Current (Pioneer 811/HCA855) thinking future?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChadLB, Jan 12, 2004.

1. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Would the HK 230 be a great improvement of the Pioneer 811?

What about the 230 vs the HK 325?

How about the Outlaw 950.

Some people said that Logic 7 is a great thing. Any input would be helpful.

2. John S

John S Producer

Yes... In my auditioning, H/K's sound better than Pioneer.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

How about a list of what people have as a pre/pro with a parasound HCA855a.

4. Nick.Y

Nick.Y Auditioning

Also currently using a Pioneer 811 with the 855a and looking for a better processor.

Between the H/K 230 and Outlaw 950, I would think the Outlaw 950 would be best. You have decent amplification so what you are looking for is better processing/DAC's.

The 230 definitely has better amps than the 811 but maybe only a slightly better processor than the 811. Since you don't need amps, I don't think this would be enough of an improvement to warrant the upgrade.

I'm looking at one of the newer Yamahas RX-v1400/2400. They have the Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx format which I here is similar to Logic 7. Also consider Denon 2803/3803. If I'm not mistaken, both the Yamaha and Denon use Burr Brown DACs.

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Nick,
    What do you like about the Yamaha's?
    I myself have never been to fond of them. I have not looked at them for a while as it has been about 2 years almost since I last really looked into receivers.

What do you think about the Pioneer/Parasound combo? And what speakers are you using?

chad

6. Bill Polley

Bill Polley Second Unit

Well...you KNOW what I have. I am more than satisfied Chad. Give me until about Easter and I will hope to be up and running, then you can stop by and audition if you want!

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well Bill I really wish I could demo the 950 in my setup. Maybe in a couple of months I can do the 30 day trial thing.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Budget?

9. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Drew,
    I would like to keep it in the $800 or less market. There are alot of regular receivers that can be had but I don't know if that would be improvement......so I may just wait for a longer period as I spent alot in the last year if you look at my upgrades....

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Try something like a B&K Reference 20 preamp. It's firmware upgradeable, and can be had used for about $600 or so, check audiogon. It retailed for a couple thousand dollars back when it was new. The only drawback is that it doesn't have multichannel inputs, so no SACD/DVD-Audio.

You can get a used Rotel RSP-1066 for around $1000 on ebay, or audiogon as well if you're lucky. With the release of new products (soon hopefully), you may be able to get a good price on older models.

Basically, if you're looking for a step up, look at dedicated pre/pro units. There are quite a number of fine units that can be had for a reasonable price.

11. Nick.Y

Nick.Y Auditioning

Chad,

I like the processing capabilities of the Yamaha's for movies. I'm about 80/20 Movies/Music. I think this is one of Yamahas strong points. The new Auto Calibration feature via the YPAO will come in handy as well and DPLIIx.

The 811/855a combo is OK. I find myself noticing more detail if I'm not in Midnight or Loudness mode, but I feel more punch in one of those two modes. What mode do you listen in?

I currently run a JBL set-up N26II, N24II, NCenterII and a modified Sony WM-40 Sub. My first upgrade path is to upgrade the speakers. Most likely to Paradigm or Axiom for F/C/R with a DIY sub kit from PE. I'm also curious about the new speaker kits from Part's Express as well. I think I can get more bang for the buck going the DIY route.

I'll then upgrade the processor. I think a dedicated processor would be best, but I think some receivers will do for my needs.

12. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Nick
    I usually run mine in Loudness as that is where I get the most punch.

Your speaker setup it not bad. I think If it was me I would opt for the Axiom over the Paradigm but both seem to be a great speaker.

13. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well some thoughts then:

Outlaw 950
    B&K ref 20
    or Rotel 1066 or 1055
    Lexicon MC-1
    HK Signature 2.0

Any opinions on some other than the 950 as I have heard alot about those.

This is what I am looking for out of a preamp:
    at least 5.1
    DD
    DTS
    has inputs for DVDA and SACD
    crossovers for all speakers including sub(40hz and up)
    5 channel stereo - method preferred when watching sporting events
    Something that has a programmable/learning remote would be nice.
    I think that is it....for now.

14. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The Rotel takes the cake there I think. Looks great, excellent and solid performer, good customer service, and upgradeable.

BTW, The Ref 20 doesn't have 5.1 multichannel ins. You'll have to ge the Ref 30 if you want those.

15. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Drew,
    Is the 1066 upgradeable if you buy used?

16. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well I am still thinking of the following:
    Outlaw 950
    B&K ref 20
    or Rotel 1066 or 1055
    though I can't find the B&K's locally any more. I am also interested in the new NAD and Sherwood pre/pro.

Any opinions from others.