Current HD Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Malloy, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Max Malloy

Max Malloy Stunt Coordinator

I heard someone mention something about all current HD hardware being obsolete because the standard was changed or something like that? Could someone clarify please? I was planning on getting an HDTV but i'm not so sure anymore.

2. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

First off, this is probably going to get moved by a moderator since this is the hardware area not HDTV. But since this is my 500th post (I had to post one more time before I crashed) I would say that the standard isn't going to change to the point where you would not be able to buy a new control box. I would buy an HDTV "Ready" set and you'll be in pretty good shape for the next few years at the very least. In the last 2 years there has been lots of confusoin around this, but I say go for it, it rocks.
    ------------------
    Jeff Leeds
    jeff_leeds@hotmail.com

3. Max Malloy

Max Malloy Stunt Coordinator

Need more info still [​IMG]

4. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

OK, here is the short version.
    Current HDTV-ready sets have analog connectors to hook up to an HD receiver. Hollywood does not like that. They want a secure digital connector which they could somehow flag the signal to restrict how the end-user uses the signal. Basically this is a copyright issue. Hollywood wants to make sure that nobody makes pirate copies of HDTV transmissions. These new digital interfaces (primarily either firewire or DVI) would allow the studio, broadcaster, or whoever to allow no-copies, one-copy, or unlimited copies of a transmission.
    If one of these digital connectors eventually wins out, then any tv without those digital connectors could conceivably be made less-than-HDTV. The common consensus is that analog connectors would not be turned off, but rather down-rezzed to something like 480p. Which is better than NTSC 480i, but significantly less than HDTV's 720p or 1080i.
    So, in summation, no an HDTV won't be obsolete if digital connections come to fruition (which they eventually will), but current HDTV's won't really be HDTV on all signals. Remember, they'll still have the capability- it just depends on how the broadcaster/studios flag the signal. It's possible that most programs won't be down-rezzed, perhaps just PPV or premium movie channels.
    Should you buy? that's up to you. My advise is that if you really have the urge and there is plenty of HDTV in your area- go ahead. We're talking at least 3 years before any of these connection issues matter much. If you aren't sure or you don't want to buy a new tv in 5 years or so- wait a couple of years to see what happens with digital connectors and tvs start shipping with them.
    hope this helps.
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

5. MickB

MickB Agent

BradZ said it perfectly.