1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Current DVD player advise

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nelson Au, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I'm planning and designing a cabinet I'll be building that will house my DVD player, center channel, PS2 and DVR (well, current VCR).

I currently have a Pioneer Elite DVL-91 DVD/LD player and it's very deep, about 18 inches. SInce I am planning this cabinet for a new Plasma screen, either Panasonic or Sony, I figure I'll purchase a new DVD player if it best takes advantage of the plasma. In doing a very quick look at the current Pioneer DVD players, they look so slim vertically and shallow in depth, about 9 inches deep and 16 to 18 wide. If they're all this small with the higher quality players, I could make my cabinet smaller. I do like that the Pio players do SACD and DVD-A.

What I am curious about, since I have not done any real research yet on DVD players (focused on plasmas), what's the current hot player that's a good combo with a plasma and has HDMI output. And are these players similar in dimension that I mentioned above? Insights appreciated for places to look to so I can finalize the cabinet design.

By the way, I know HD DVD is on the horizon, but perhaps they'll be a bit delayed if they can't figure out the HD format standard. So buying a player today could serve me till they're out.

Thanks! Nelson

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil