Current DVD player advise

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nelson Au, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Mar 16, 1999
    I'm planning and designing a cabinet I'll be building that will house my DVD player, center channel, PS2 and DVR (well, current VCR).

I currently have a Pioneer Elite DVL-91 DVD/LD player and it's very deep, about 18 inches. SInce I am planning this cabinet for a new Plasma screen, either Panasonic or Sony, I figure I'll purchase a new DVD player if it best takes advantage of the plasma. In doing a very quick look at the current Pioneer DVD players, they look so slim vertically and shallow in depth, about 9 inches deep and 16 to 18 wide. If they're all this small with the higher quality players, I could make my cabinet smaller. I do like that the Pio players do SACD and DVD-A.

What I am curious about, since I have not done any real research yet on DVD players (focused on plasmas), what's the current hot player that's a good combo with a plasma and has HDMI output. And are these players similar in dimension that I mentioned above? Insights appreciated for places to look to so I can finalize the cabinet design.

By the way, I know HD DVD is on the horizon, but perhaps they'll be a bit delayed if they can't figure out the HD format standard. So buying a player today could serve me till they're out.

Thanks! Nelson
  2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000