What's new

Current Denon 3802 owner considering the 3803 (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I currently have Klipsch Reference mains (RF3 v2, RC3 v2, RS3 v2) and a pair of SVS 20-39CS+'s. I was considering another RC3 v2 for a rear center. I just purchased the DVD-2200 and the DCM-380 CD Changer to compliment my Denon receiver. However since I am in the upgrade mood is it really a worthwhile move to go to the 3803 for the Burr-Brown DAC's and other refinements?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
John: Here is a post I made a while back. I went from a 3802 to a 3803 last year and have been very happy. I have only used mine (both the 3802 and 3803) as a pre/pro's with an external amp. In my own case, sonically, I didn't hear much of a difference between the 2. I made the change for some of the other differences.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I also went from the 3802 to 03,Chuck covered it pretty well.Sound wise very similar,better features,remote,and several other advances.It cost me about $250 to change,I also would do it again.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I really appreciate the replies. I recall doing a search a few days ago and came across your detailed list, Chuck, and that's one reason I decided to make this post. When I bought my 3802 in Dec. 2001 I also picked up a HTM MX500 remote and hands down it's the most user friendly remote I have come across (for the price).

The only external amp I have is the Samson S1000 for the dual SVS subs. Since my Klipsch Ref. mains are very efficient, I don't think the extra power that the 3803 provides would be beneficial.

I have my Hughes E86 HDTV STB and DVD-2200 component outputs connected directly to my 53UWX10B.

The nice feature about the DVD-2200 is that it offers full bass mgmt. and sub level adjustment for DVD-A/SACD. I've tested it out and I can really tell a difference as compared to my older JVC SA70BK DVD-A player. It's a night and day difference.

I think another feature that the 3803 offered was a 12v trigger. This could allow my Panamax 5300 to be turned on/off I assume?

Hopefully the additional details I am able to provide will be beneficial to future replies. Thanks!

Hi,

Both a friend and I went through the same decsion making process some months ago. Thankfully we got some helpful posts and advice (some dating back to 2002) re the benefits of adding separate amplificaiton to the 3802 or 3803. Look up posts with 3802 as Pre pro or Reciever Pre Pro etc. and you'll find some.

Bottom line - the difference through adding good amplification to most HT reciever and espectially the 3802 or 3803 is simply astonishing - 100% better sound & details I'd simply never heard before. (I went for the Rotel RMB 1075 5 channel amp, but there are several other excellent amps available (such as Outlaw) and lots of posts with great advice). Setreo sound was a revelation - and thats with my 95db for 1w speakers so the Denon wasn't strained. Its just there's nothing like a dedicated quality amp to drive speakers cleanly. And once you've made the investment then it's easy to upgrade the pre pro as many times as you like.

Do the search, have a listen from a friendly dealer, and I'll bet you won't ever go back....

CurtisC

Second Unit
I also use rf7's with my 3803 and a Parasound 1205a amp,external amp really juiced it up.The trigger was one of the reasons I went from the 02 to 03,although you can trigger from 02 w/adaptor.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
On paper anyway, the 3803 looks like it should have upgraded sound as well as features over the 3802, but I don't know if the average person could actually hear the difference though.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The difference was a slighly more open sound. The 3802 had a darker, perhaps more rounded bass sound. The 3803 sounds cleaner to me.

For me, the video up conversion was worth it alone. Simplifies my system greatly.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I too could honestly say the 3803 sounds a little better on top of having improved features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks