What's new

Current consumption (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Of course Saurav!:) when I say I need two 15 amp outlets I mean dedicated outlets without the dishwasher and the dryer going off the same outlet. In my house I have all the kitchen appliances and the kithen lights on a separate 20 amp breaker. The living room and the dining room have their own 15 amp breaker and the washer, dryer and water heater etc are on separate 30 amp outlets. I have a 200 amp main breaker. That brings up the next question, what if I get anal in the future and want to upgrade to a 20 amp outlet. Can I just swap the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp one in the main breaker box? I have 12 ga. wiring thru out so I don't think the wiring would be a problem. Any thoughts on that? I dont want to be calling an electrician to upgrade my home wiring.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Yogi:

Don't stick your finger in the wrong place........... Electricians can be cheap. Did you say you are going to use 2 15 A breakers exclusively for home theater? I may be reading your post wrong.

If that's the case - are you saying that my idea to install a 20 Amp dedicated service may not be enough as I add on?

thanks for your reply!

Mike

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
when I say I need two 15 amp outlets I mean dedicated outlets without the dishwasher and the dryer going off the same outlet
I assume you mean they're not on the same power circuit. Of course they're not on the same outlet from the wall :) But if your kitchen appliances and computer are on a separate breaker, that's probably the same thing as running dedicated lines for audio.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Cmon Saurav you are kidding right:), what did you think I meant when I said dedicated outletS. Would saying dedicated circuit make it more clear? OK so I think just having two dedicated 15 Amp CIRCUITS for your HT needs is plenty for most of us and there is no need to upgrade to a dedicated 20 amp CIRCUIT.
Did you say you are going to use 2 15 A breakers exclusively for home theater? I may be reading your post wrong.
Yes, most of us can find that in our homes, that is two dedicated 15 amp circuits for out HT needs and dont need to upgrade to a 20 amp circuit. Also I am saying that its only necessary if you need to feel safe. Most of us as I showed from my first example would be fine with just one dedicated 15 amp circuit as our power needs would never go above 12 amps at most. If you have a 20 amp dedicated circuit then you are all set. There is no need for worry there.
Brae, no gas in my kitchen just all electric. Conventional oven, Refrigrator, 2KW microwave, dishwasher, the lamps and garbage disposal. All electric.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
what did you think I meant when I said dedicated outletS
Just that the fridge and the audio system aren't going to the same hole in the wall, they're going to different holes. At least, that's what I understand by the word "outlet". However, different outlets in a home could be on the same circuit, wired to the same circuit breaker. For instance, in my apartment, one circuit breaker controls a bunch of outlets in the living room and maybe even the kitchen. Or at least, I think it does.
That's all I was trying to say - it might be a good idea to have a dedicated circuit + breaker for the audio/video gear.
You did say your appliances are on a separate circuit breaker, which means they're on a separate circuit, which is something I said already.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure we're both saying the same thing. I hope I'm a little clearer this time about what I was trying to say :)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I've found with these posts that it takes a lot of time soemtimes to say things - that can be interrupted a different way with this written material. I certainly am guilty of this because I'm talking on the phone while writing this..............
But, I'm glad my 20 amp decision seems right to you guys.
Thanks!
Mike;)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Yea,

Brae cna't you tell by now I can't spell and am dislexic?

Plus I was on the phone with my woman man!:b

TTYS..............

Mikey

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Whew!
I'd better quit talking on the phone - while typing.
Not good. But the definition of a woman man is the woman who has her man whipped. And further she wears the pants in the family , now one could come up with other stuff to describe this situation in life that have equally obtuse meanings but if your starting a club - I qualify.
Mike;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks