Current built-in decoding vs. old Technics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Wilson, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Auditioning

Sep 1, 1998

My ancient (in DVD years) Panasonic A-310 player is finally about to give up the ghost, so I'm looking to buy a new one.

Currently I'm using an old Technics DD/DTS standalone decoder. Bought it back when DTS's future was still uncertain and had not been integrated into many receivers and players yet.

It has served me well, but I was wondering if the decoding had changed significantly enough in the past 4 years that I would hear a noticeable improvement using a current-generation DVD player's internal decoding rather than the old Technics.

If the improvement is there, I'm definitely going for a player with internal decoding and clearing up some space taken up by the Technics. If not, I might just save a little money and continue as I have been.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

Jul 17, 2000
    I have found the issue of DVD player built in decoders to be anything but simple. I have an Audio Refinement Pre-5, an analog preamp with 5.1 channel input. I started with a Sony 900 DVD player. I did not like the speaker balance function and I felt its decoding ability was only marginal--sound field was not very enveloping and the timbre across the front was awful. I am now using a Philips Q50. The decoding is very good, and speaker level adjustment is more flexible, but I do not like the bass management. I am using an Outlaw ICBM to handle BM and this is working out very well. I feel the quality of sound from this set up is equal to the sound I get when I use my DD/DTS preamp (an Audio Refinement DSP-2)
  3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999

It depends on how picky you are and how good the decoder is in the DVD player you buy. Any new DVD-A or SACD player will have a built in DTS decoder. You could simplify your setup if you delete the external DTS decoder. IMO you won't hear a significant difference (if you notice any difference at all) between a modern built-in decoder and your Technics. I could be wrong.