1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, what is the most expencive speaker wire you've seen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

What is the most expencive speaker wire you have seen? Of course I am not going to buy it; I'm running Home Depot 14 gauge in my theater, hehe. I can remember seeing some Vampire wire running at $24 a foot. Anyone know of anything higher? I'm just curious.

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I think the Special Edition Valhalla Bi-Wire cable from Nordost was the most expensive I've seen.
    IIRC, it was $8000 for 3 Meters. [​IMG]

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

That I have personally seen/heard? Transparent XL Reference, at about $10,000 for a ten foot pair.
    That I have seen on the net? Siltech "?" for over $25,000 for a ten foot pair.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Oh yeah, I have a few pairs of that Siltech stuff. It's so great it makes Brittany Spears sound like she can sing.

NOT!

--Steve (sorry, couldn't help it)

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Yes, yes the Siltech made my home recordings of my battle w/ constipation sound like Jewel.

Amazing stuff... that wire.:b

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

This speaker wire is without a doubt the thickest and most expensive ever created. I believe less than 100 people actually own it.
    Anaconda Speaker Wire

7. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Mothraresearch is a joke. Its a common Audio Asylum joke. I hope you knew that, I think you did. [​IMG]

8. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Kharma Grand Reference speaker cables. $8000 for a 2 meter pair. Gold and silver conductor. So you say why get silver cables when the rest of the wiring on the signal chain is made out of tin or copper? Not if you go the full path with Kharma electronics and speakers. The preamp and power amp are hard wired with silver cables. The pot has silver contacts. The speaker has silver wiring, silver inductor, silver leads for resistor/capacitor and silver winding in the voice coil.

9. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

That's a good laugh Ric. And those Transparent cables are the highest I've seen. Yikes.

Bruce

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'll go to Home Depot and charge you 10 times the price for their basic wire.
    Nordost is the most expensive I've seen in person. [​IMG]

11. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

check out the whole transparent line.

One local dealer has their Dynaudio Evidence speakers hooked up with garden hose sized transparents that cost well over $25,000. He told me what they cost, but I don't remember because I was laughing so hard.

Transparent does make some really nice speaker cable at reasonable prices though. I use their low end stuff in my audio only system. I really like their cheaper interconnects as well. But since my amp is only $1500 and my speakers only $1000, I decided not to go with the $10,000 speaker cables. It's a judgement that I regret at times, but since I wanted to remain married I think I made the right decision.

12. DennisZ

DennisZ Agent

BradZ, they are the new Transparent Opal or Opus
    about $30K I said Yea right!!![​IMG]
    Denny