Curious issue concerning CPU power w/ HTPC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohanK, Jan 6, 2002.

1. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I had a curious issue w/ my HTPC. I was running an 800EB on an Asus TUSL2-C mobo. HDD is a Quantum 4GB ATA66/5400rpm while sound card is Philips AE and vid card is Radeon 64MB VIVO; DVD drive is Toshiba 1502. FPTV is an Electrohome ECP400. Resolution for DVD playback w/ PowerDVD 3.0 is 1024*768*32 under 98SE.

W/ the 800 P3, I had a flicker in the video image at random moments when playing some DVDs. I am at a loss to explain this. To fix the problem, I inserted the TUSL2-C mobo and CPU from my regular computer back into the HTPC in place of the 800EB and the TUSL2-C mobo it is on; the flickering is now gone. The 800EB is now running @ 929 (155FSB) in my regular PC w/ no problems.

Anybody have any idea why this would happen? I was always under the impression that an 800 MHz CPU was more than enough for software DVD playback.

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

when you say flicker do you mean stutter? like jerky playback? or flicker in that the picture actually disappears momentarily or something.

3. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

The flicker problem showed up as flashes of black on portions of the projected image; kindof like a frame drop, I guess.

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

hmm, don't know.

maybe power as in voltage perhaps?

as far as I can tell, the suggested minumum for good DVD playback would be around 500MHZ...but it never hurts to have as much as possible..

perhaps OC'ing the FSB a bit would help, even if you had to reduce the multiplier.