What's new

Curious, how many have been scared away from Plasmas by the Master Burn-In thread? (1 Viewer)

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
I was gonna buy a Panasonic EDTV plasma, but not now. Seems that even with the new technology that helps agains burn-in, burn-in still happens!!

I'll play it safe and buy an LCD and sacrifice 7"-11" for the same price.

P.S. I play a ton of video games in marathon sessions.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Alot of game? One of the primary uses?

I'd go with LCD RP. 60"+'rs under $3000 now.

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, alot! :) The display will go in my bedroom and I truly need a flat panel to free up some room. I will however eventually purchase an LCD RP for my living room sometime this year. There's a 55" Sony Grand Wega on Ebay for about $2,600.00

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have a somewhat hard time liking larger direct view LCD though. Not sure why but it seems once you hit the 30" mark or so, they just don't hold up on PQ for me.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I used the Master Burn in thread as well as pricing issues to deter some of my friends from Plasma. Eventhough, if I recall, the burn in factor is about 10 to 15 years in the future, if games are an issue, there are some scenes that are fixed and can be for long periods of time depending on the level of the game including the game itself. I think it's easier to fix burn issues with CRTs just by changing the lamps but Plasma is whole different story.

Halen

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh...but I'm an "unspoiled" one. See, I've been viewing all my TV on a 61" Hitachi Standard Def. Projection TV. I can't for the life of me remember the model though. I can say that the picture on it is absolutley stunning for a standard def. And the colors are blissful. I swear, had it not been for the gorgeous picture it displays and for the fact that, it being 61", widescreen movies still look big even with a 4:3 aspect, I would purchased a new HDTV big screen over a year ago. But looking at how thin the new big screens have become, I'm drooling at being able to regain a good 15 to 19 inches of space in my living room. My set is huge! It's 66"Hx50"Wx34"D, but somehow she still remains sexy!:D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I am not worried about burn in at all. Because I don't play games, and I will have a properly calibrated set, and the newer plasmas are better than the old ones in this regard. I probably will never buy an LCD flatscreen because I am *more* worried about poor contrast, poor blacks, and colors that just do not match up well against comparably priced plasmas. Plus, I don't like the image lag that most LCD's exhibit.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I can't speak to the replacement of the plasma panel, but CRTs use tubes not lamps, and they can run quite costly. With a direct view it's the most expensive part, it's the entire body of the set pretty much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks