1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Curious about the Maelstrom

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelAngelo, Mar 8, 2003.

1. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have comments or experience on a Maelstrom for a home sub? I don't see much mention of it here; with the price cut is it a better deal? Or are there better drivers for the money ($225.00) ??
    Thx for any help

Mike

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If you need a higher efficiency driver with a low "Q" then it's a good deal.

There are 15"s with as much displacement, but they need quite a bit more amplifier power

3. MichaelAngelo

so, skipping the Maelstrom....

no AVs, options dwindling....

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

What size room? How loud do you want it?

5. MichaelAngelo

Jack,
    1600 cu ft (20x10x8), reinforced Morgan Building is my H/T for now.Looking for a cleaner sound than I currently have.(2 15" square kicker solobarics in a 25 cu ft box )

I was thinking of adding a Maelstrom or two, just for music, but never having heard the Maelstrom, I have no basis for comparison...

I have owned 2 commercial subs, a CerwinVega LW12 (really a powered woofer), and a Velodyne CT-120.Both disappointed me. I sold the Velo and CV to setup the current sub.

With the Solos, extension is there, impact, etc. But I can't help but feel theres better drivers, having followed this forum a while. (And, is any guy ever really satisfied with either his stereo or his car??)
    They are great for HT, but I suspect another driver would be better for music. (all kinds- rock, lots of jazz, some classical, blues)
    I'm using the PE plate amps FWIW, been watching what y'all say about the various pro amps, my budget doesn't allow for the best amps, so Tumult and Brahma may be out as well.

6. The best deal (price/performance) on drivers right now is the Lambda LE drivers IMO.

www.lambdacoustics.com

since you can have have a large box, how about a pair of SB15LE's [​IMG]

sealed only with these ones.

7. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Anthony, do you happen to have the specs for the 15" LE? What size of enclosure for a sealed one? The prices on those things are amazing!

I have a new AV12, but wouldn't mind selling it and buying one of the LE 15s to save some cash. Would that be a down grade if I did that? I was going for sealed anyway.

8. all the driver specs are here:
    http://www.lambdacoustics.com/drivers.html

select the series and within that, you have the specific specs. the LE's have an Le of 2mh.

SB15LE-poly cone
    http://www.lambdacoustics.com/drivers/SB15.html
    SB15LE-paper cone
    http://www.lambdacoustics.com/drivers/SB15.html

All lambda drivers come in 4 or 8(some of them 16) ohms[​IMG]

is it a downgrade? not sure. The sound quality may be better or equal to (IMO) to the AV's. The pricing is dirt cheap. the SB-s "don't do" vented/PR's. The AV12 has 2.3L displacement (don't know how you calculate 2.5L with 23mm and 498sd), and the SB-15 has 2.1L (14mm linear xmax). The SB goes much lower in a sealed box. Sb requires a much larger box.

I think the SB is the way to go for sealed music apps and the AV for ported/PR HT...again just my opinion.

enclosure wise, with the poly version with heay stuffing:
    Q=0.8=125L, F3=30hz
    Q=0.707=206L F3=28.3hz
    Q=0.6=499L, F3=28hz

9. MichaelAngelo

thanks to all for the replies

10. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Here is the documentation for the Maelstrom I built last year. I love the way it sounds for both music and HT but I have something larger in the works [​IMG]

11. MichaelAngelo

Very nice sub Kyle. BTW, larger?? Care to expand on that a bit?? [​IMG]

12. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

I've been wondering about the Maelstrom as well, and the only project i've seen/found online is Kyle !! (it's linked from Adire Audio page)

I'm kinda new at this... but I plugged in the numbers in WinISD and it seems to perform more as a "musical" sub than a HT one ... with very good > 25Hz performance and efficiency. The tempest seems to go lower but with less SPL overall ... i'm i reading it correctly?

thanks...

13. MichaelAngelo

Anthony,

The SAL-sb15 looks very intriguing, esp the low fs. Looking into it more...

14. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The Maelstom is a VERY musical subwoofer (and people still say 18"s can be tight and musical) but with mine tuned at 21Hz and in room response I am perfectly flat to right about 20Hz. If you want high SPL without spending a lot on a high powered amplifier the Maelstrom is a very good choice.
    Michael,
    Well, its actually about the same size, called the Everest, displaces 6 more liters per stroke, and has 1850 more watts.