curious about pre-orders

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Every Tuesday new releases come out right? (exception...M.I.3, & Ultimate Missions set) What i'm curious about is this......If you pre-order any new release, IF you get it with next-day air/shipping, does it come on Wednesday to most places? Or do any of you folks get them on the ACTUAL day they are released?

Ronn.W

Second Unit
It depends on the retailer, when they get the DVDs, and what their policies are. I don't do overnight shipping, but usually Amazon ships out a few days earlier than the release date to get your the DVD on or right after the release date. Best Buy seems to ship right on the release date, and DeepDiscountDVD seems to ship it whenever they have it, and not care too much about release dates.

But, all of the above is just generalizing. I've had a mix of experiences from those and different retailers. If it's something I HAVE TO HAVE, I'll go buy it at the store on release day. If it's something that can wait, or probably won't be at most stores, I'll order it online.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Amazon will ship it...like on a Thursday or Friday-BEFORE the actual release day? Well, this is good news then, as i'm gonna pre-order some stuff now! Up until now, I would wait for that Tuesday, and just go the local Best Buy, Border's or Wal-Mart. Thanks, Ronn!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
mike, if you have the patience to wait a few days, here's a tip -

I always use the free shipping from Amazon - they state that the free shipping is like 5-7 business days, but I've actually gotten DVD pre-orders the day AFTER their release date!!! I think once I even got the DVD the day of!!! Amazon ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Of course, there are times when it does take a few extra days, but Amazon's track record has been pretty damn good.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
In the past, I used to get Amazon orders about 8 calendar days after they had shipped, even though they specify that international orders take 10-21 business days to arrive. Better yet, they would sometimes ship out pre-orders early with that estimate in mind, and since we got our stuff earlier than the estimate, in effect we'd get discs BEFORE official release date in the US!

Sadly, with tightened customs screening, nowadays any Amazon order inevitably takes 3 weeks from shipment to arrive on my doorstep.

As an aside, since retailers here aren't supposed to get R1 discs anyway, they don't care about the official release date, and once they get it from their suppliers and it's cleared local censorship board vetting, they'll put on display and sell any release they get. I recall years ago I bought Titan AE (R1) about a week or two in a shop before the official US release date. Having said that, this phenomenon seems rarer nowadays, either because the censorship process is taking longer, or perhaps I just don't notice because I'm not as gung-ho in getting everything immediately upon release any longer, and therefore don't always remember or even notice release dates.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I got the the amazon exclusive half-full Astaire & Rogers Complete Collection the day of the release and chose free shipping. This does not always happen though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
I always use Amazon's free shipping, and usually get new releases a day or two after Tuesday. Deep Discount DVD is a complete crapshoot -- I'll get new releases anywhere from release day to 3 weeks later. The vast majority of my business goes to Amazon. I haven't purchased a DVD in a brick and mortar store in long time.

RobLe

Stunt Coordinator
The one time I preordered an item from Amazon (Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut) I actually got it a day before it was released in stores

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
1 week early, maybe 2 including shipping to Fiji. Otherwise on street date, rarely a week after.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
What I do is a giant pre-order that wont ship until the end of the month. Then if I see the items I want in the stores cheaper, I can just cancel them off my pre-order. That way I always get the best possible price!

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
The online DVD store I shop with, has just notified me that they have shipped out my pre order of The Paul Newman Collection. It isn't due for release until the 14th. Come to think of it, when I ordered the James Stewart Signature Collection, it was sent about two weeks early.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

I've tried that with Amazon, but when I cancel one item they ship everything else as it becomes available -- though they still give me the free shipping.

And DDD doesn't have a "hold till complete" option, so it's not good doing it through them.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
I order from Amazon as well, and my preorders (mostly free super saver shipping) usually arrive the day after the release date (they prepare it on Sunday and ship out on Mondays). There is only two occasions where I experienced some delays in shipping, such as Animaniacs: Volume 1 and Monster House.

I don't think I've gotten a preorder on the release date or before, but you never know what they're going to do.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akhenax