Curiosity Rover lands safely on Mars

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Job well done, NASA! :patriot:
I'm pretty excited by both the achievement of safely landing a 1 ton robot explorer on Mars and the information that will be obtained by said explorer in the coming years.
- Walter.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to the cameras coming online and the other info we learn.
Still amazes me that something like this can be done. I just picture the math, physics, engineering, etc. that goes into something like this and how the tiniest mistake can ruin it. Of course I also picture the committee after committee, the endless meetings, etc. and the incredible bureaucracy behind this.
But they got it right, will be fun to watch as photos and other data make it back to earth.
Hope it landed in a good spot where'll we will learn a little more than we have from past missions.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
How cool is this?!!!!
http://io9.com/5932151/a-photograph-of-curiosity-during-landing-has-been-leaked?tag=msl
- Walter.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
What an achievement! The technology involved in this landing and the risks make this especially exciting. As others have said - can't wait for more from Curiosity. Have you checked out the twitter feed that has been set up for Curiosity? Pretty funny.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
That's a great picture. They stated the odd's were about 60% they'd capture a similar photo, but I'll bet they were a hell of a lot more remote than that. Just think of everything that had to be just right for that to work out, pretty incredible.
Darn good photo and looking forward to even more spectacular shots from the surface.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
What really amazed me was how perfectly this had to go to work out, especially the landing sequence. Don't recall where I read it but it was an incredibly complex process.
Every step had to be absolutely perfect or the whole mission could have failed. From an NBC article, all the following pieces had to perform properly, be ejected properly and far enough away to not affect the Rover.
'The spacecraft has also captured images of the rover resting inside Gale Crater, and it spotted where Curiosity's sky crane, parachute, heat shield, backshell and ejected ballast came down.'
If any one of those excess parts necessary for landing hadn't worked correctly, landed on or damaged the Rover, mission fails.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you aren't following Sarcastic Rover on Twitter you should be!
SarcasticRover ‏@SarcasticRover
We sent SCIENCE to Mars… not investment banking or religion or politics... we sent SCIENCE. And that matters.
I'm really excited about doing all this science and finding dark matter and gluons and you don't give a shit because Robert Pattinson.
If "2001: A Space Odyssey" has any kind of moral, it's that you probably shouldn't piss off a computer who can kill you. GOT IT?
Speaking of desolate lifeless wastelands, who's still using Google+?
Did a science on the atmosphere - found trace levels of Helium-4, Carbon-12 and something called "Mambo Number 5."
https://twitter.com/sarcasticrover

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ok, some of those are pretty funny. I laughed out loud at the "Mambo Number 5" one.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This week's Time magazine also printed a few @SarcasticRover comments.
Great...100,000,000 miles and I'm stuck in a damn crater. Awesome.
What they don't show you inside that parachute photo is me inside the capsule pissing myself in sheer terror.
I'm going to take a nap...even though all the science here is super important and...LOL JK, I'M JUST SIFTING DIRT LIKE A BEACH-HOBO.
I'm going to have to start following this, never even heard of it until today.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Let's also hope your kid doesn't require heat.
From another @SarcasticRover comment, "Mars can get down to -153 Celsius. Good thing no one bothered to pack me a sweater! Idiots."

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgiastevenson