Curio Cabinets

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Craig F, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Does anyone have some recommendations for who makes quality curio cabinets? I ordered one made by Pulaski from a furniture store. They had limited floor models so I took a gamble and picked one out of a catalog.

The quality is horrible. The shelves are so thin they bow under the weight of just one statue. They will need to hold at least three. The general construction is not that great either. Then the doors are on the side and so narrow some statues don’t fit in.

Anyway, the store is willing to let me pick out another cabinet so I am looking for suggestions. I don’t want a large one. I’m looking for a width of 30 to 34 inches and a height of about 5 feet. I could go taller, but would like one that I can put things on top of.

2. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

How much are you looking to spend? Any particular style that you're after?

3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Ideally, I'd like to stay under $1500. I would spend a bit more if that's what it takes to get good quality.

As for styling, I like it more traditional, like Early American. Doesn’t need to be fancy, I prefer more simplistic designs. Something with a darker reddish finish like cherry or mahogany.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I've pretty well concluded that I'll find someone to custom build.

Most I see in furniture stores are too large, in very unimaginative "trad" styles, suffering from some combination of poor lighting, difficult access, or are just plain ugly-tacky.

5. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I beginning to see that. So far the one I ordered is the only one I have found that is not seven feet tall. Most are too wide as well. I would just get custom shelves made if it weren’t for the lousy access. A seven inch door on the side doesn’t cut it. All the ones on the show floor had front access.