Cure for Video Interference

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DaleC, Jan 26, 2005.

1. DaleC

DaleC Agent

Hi there,
    I bought a new DVD player about 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed that when I watch anything on disks, there is some video interference. The interference is diagonal lines across the screen. It's really hard to notice sometimes, but when there is a solid, bright background (eg: a hospital wall in Law & Order), it's easy to see.

Does anyone have a cure for this? I'm assuming that it's a problem with the S-Video cable that I'm using. So, if I change to a better quality cable, should that solve my problems, or is it better to use component cables over the S-Video (Something I've never been quite clear on).

Thanks for any input.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You should see a slight increase in picture quality using a component connection over an s-video.

As far as your interference issue goes, it could be a number of causes (rf interference, improperly grounded circuit, etc..) but, I'd check the cable first. Try switching to a quality component cable and let us know your results.

3. DaleC

DaleC Agent

Changing cables seems to have fixed the problem. I guess it was just a crappy S-Video cable. I'll go pick up a decent one today.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dale - try your old cable but:

- Make sure the SVideo cable does not run in parallel with any power wires. This includes AC power and speaker wires.

- Make sure the SVideo cable does not try to do sharp bends. This is really bad for video cables.

Now look for interference.

If you do by a new cable, I like the AR Pro2 cables you can get at Sears or Best Buy. Or for only a few bucks more, places like www.bluejeanscables.com can build you a custom cable using stuff normally sold to broadcast houses. Not mega-bucks by any means.