1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cure for Video Interference

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DaleC, Jan 26, 2005.

1. DaleC

DaleC Agent

Hi there,
    I bought a new DVD player about 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed that when I watch anything on disks, there is some video interference. The interference is diagonal lines across the screen. It's really hard to notice sometimes, but when there is a solid, bright background (eg: a hospital wall in Law & Order), it's easy to see.

Does anyone have a cure for this? I'm assuming that it's a problem with the S-Video cable that I'm using. So, if I change to a better quality cable, should that solve my problems, or is it better to use component cables over the S-Video (Something I've never been quite clear on).

Thanks for any input.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You should see a slight increase in picture quality using a component connection over an s-video.

As far as your interference issue goes, it could be a number of causes (rf interference, improperly grounded circuit, etc..) but, I'd check the cable first. Try switching to a quality component cable and let us know your results.

3. DaleC

DaleC Agent

Changing cables seems to have fixed the problem. I guess it was just a crappy S-Video cable. I'll go pick up a decent one today.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dale - try your old cable but:

- Make sure the SVideo cable does not run in parallel with any power wires. This includes AC power and speaker wires.

- Make sure the SVideo cable does not try to do sharp bends. This is really bad for video cables.

Now look for interference.

If you do by a new cable, I like the AR Pro2 cables you can get at Sears or Best Buy. Or for only a few bucks more, places like www.bluejeanscables.com can build you a custom cable using stuff normally sold to broadcast houses. Not mega-bucks by any means.