What's new

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 9 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked when Larry was talking about his thought process on holding the door since I do a similar thing. A few years ago, I started using distance as the sole determining factor in holding a door and decided to hold the door for every man, woman or child to avoid a situation that Larry found himself in.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Larry speaks what most people think but don't say and the situations he finds himself in are relatable to people across all political, social, and economic spectrums. Yes, some parts are uncomfortable and I occasionally fast forward through particularly vulgar passages, but I rarely laugh as hard and consistently as I do watching Larry or Veep.

I've watched the opener twice already and will watch again before Sunday.

I only ask that Larry not do any more shower scenes! Bald 70 year skinny men do not look good in HD.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Loved the premiere, although didn't love the whole "fatwa" thing. That seemed a little too Seinfeldy to me. Plus, in looking at what a fatwa truly is, it doesn't necessarily mean an order to kill.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
"Everybody wants to be a pickle-jar hero."

cye_s09e02_01.png

cye_s09e02_03.png

"You need rotation. You need tempo. You need feel!"

cye_s09e02_02.png

"Maybe you're just not my physical type?"

cye_s09e02_05.png

cye_s09e02_04.png

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I loved the last shot where Larry shouts like the closing of the laptop causes physical pain on him.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DT!
SB!
JK!
MP!
KC!
MM!
Yeah!
Rudy Giulianiiiiiiiiiii!
Yeah, yeah!
Rougher, Larry! Rougher!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
- I don't know if we have anything
in common that way, you know?
Do you think?
- Well, we're both people.
We're Earthlings,
we breathe, we eat

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Fred Goldman disguise is hilarious. I love how you can see the wig hanging on the coat rack at Larry's house.

The "My name is Chappy Johnson..." and "I think there is a half open pickle jar in the fridge" lines are just brilliant in their simplicity and delivery.

It takes me 2 or 3 viewings per episode to pick up on all the subtleties and ironies. Little Funkhouser only had his arm broken because Big Funkhouser invited himself over for lunch. Yet both Big and Little use Larry's house for the encounter with Paula?

Sad there are only 8 more episodes left. Well worth the six year wait though.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I think the season has been a little too "Seinfeldy" but it's also been hilarious so I guess that's okay. Although I wonder if I'd be thinking as highly of it if Leon wasn't in it. Man that dude just cracks me up. And what's odd is that I've seen JB Smoove do stand up and other things and he's not nearly as funny as he is as Leon.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Larry speaks what most people think but don't say and the situations he finds himself in are relatable to people across all political, social, and economic spectrums. Yes, some parts are uncomfortable and I occasionally fast forward through particularly vulgar passages, but I rarely laugh as hard and consistently as I do watching Larry or Veep.

I've always wondered how much of Curb is real when it comes to L.A. I'm sure much of it is exaggerated, but from the one-two times I've been there it certainly seems to be a place that isn't like anywhere else on the planet. Is the culture there like the way it's shown. Like everyone having their handouts for tips for even the most trivial acts, people expecting tips on top of tips? Weird social conventions, imposing sizeable favor requests on people with no second thought at all, replacing an entire, untouched cookie tray because someone didn't use the tongs etc.

Loved the premiere, although didn't love the whole "fatwa" thing. That seemed a little too Seinfeldy to me. Plus, in looking at what a fatwa truly is, it doesn't necessarily mean an order to kill.

I'm kind of surprised that Curb so far hasn't gotten an Islamaphobia rap. Personally I'm not bothered but the Fatwa plotline seems like the kind of thing someone out there would get offended over.

"Maybe you're just not my physical type?"

cye_s09e02_05.png

cye_s09e02_04.png

Just something very funny about seeing Mary arm in arm with a Larry doppleganger especially after her telling him he's not her physical type (I initially thought that Larry would take that as Mary being a bald-ist). However he seems to do well with the Palestinian Chicken woman (at least until she was dragged away mid coitus by Leon's security guy) so there's that.

Although I wonder if I'd be thinking as highly of it if Leon wasn't in it. Man that dude just cracks me up. And what's odd is that I've seen JB Smoove do stand up and other things and he's not nearly as funny as he is as Leon.

(Re)watch the first few seasons before Leon was introduced. Leon adds a lot but AFAIC Curb has always been great.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm kind of surprised that Curb so far hasn't gotten an Islamaphobia rap. Personally I'm not bothered but the Fatwa plotline seems like the kind of thing someone out there would get offended over.
I think Curb Your Enthusiasm doesn't get in trouble because its audience is smart enough to understand that it's a joke rather than a condemnation of an entire religion. Also, when TV Larry is wrong, he usually ends up getting punished.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think Curb Your Enthusiasm doesn't get in trouble because its audience is smart enough to understand that it's a joke rather than a condemnation of an entire religion. Also, when TV Larry is wrong, he usually ends up getting punished.

Well perhaps, but if there's one thing I've learned in this life it's to never underestimate people's ability to be offended.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Little bit more on the "meh" side on episode 3, although I liked Rushdie extolling the virtues of Fatwa sex. The courtroom scene went on far too long, the "Little Sister" subplot was flat. They also seem to be really shoehorning Cheryl in, I hope it leads to something. It just seemed this episode lacked a clear focus. Was also surprised to see Steve Razzamatazzi in this one as I would have imagined his hoax 9/11 story would have virtually blacklisted him (not that his appearance in this episode was all that significant)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks