Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 10

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Another great addition is Leon Black. It's my understanding he was never intended to be a permanent addition but you can see what a wild man he is and why he became a permanent fixture on the show.
JB Smoove/Leon is so damn funny. I love that after Loretta and the rest of her family left, Leon just stayed at Larry's and the audience completely accepts it because it's something he would do and because Leon is too good to not have on the show.

"So, um, I guess this means you'll beeee..."

"Going up stairs, eating this fuckin' Chinese food in my fuckin' room."

Reactions: Tino and WillG

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's such an amazing show all around. I hope Larry still has a few good years left in him to continue doing it.

Reactions: Tino and TravisR

ScottH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The latest episode definitely had me laughing (pretty much anything Leon does or says). I'll admit I was rolling my eyes at the whole "professional cryer" thing, but on doing an internet search it apparently is a real thing (although its modern day presence, particularly in the U.S. seems questionable).

I have to admit I had no idea Bob Einstein died over a year ago. That sucks.

As for the old vs new debate, I prefer the first 6-7 seasons over the last couple seasons. The show still probably gets more laughs out of me than any other show but it is a lot more over the top and unrealistic than it used to be.

Reactions: SamT

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
Funny anecdote about CH & LD:

Obviously they're not married IRL. However, when watching the special features on the DVD set of an early season of Curb, Cheryl talked about a distant relative watching an episode & then calling Cheryl up & berating her for not inviting her to the wedding - LOL. I.e., some people really believed they were married. A lot of this was probably because LD was essentially playing himself on the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR and SamT

ScottH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott Hanson

Obviously they're not married IRL. However, when watching the special features on the DVD set of an early season of Curb, Cheryl talked about a distant relative watching an episode & then calling Cheryl up & berating her for not inviting her to the wedding - LOL. I.e., some people really believed they were married. A lot of this was probably because LD was essentially playing himself on the show.
Not to mention her character having the same first name. I'll admit I'm pretty sure I thought it was his real life wife when the show first started.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

One of my best friends is an avid CYE fan. He talked me into watching the show.

He told me the story about some documentary that Larry David did as sort of a pilot to the show.

I haven't yet sought it out.

It starred Cheryl as his wife. The documentary was so realistic that people actually thought they were married.

So, I have heard this before and your story just confirms it.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
The unofficial "pilot" is a mockumentary titled Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm (1999) about Larry planning to do a stand-up comedy special for HBO. On the HBO site it isn't under the Curb Your Enthusiasm season one episodes, it is its own "special" that you have to search for.

https://www.hbo.com/specials/larry-david-curb-your-enthusiasm

Reactions: TravisR

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The unofficial "pilot" is a mockumentary titled Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm (1999) about Larry planning to do a stand-up comedy special for HBO. On the HBO site it isn't under the Curb Your Enthusiasm season one episodes, it is its own "special" that you have to search for.

https://www.hbo.com/specials/larry-david-curb-your-enthusiasm

Brian,

Thank you for that. You saved me quite a bit of searching.

I will watch this in a couple of weeks after I finish the entire series.

Thanks again.

Reactions: questrider

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
John Lee
Not to mention her character having the same first name. I'll admit I'm pretty sure I thought it was his real life wife when the show first started.
Adding to, no one but the inner circle knows for sure, but it seems like Larry patterned a good bit of Cheryl's persona on his real ex-wife Laurie. I know she's into LA-type philanthropy and 'green' causes like Cheryl, and he wrote the separation/divorce into the show soon after they divorced IRL. Not too hard to imagine she might have inspired some of Cheryl's eye-rolling responses to his antics.

ScottH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, if I remember correctly I wasn't a big fan of that mockumentary special when it first aired and so wasn't looking forward to the series when it was announced. I think it took me until the first season ended and hearing good things for me to go and watch it. It's also been over 20 years since I saw it so might be worth another look.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Reaction score
Website
www.hollywoodaholic.com
Real Name
Wayne
As someone recently confined to a walker this past year, I found this episode excruciatingly.... familiar. I even have to cling to the roof of my car for dear life while navigating to the rear car door to extract the walker as portrayed. And I've had the moment where someone passes me to jump in a CVS line, and then does the extreme walk of shame past me on their way out. It really does shift your perspective. The blood gets close to boiling.

My biggest rant is reserved for the bogus use of the handicap hanging decal. I never paid attention to those spots before, but now I cringe whenever the close spots are taken and someone bounds out like a spring chicken. When you have to walk like you're dragging two bags of heavy cement for legs and get exhausted after just a few steps, it matters. Living in Florida, I am becoming aware that it seems like 2 out of 3 handicap parkers either have borrowed it, don't really need it, got their doctor to write a lame prescription for one, or are faking a bone spur.

But that doesn't mean I couldn't laugh at this episode, or Fred Armisen's 'lame' impersonation of someone with a walker (more shoulders, looking straight down, and like you're hanging on for dear life). But if I ever catch someone pulling a Larry David on me needlessly hogging the close handicap spot, I'm going to give them the full JB Smooth "Motherfucker!" treatment.

Reactions: TravisR

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
Hilarious episode, as always.

My favorite line was when Susie told LD something like, "If you do anything to screw up the surprise party for Jeff, I will "f$#% you up!" - LOL.
And, for the record - yes, I do think Susie was trying to give Jeff a heart attack by having the surprise party for him ;)

Big fan of Coldplay, so it was cool to see Chris Martin at the end (though we never heard any songs).

Yes, I agree that anyone who parks in a handicap spot & isn't handicapped is a douche.

Following up on a previous post, here's a clip of Richard Lewis' stand-up from the '80's ;) Apologies for the crummy PQ:

Last edited:

SamT

Producer
Reaction score
Website
trakt.tv
Real Name
Sam
10x06 The Surprise Party

This was the weakest episode this season. I think it was half baked. The closing joke didn't land. And I was expecting for the Nazi salute to end the episode or go somewhere, otherwise it was unnecessary. Just using it 2 times for a dog didn't do much.

This is what I was saying when comparing season 1 to 10. Things are way over the top and exaggerated in this episode. The way Susie was angry and shouting all the time, it's annoying. Show their humanity from time to time and built on that. That would be more funny.

ScottH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott Hanson
This is what I was saying when comparing season 1 to 10. Things are way over the top and exaggerated in this episode.
Thats’s been pretty much this whole season. But it has still made me laugh. And wouldn’t someone parking in a handicap spot without a disability be exactly someone Larry would challenge? That didn’t sit right with me.

WillG

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Looks like, judging from the episode description on my cable provider, they’re addressing the Funkman’s death.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
Caught up with the latest episode of Curb, and - as always - it was great! This season will definitely end up being one of my favorites of the series.

Some of my favorite scenes:

-When Larry called out the maitre d at a local upscale restaurant that he was seating people based on their appearance; i.e., it appeared that he seated the "ugly" people on one side of the room, and the "pretty" people had the better, choice seats near the window - ha ha. Very funny, especially since I think I saw Gwyneth Paltrow & at least one other well-known actor on the "good" side - LOL. In any case, I've never thought of this potential "policy" before, but I suspect it does happen ;)

Going along with this, when Larry said that he should be able to sit in the area with the attractive people & that his group (Lewis, Jeff, etc.) was holding him back - Lewis berated him by saying Larry looked like Einstein's gardener - LMFAO!!! What a great line/insult, that was almost certainly ad-libbed - hilarious.

-Larry calling out Lewis by claiming he knew Lewis was using non-standard golf clubs, and that's why he was golfing so well.....especially during a recent game where Lewis & another friend beat Jeff & Larry - who lost $500 as a result - ha ha.

-Larry's friend saying his wife had a "magic #$#@". Soon after, the friend died unexpectedly. And, Larry, instead of being broken up about it - decided to hit on the recent widow - at the funeral! Wow - I knew Larry was crass/crude, but he really took it to new lows in this episode - ha ha.

-Soon after, it looked like Larry was going to get lucky with the widow - but then he had to put his foot in his mouth & say that the dead friend owed him $500 because he "cheated" by playing golf with Lewis - who was allegedly using non-standard golf clubs. The widow understandably got angry that Larry was asking her for the money, and so he never got the experience the allegedly "magic #$%@" ;) What a [email protected]$$ ;)

Last edited:

SamT

Producer
Reaction score
Website
trakt.tv
Real Name
Sam
10x07 The Ugly Section

Look at this. Look where I wound up in my life. In the ugly section. My whole life I suspected I was ugly. But I never really knew. I never had proof. And now I have proof..............oh sorry. Now let's talk about the episode. Great episode. Really enjoyed it, mainly because it was down to earth and the situations believable. The toilet guy for example.

It has been several episodes that I feel they are not landing the end joke right. This week was one of it. They were so good at this, even if an episode was not so great, they always landed the final bit right. It's the punchline of the episode.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is not one of my favorite seasons and within the next two weeks, I will have seen them all.

THE SURPRISE PARTY was not very good. I liked THE UGLY SECTION much better.

Still -- and perhaps I am noticing this more as I am switching between binging the early seasons and watching the current -- it just seems like everyone is getting too old and running out of steam.

I feel the sorriest for Richard Lewis. This year he just looks ... OLD. It's also apparent his motor skills have slowed down substantially. He's just not as quick with his comedy as he used to.

As we go into the final three episodes of the season, I am looking forward to the opening of Latte Larry.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Researchcapt