1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 10

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SamT, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Do they really NEED to resolve what became of the Isla Fisher character? The joke is done.

And how many of us predicted Cheryl would catch Larry humping that blow up doll?

And please don't tell me there really is a one-man show about Thor Heyerdahl and Kon-Tiki. If there ever was, it would be ruined now. But it was an inspired bit; sort of like The Old Man and the Sea as conceived by Monty Python.

2. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Completely agree with this; I was being sarcastic in my post (which admittedly doesn't come across too well online). I also suspected this was based on someone Larry had encountered IRL, given that he seems to base Curb (and previously Seinfeld) on at least some real-life encounters - ha ha.

3. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

just to know, I knew you were being sarcastic, but yes, was wondering if Owen was a stand in for someone else IRL

4. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

no, but it does come off as sort of darker than usual if she was actually killed. Doesn’t bother me though, but I’d be concerned about the condition of the Stoll.

5. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

this is one of the instances where I feel the humor is kind of contrived. If you had no interest in the sex doll and was just trying to deflate, you just pop it with a knife. I forget why the mailman was a dick and why he randomly told Ted that Larry has received a sex doll in the mail.

6. John Lee_275604

John Lee_275604 Stunt Coordinator

John Lee
    Larry lied about the mailman failing to deliver an invitation to a fundraiser he weaseled out of attending, then when the mailman confronted him Larry advised him not to initiate future confrontations while wearing shorts.

WillG likes this.
  7. The Drifter

Jim
    Right. And, to be honest Larry's lying about not getting an invitation & making the mailman look bad was a real [email protected]#% move on Larry's part - but that's par for the course with him. I can completely see why the mailman is ticked off with LD.

As someone who used to get mail frequently misdelivered on a regular basis (through no fault of mine), I appreciate it when mail/packages get delivered correctly and on time. So, the idea of badmouthing a mailman when he didn't deserve it is appalling. After all, Larry's mailman isn't Cliff Claven - ha ha.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    So quite a few things to say here.

I mentioned previously that I started watching Curb this season. Got hooked on the first two episodes and then went back to Season 6 Episode 1 and moved forward.

I am glad I did this. I tried to get a friend hooked on this show and she insisted starting with Season One. An entirely different show. Even I was turned off by it. It definitely looks like a show trying to find its way in the same manner that Seinfeld's first season did. I told her to start at Season 6, like I did and move forward then go back to Season One.

Of course, doing that I lost a few minor characters as brought up in the episode where during the Fatwa, the Muslim investigator looks into Larry's past and a lot of characters I never saw before were brought back (loved the Michael J Fox stuff).

Based on just seasons 6-10, this is just an amazing show. Probably the most brilliant written comedy I have ever seen.

The Seinfeld Reunion and Fatwa seasons were my favorite. To see a bunch of Muslim leaders fighting over ketchup and Onion Rings was just amazingly fun to watch. Lin-Manuel Miranda stole Season 9 and I was amazed that the musical numbers for FATWA: THE MUSICAL were as great as they were. F. Murray Abraham was another great surprise.

Season 10? Not that great compared to the other seasons. I like the premise of the Spite Store and looking forward to seeing where it goes (hope the tables don't lean), but other than that, it doesn't seem to be the "A" game the other seasons were.

Going back now to watch Seasons 1-5.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Oh, I forgot to mention and I don't know if it was previously...

My good friend who talked me into watching CURB recently told me over dinner that the actor who played Marty Funkhauser died.

I was devastated by this news as I loved that character.

I was surprised nothing was said in the first few episodes (unless I missed it), but this week a mention is made that Marty has gone to France.

10. Message #50 of 93 Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    The Drifter

Jim
    First of all, have to completely disagree that the early seasons of Curb aren't funny. I got a slightly late start on the show & started watching this on the DVD set(s) that started being released in late 2003/early 2004 (I never had HBO, and the show started being broadcast circa 2000). And, I was extremely impressed by this show from Day 1. It's definitely more than just an R-rated Seinfeld. Setting the show in L.A. gives the series a completely different vibe/tone, and the situations that Larry gets involved in are obviously a lot more outrageous than the ones on Seinfeld.

I also find S10 extremely funny, and find myself either chuckling or laughing out loud when watching many of these scenes - as with other seasons.

Yes, it was sad that Bob Einstein (the actor who played Funkhouser) passed away.

One of my favorite episodes involving this character was when Larry didn't think "The Funk Man" was apologetic enough for getting to a social gathering late. So, the next time Funkhouser got to one late, he profusely apologized to LD - repeatedly & sarcastically ;) Frickin' hilarious.

Tino and SamT like this.
  11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just watched that Funkhouser apology episode the other day. Very funny.

I never said the early seasons weren't funny -- they are just different.

...and I only watched the first two episodes to gauge how my friend would like it. She didn't care for it and I understood why. At least the first two episodes are completely different than the rest of the series. It's one long story instead of the bunched up ones that the later series became known for. Just completely different pacing.

Had I started from Season one instead of 6, I don't think I would be where I am today. I may have given up on it.

Bob Einstein died a year ago, January. He was definitely in Season 9.

12. questrider

questrider Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Brian
    Little known fact: Bob Einstein was Albert Brooks' brother.

Here's a picture of all three of the Einstein brothers (funnily enough with Bob wearing his Super Dave costume).

[​IMG]

And a shot of Albert and Bob together in Brooks' film Modern Romance (1981) when Albert is buying some new running shoes from Bob.

[​IMG]

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I never made the connection that Einstein was also Super Dave.

I never found the Super Dave character intriguing, so that's why I never really followed him.

questrider likes this.
  14. Message #54 of 93 Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    The Drifter

Jim
    Will have to check out Modern Romance at some point. The combination of Albert Brooks & his brother B. Einstein will be hilarious, I'm sure.

No offense to the late BE, but I found Funkhouser's wig painfully ugly, funny, & extremely obvious - which just added to the humor of the character.

15. John Lee_275604

John Lee_275604 Stunt Coordinator

John Lee
    And yes, that means that Albert Brooks was born, Albert Einstein.

16. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

And I guess it’s staring to look like the Funk man is not coming back from the trip he’s on. I was hoping they got some material from him for this season before Einstein died. Looking like that wasn’t the case unfortunately.

I wonder if they can eventually find a way to address it in a humorous way

17. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Loved how Fox admitted to intentionally shaking the soda he gave to Larry in the prior season. And loved how Larry “forcing” the devout Jewish woman to jump from the ski lift was looked upon as favorable by the investigator.

TravisR likes this.
  18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

It reminded me of the last episode of SEINFELD where favorite characters were brought back to bring judgment.

Michael J. Fox is a real sport. Love him!

19. Message #59 of 93 Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    The Drifter

Jim
    Also wanted to comment that any interaction between LD & Richard Lewis is comedic gold - extremely funny. I read somewhere that these two originally met as kids at summer camp?! years ago, and have been friends/antagonists?! (ha ha) ever since. You get the strong impression that their "friendship" IRL is probably similar to what we see on the show - LOL.

In EP05, it was hilarious how Lewis commented that LD screwed up yet another of his relationships (with IF) and that he thought he could actually have had a child with her. In response, LD contemptuously says something like, "You're kidding. You're 200 years old!" ;)

Back in the '80's, I remember seeing some of Lewis' stand-up act(s) on TV (not sure what show they were on), and being very amused/entertained by his dead-pan, sarcastic humor.

TravisR likes this.
  20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Richard Lewis is a great addition to this show. I remember him from the 80s as well.

He's really showing his age this season, though. It sucks watching people get old.

However, I love his deadpan delivery as well and the way he dresses. There's something very class about dressing in black.

Another great addition is Leon Black. It's my understanding he was never intended to be a permanent addition but you can see what a wild man he is and why he became a permanent fixture on the show.