1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 10

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SamT, Dec 2, 2019.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's been almost twenty years but there's a moment in "Beloved Aunt" from the first season that still makes me laugh every time I think of it.

2. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    It's S01E08. Hopefully I will reach it in a week.

TravisR likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m far behind on this show :(

I find that I love most of the episodes once but that I just can’t do them a second time. And I don’t remember where I got lost.

But yeah, I’m glad it’s still going.

4. Message #24 of 57 Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Caught up on S10 of Curb. Frickin' hysterical. This is as funny - if not funnier - than the early seasons, and those were incredible!

Some especially hilarious moments:

-Jeff being constantly mistaken for HW; I can actually kind of see this happening, especially in L.A. - LOL. Especially great was the scene when that woman called him a "piece of $#%@" at the house party he was hosting, before her friend told her that Jeff wasn't HW - very funny.

-Larry making a big deal about the scones not being hard enough @ Mocha Joe's; Richard Lewis complaining about eating scones and the mess they make, and Larry berating him for being a "senile old man" - ha ha.

-Larry complaining about wobbly tables - very relatable! I hate those, and feel like everything is going to fall off the table/and or that it's going to eventually collapse. My old kitchen table started wobbling recently (the support partially broke), and soon after I got rid of that piece of junk ;)

-The whole date Larry had with the receptionist at the lawyer's office, and his recording this - in this current climate, that's not really that much of an exaggeration.

-Suzie and her stupid outfits; what makes this even funnier is that she thinks she's being hip/modern, but she just looks like a clueless, ostentatious idiot ;)

-The elaborate, expensive painting Larry commissioned of Susie's likeness. Though it's very well done & realistic, it was funny that she liked it, despite the fact that her expression in the painting was to illustrate how much of a cold-hearted %$#%# she is - ha ha. It's obvious that this was a "dig" by Larry to get back at her, but she just took it as a compliment; and, it's obvious that's exactly how she sees herself - ha ha.

5. Message #25 of 57 Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    The Drifter

Jim
    Continuing my comments re: S10 (so far):

-Mocha Joe getting angry at Larry (who was complaining about the softness of the scones, the coldness of the coffee, and the wobbly table) and calling him an "old, bald $#%#." - LMFAO!!!!!

-Larry seeing Richard Lewis at Mocha Joe's, and berating him for going there when he said he was going to boycott the place after Mocha Joe treated Larry so badly - LOL. Especially hilarious was when Larry put his nose in Lewis' coffee to show it wasn't as hot as it should be, and Lewis saying, "What are you, a goose?!" - ha ha.

-Larry giving the waiter/maitre d at the restaurant his credit card at the funeral of the guy's aunt & asking him to bill Larry before Richard Lewis (for a lunch the next day). Wow, it's tough to believe how crude & inappropriate Larry was here, but at the same time that's why the show is so funny!

Also, I'm always concerned about giving my credit card to any business where they actually have to take the card, even briefly (like a restaurant) because at times they've forgotten to give it back & I don't realize this until it's too late, and I've had to cancel the card, etc. So, Larry giving the card to the guy a day before it was going to be used was incredibly stupid - what a nimrod - ha ha.

-Larry wearing the red M. hat so that people would avoid him in public, etc. - very true!

Larry definitely has his finger on the pulse of modern society & knows exactly what to do to pi$$ people off. It's obvious that everything he does is intentional, and he doesn't give a damn if people hate his guts. I don't know if he's actually like that in real life, but if not - he probably wants to be ;)

6. Message #26 of 57 Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I liked in the second episode when Larry was complaining to all his friends that no one asked him about the results of his test and Leon just said, "I just fuckin' forgot. My bad." I don't know why I thought that was so funny but JB Smoove could probably make me laugh if he was the first one telling me I have 2 weeks to live.

Didn't care for the third episode. Sometimes the show goes way too far over the top and this episode was chock full of over the top. Larry is at his best when he's put in realistic situations that people can relate to and even in the dark part of their minds agree with. But the whole credit card thing with Richard Lewis and the tooth chipping bit just didn't work for me. No one is gonna go to a viewing just to give the waiter a credit card to pay for lunch the next day (not even Larry).

So I guess just like that Larry's #MeToo problems are over?

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  7. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I agree the third episode was just a bit much, but at least they had the awareness to throw in that Three Stooges music when the all got trashed, which is basically an acknowledgement that it was beyond silly (and just plain stupid - though you gotta love Curly!).

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Okay, so for years I have heard about CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM but for some reason didn't want to be bothered with it.

Just for the hell of it, I started watching the first 2 episodes of Season 10. I was rolling with laughter. I could not believe how good those two openers were. The joke about Jeff and Harvey Weinstein, while Larry is in a robe, was just unreal. I mean, yeah, Jeff looks exactly like Harvey Weinstein.

So, I decided to backtrack a bit. I went as far back as the start of Season 6 (which I just finished today). It was a good place to start as it introduces us to The Blacks and Leon. It is also where Larry and his wife split.

I can't get over how well these shows are done. It's just simple setups of inane situations that really work. It's probably the best-written comedy series since Seinfeld.

So, as I am watching two episodes per day and doing a season in only 5 days, I am going to do 6-9 and then 1-5. Of course, I will be watching all the newest episodes and keep current with all of you.

Still have to watch the third episode of Season 10.

Jeff Adkins, SamT and The Drifter like this.
  9. The Drifter

Jim
    As a huge fan of both Seinfeld & Curb, I would have to say Curb is slightly better & in many cases a hell of a lot funnier than Seinfeld - and, I think Seinfeld is one of the greatest shows ever made.

Note this isn't a dig against Seinfeld. '90's Network TV could only go so far, so that show was limited by the fact that it was on a mainstream TV network.

Conversely, Curb is on HBO & Larry can do almost whatever he wants - and does ;)

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Agree with you completely. Seinfeld pushed the envelope on what kind of jokes/situations would be allowed on TV.

CURB is far, far funnier than Seinfeld mainly because, as you pointed out, there are no restrictions on HBO. This is probably the most "adult" comedy I have ever watched.

11. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Keep in mind also that Curb Your Enthusiasm isn't entirely scripted; the outlines and stories are fleshed out and the performers improvise much of the dialogue within those situations, so the reactions and spontaneity are always a bit more fresh and funny. Granted, you have to have great improvisational performers, but this show has them in spades.

12. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    Any idea when it will be out on disc ?

13. John Lee_275604

John Lee_275604 Stunt Coordinator

John Lee
    Don't think network TV would let Jerry get interrogated about the tickle in his anus?

Maybe S&P would let him hire a hooker for the carpool lane?

ROFL ROFL

TravisR likes this.
  14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Last season's Lauren Graham episodes pulled from Larry's experiences with standards and practices. While he was on Seinfeld, he became attracted to a woman at S&P because he was having 'dirty' discussions with her.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Since I am catching up on every show of CYE, I have to give kudos to one of the best episodes I have seen to date...

It's in Season 7. It's called THE BARE MIDRIFF

This is just another perfect example of setting up jokes so that they all drop in unison like falling dominoes.

Larry meets a widower who recalls having a husband that looks like Larry, but who was killed when he honked the horn at someone. The flashback shows the entire murder.

Later, after a fight with Richard Lewis, Larry repeats the flashback with the widower in the car but a gift handed to him by Richard Lewis is mistook for a murder re-enactment.

Just brilliant stuff!

Jeff Adkins and TravisR like this.
  16. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

best part of that was when 50’s “Not Larry” still calls the guy who cuts him off a Schmowhawk

17. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    That's what made that season about the "Seinfeld Reunion Show" so fantastic. It was the best of both worlds. Any kind of Seinfeld reboot or reunion special could never top what they accomplished in that Season of CYE.

18. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    10x05 Insufficient Praise

Ok. Who cried watching this?! ;)

19. Message #39 of 57 Feb 17, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    The Drifter

Jim
    Just saw EP05. Wow - hilarious! Definitely one of the best episodes of the series.

Big fan of Clive O. - definitely one of the best modern actors out there, and has starred in some of my favorite movies/TV series (Children of Men, Croupier, The International, Closer, I'll Sleep when I'm Dead; The Knick S01-S02, etc.) It was great how he got ticked off with Larry for not giving him enough praise re: his performance in the one-man play ;) I would never have guessed that CO was such an entitled, pretentious douche - ha ha

20. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

while I’m fairly certain that IRL Clive Owen isn’t like that, I do have to wonder if he was based on some other celebrity Larry or someone else involved with the show encountered.

Also, unless I missed something, was never made clear the final outcome of the Isla Fisher character.