What's new

Curb Your Enthusiasm 5 (Final Season) (1 Viewer)

Mike*SC

Second Unit

I'm sorry, I guess it was a little obnoxious of me to just blurt out "I'm right" and expect you to believe it when all you know about me is a fraction of my name.

Yes, it's inside information. And the source is as impeccable as they come (and another, independently). But I guess I should stop there, because maybe it's not the sort of thing I should really be blurting out on public boards. I had thought the fact of a sixth season was more generally known than it apparently is.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Can't wait to pick up season five and I'm hoping for an even better season six. CYE is one show that even my girlfriend will watch in a marathon fashion, she enjoys it so much.

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I've been a fairly strong supporter of CYE through the years, but in reading through this thread I can't even remember what the season 5 finale was about, though I must have watched it.

I guess that says something about season (or maybe I'm just getting old)

I hope they do do a season 6.

-Andy

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Since HBO routinely shows snippets of CYE in its promotions, then obviously "The End" from last December is not going to be the final episode.

By the way, I've saved "Kamikaze Bingo" and "The Ski Lift" on my TiVo and watched them at least 20 times each.... these might be my favorite two episodes of the entire series...

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Both shows are still part of the "Family" in the sense that HBO wants to further use their marketing strategy for DVDs, OnDemand, and the like.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think the only way to go into season 6 is to pull the old trick of making season 5 a "Dream Sequence" - I know, I know! CHHESY, but it may help me to help the series going and ignore season 5. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I see a 6th season more likely, now that HBO has canned ROME as well.

Is there anything left on the network at this point? I know Entourage is a pretty decent hit, but apart from that... Lucky Louie? anything else?

They'd better be moving ahead with the Alan Ball "Southern Vampire" series he was developing a while back based on the Charlaine Harris books.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
"it may help me to help the series going and ignore season 5."

Go back and watch "Kamikaze Bingo" and "The Ski Lift" again -- they are two of the best episodes ever...

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I always felt season 4 was the worst of the series. It seemed like Larry's Broadway show took away from the basic elements that used to define the show. Season 5 was a welcome return to what the show used to be. :)

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone,

I just picked up season 5 and I noticed that when I watch the episode "the end" there is a small hiccup during the switch between chapters 5 and 6. It occrus during the period where the screen is completey white. I was just wondering if anyone noticed this and if this was a layer change?

Thanks

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope Larry does further seasons. Curb is one of the best TV comedies (I hesitate to call it a sitcom--yuck!) ever. I thought Season #6 was one of the best seasons so far! The wife and I watched it in 2 evenings and laughed ourselves sick!!!

With all its cancellations, HBO is becoming the Fox Network of cable.

Once the Sopranos shut down, they're going to be in trouble...

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...00.html?fdnews

HBO Gets More "Enthusiasm"

by Josh Grossberg
Aug 9, 2006, 10:10 AM PT

It's official: Larry David--the TV version--is back from the dead.

After months of speculation that his HBO comedy Curb Your Enthusiasm had flatlined after a season finale titled "The End" that featured its star spending some not quite quality time with his guardian angel in heaven, the pay-cable network confirmed Wednesday that it had reached a deal with David for another season of the Emmy-winning series.

An HBO spokeswoman says the balding, bespectacled comic will start filming the first of 10 new episodes in October. The new season is aiming for a 2007 run, but no firm airdate has been set.

Critics and fans alike believed season five's death-defying finale, in which Larry donates his kidney to save pal Richard Lewis with near disastrous results, was actually a series finale. Indeed, after the show aired Dec. 4, Curb's future was up in the air as David mulled whether he had enough juice left for another go-round.

But the outlook brightened last month, when HBO's CEO and chairman, Chris Albrecht, told reporters at the Television Critics Association press tour that the cable net was close to reaching an agreement with the David and executive producer Robert Weide.

"The reason we don't know about Curb is Larry was very unsure after the last season. He felt like the last season could have been the final season," the HBO honcho explained. "And Larry works very hard on these shows. So...he needed to be inspired."

Regular cast members Cheryl Hines, Jeff Garlin and Susie Essman are expected to be back. And Curb fans will be delighted to hear that HBO and David haven't ruled out additional seasons, depending on the outcome of season six.

The series, which won a Golden Globe in 2003 for Best TV Comedy, is up for five Emmy Awards this month, including Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Actor for David and Outstanding Supporting Actress for Hines. But despite the accolades and its devoted cult following, not everyone has been enthusiastic.

After lead-in Sex and the City went off the air in 2004, Curb's audience dropped off dramatically. Several TV critics labeled season five the show's weakest.

"Has anyone else been noticing how lousy the new episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm are?" Adam Buckman asked in the New York Post. Variety's Brian Lowry said the season "lurched out of the starting gate, sinking to its nadir with an episode in which the son of a Japanese kamikaze pilot (he survived; get it?) attempts suicide in response to Larry's insensitivity."

Maybe David can mine his real-life misadventures for some comedy gold.

According to the New York Post, the jokester wasn't laughing after he and wife, Laurie, witnessed their $75,000 BMW 530 getting dented by a wayward shopping cart in the parking lot of a Martha's Vineyard supermarket.

The newspaper cites one eyewitness saying that David, dressed in a gold tee and shorts, called the cops and began "flapping away with his arms...just like an episode on his show."

No charges were filed in the incident.

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Great news! Even mediocre episodes of CYE are head and shoulders above all the other trash on TV.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Yea! Glad to hear that it will definitely return. I completely agree that mediocre CYE is way better than most of TV these days. Season five wasn't as good as some of the previous seasons, but we still laughed quite a lot during the various eps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks