Cuff Links and French Cuffed Shirts

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob Movies, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

I recently received a really great pair of cufflinks as a graduation gift. They're from Tiffanys and they're silver double knots. I've got a few pairs of silk knots, but the sliver is really nice.

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item...1&start_id=11&

I want to start building a collection of cufflinks, and I'd like to start exclusively wearing French cuffed shirts. Can anyone recommend some additional good looking cufflinks? Who else makes nice ones?

This also brings up my French cuffed shirt problem, which is that I can't find them anywhere. I have three shirts, all made by Hathaway (one blue, and two white, one with a waffle grid pattern). What other manufacturers make French cuffed shirts that aren't too expensive? I've seen lots of shirts in the $125 - $250 range, but that's pretty pricey, considering most regular shirts are $40 - $60.

Any advice / comments would be appreciated!

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I bought a French cuff tuxedo shirt at S&K Menswear here in Arkansas for $60 so I know you can get French cuffs on regular business shirts for relatively cheap. I'm not familiar with any shops in Canada though.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't think Jos.A.Bank sells shirts in your country yet, though they manufacture them there. Jos.A.Bank is a fantastic place to look.

5. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

6. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

You can order them from the store that I shop at all the time- Bachrach.com. They have some great clothes at good prices. I do not know if their french cuff shirts are featured on the site, however, I saw them at the store the other day and know that you could request a complete catalog (in paper format) and order them that way. I believe they were $68.00 each. They have great products with great service to boot. Highly recommended.

7. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

club monaco

8. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

Land's End has french cuffed shirts. My wife bought me a few with a couple sets of cuff links. Favorites are silver saxophone's. (Casually play tenor sax). Anyway, I think she got them at cufflinks. com or something like that.

She got the shirts at a local menswear store, Mens Warehouse probably.

9. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Aside from Tiffany, Alfred Dunhill makes some nice cufflinks.

I recommend going to a custom shirtmaker (if you have a few extra dollars to spend). Not only can you get French cuffs, but you can specify what style of edging around the cuff (mitered, rounded, etc.).

10. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

11. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I saw a great pair of Tateossian cufflinks at a local shop, but I can't find them on the website. They were multicoloured but very classy. I love a few of the pairs they sell online too.

Some of the Dunhill cufflinks that are really great too! It seems like I'm going to start obsessing over these and have a long wish list of cool links.

Sadly, I can't afford to have my shirts custom made yet.
    I graduated from University last month, (with a degree in Film Production) so money is kind of tight right now. At least I'll be well dressed when I meet with other people to pitch scripts!

Bob

P.S. Does anyone know a place that sells cufflinks that look like typewriter keys? I've seen some online, but they're made from actual old keys, which doesn't really appeal to me. I saw a photograph once of silver links, with round black face and a white letter on it.

12. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I dabble in cufflink collecting as well. Havent done much lately, as I now am in a hospital and wear scrubs all the time. I used to like ebay before it turned into the souless barren wasteland it is today. As far as shirts, When Brooks Brothers has a sale, you can get nice french cuffed shirts for like 20-30 for solids, and 30-40 for patterned. My faves are bold colored prints with offseting white cuffs and spread coller, and then a brilliant tie in a big fat Windsor. Man, I do miss the look, but wearing pj's to work cant be beat, especially in AZ.