What's new

Cuckoo's Nest and RP91 (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I just rented One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest from Netflix (this is the standard edition, not the new SE) and when it loads up, the screen image has black bars all around. I have never seen this before with any DVD, non-anamorphic or not. Is this a function of my RP91 or is it the way the film is formatted?

Besides that, the transfer is terrible. Lots of dirt and specks, but that is a topic for the Software section.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The disc is probably not flagged properly as letterboxed. Go into the U4 menu on your RP-91 and change the aspect control from AUTO to ZOOM. This will manually invoke the RP-91's scaling/zoom feature.

FYI, about 25-30% of the non-anamorphic widescreen discs in my collection are improperly flagged and require this manual process.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
What Scott's saying is correct. I watched "From Dusk Til Dawn" like this thinking "hey, it's terintino and rodriguiz, it's probably supposed to be like this" lol. Then when Top Gun popped up this way I figured that my RP91 was scaling automaticly and i decided to turn it on manually. Of my 315 DVDs about 40 are non-anamorphic and of those about 30 are not flagged properly.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Thanks to both of you, that makes sense. Is it better to use the zoom on my TV (mits 42311) or the zoom on the RP91?.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With my Toshiba 56H80, the Panasonic RP-91's scaling feature is a huge improvement over the zoom-only TheaterWide mode of the Toshiba. Quality non-anamorphic transfers such as The Abyss look very close to anamorphic. I would try both for comparison, but would bet the RP-91 wins out over the Mits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks