Cube (anamorphic) - How did this slip by me?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Harry-N, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I discovered CUBE on a run on SciFi back in the late '90s when I still had cable. I liked it a lot and it became a must-buy DVD, so I went out and bought it - a fine DVD for my old 4:3 TV, but quite antiquated in these widescreen HDTV days.

Somehow today, I stumbled on the fact that it had been updated - three years ago! I can't believe I never stumbled across a copy in all that time. Now I've got to get this!

Does anyone else have this title in the anamorphic version? How does it look?

Harry

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I have the anamorphic Signature series edition. It looks fine...I don't know what else to say, been a while since I watched it and I'm not too critical of low-budget productions transferred to DVD. Put it this way, if it was BAD I'd have remembered, I remember ALL the real bad transfers...

3. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I didn't have to look too hard - my local Best Buy had it - and at only $9.99 was a real bargain.

Looks pretty good to me. I still don't know how in the world I missed this for three years!

Harry

4. Jamie Summers

Jamie Summers Auditioning

It's a genuinely clever and innovative film considering the extremely low budget. Unfortunately the two followups, 2002's Hypercube and 2004's Cube Zero are both a bit of a mess and ruin the mystery of the first one. Anyone know if Cube's director (Vincenzo Natali) has done anything really noteworthy since?

By the way this is my first post, finally decided to sign up and start talking after months of lurking, so hello all!

Jamie Summers

5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Hi Jamie,

As far as Vincenzo Natali, I saw his "Nothing" on DVD several months ago. It's an extremely. . ."different" type of story and was rather entertaining in a bizarre kind of way.

6. Matt Leigh

Matt Leigh Stunt Coordinator

His movie Cypher is really quite good and in line with Cube in terms of an intimate story told with a lot of cleverness. It is on DVD and well worth a viewing.

The guy really is a talent so far even though I found Nothing to be quite weak as a film and story.