What's new

Ctr Channel Question (specifically Axiom VP150 related) (1 Viewer)

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

Current set-up Denon 1802, Axiom M22s, Sony Sawm40, Cerwin-vega Ctr and Aiwa leftover as rears. 50/50 HT to Music.

Obviously I am in the midst of upgrading my set-up, next planned step was the ctr. Had the VP150 in mind the whole time, but now after reading more posts it seems as though it may not be my best choice. Then that brings me to my question, matched timbre, if I where to go w/speakers with similar characteristics to the M22 would I avoid the potential problem associated with not matching the speaker in a set-up?

Also can anyone give me some additional feedback, good or bad on the VP150? I read alot in the search but a some specific feedback on your satisfaction with this speaker specifically would be great!

Thanks

Jason Co

Second Unit
Robertto,

I currently have the VP150 and I think it kicks ass. My ear is not as refined as some of these guys and I upgraded from a Bose center channel (don't ask). The dialog is clear and I have no issues with it being drowned out by the rest of the movie. The only real issue you will have is that this is a rather large speaker, so if you are going to buy it, make sure you measure first.

Jason

Rey_Ramos

Agent
The VP150 is a great center channel speaker. It matches the M22's perfectly. But I will tell you when I first got it, I did experience that "boxy" sound people talk about. But after playing around with room placement I figured out what it was. My seating area is too close to the speaker. In my particular room i needed to push back the seating area about 3-4 feet and then it sounded awesome. I would say go for the VP150 and just keep in mind you might have to change a few things depending on your room. But I know that it is a perfect match for the M22's.

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback guys. Rey, what type of room size are you working with and how far are you now away from the ctr? I don't have much space to work with unfortunately.

Rey_Ramos

Agent
Robertto,
Right now i am about 11'-12' from the center. But again you won't know until you actually put the center in your room. I think the reason I have to move so far back is also because the center channel is placed high on top of the tv and I have low ceilings. My theater room ceiling hight is only 7'. All of these factors contributed to the way it sounded at first, and by moving back it seemed to even things out a bit. If you are worried about the VP150 being up to the task, I say don't worry but final results will only be dictated by the room you put it in. Hope this helps.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Rey,

Did you try angling your center channel down towards the listening position? My center channel is also up high and I propped the back of the speaker up so it aimed towards the listening position instead of over my head. Just another option instead of having to move back too much.

Jason

Rey_Ramos

Agent
Jason Co,
I did that too. But the top of my tv is a bit narrow and i can't angle it down enough without worrying about it actally falling off. Being that far back is actally pretty cool. Once all the lights are out you can't tell how far away the speakers are and sound just starts coming at you from all directions. I watched LOTR for the first time over the weekend, (yes i know i should have seen it in the theater :frowning: ) and I think everyone jumped about 12 times from getting 'lost' in the movie and space around us. My SVS Ultra is about 12' away and if it were any closer, I think my couch would need seatbelts. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I agree if your mains/surrounds are Axiom, the VP150 is the way to go. My initial impression of the VP150 was not all that great. Now that it's fully broken in, and I have it slightly angled down and as far foward on top of my TV as I can put it, the sound is much better. I actually have the VP150 slightly overhaning the front of my RPTV, so that the front of the speaker grill is about an inch or two in front of the screen surface of the TV. This made a noticeable difference with the "boxy" sound.

I still think the VP150 doesn't quite live up to my M60ti mains (particularly midrange performance). I would love to see Axiom put out a true 3-way center channel speaker. But until that happens the VP150 is still a good speaker, and it's definitely the best match you'll find for the other Axiom speakers.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I'd like to second everything that Jeff has said. Two things that I have done to improve the 150 is to place it on a solid center channel stand in the front of the RPTV and angled up towards the listening position. The other change was to place the M60's on platform stands angled towards the listening position. This has helped in imaging and creating a inform sound stage.

Bottomline: Jeff said it perfectly in his post.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks