CTHV: Superbit suggestion - 'DAS BOOT'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mitty, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I have yet to purchase any superbit titles. I haven't been able to justify the repurchase. However, to my knowledge, this title is still only available as a flipper (I'm sure one of my fellow HTFers will correct me if I'm mistaken on that).
    However, this film would be a prime candidate for repurchase by me. Nix the English dub, nix the extras (I'll probably still keep the original version for the commentary), and max it out on one side of an RSDL disc.
    Maybe the length of this film would prohibit a single DVD-9 release in what you would consider good enough quality to bear the superbit name. I dunno.
    Food for thought. [​IMG]

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I don't think you could fit the whole film (IIRC, it's around 210 minutes) onto one dual layer disc.
    I say instead of making the film fit onto one disc, split it over two discs with having just German DD and DTS 5.1 (Superbits will always include the original language, nothing else) and the best picture quality out there.
    Now I'd buy that. [​IMG]

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Any plans for releasing the 6 hour miniseries version of Das Boot?

4. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Matthew, FYI, the Region 2 version has all the supplements of the R1 version, and is on a single-sided dual-layer disc.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

However JulianK, to be called a "SuperBit DVD" it would need the extra bandwidth for video. I'd say a two DVD-9 disc set w/ a logical intermission added would be nice with brand new HD telecine at 1080p for the downconversion to the anamorphic enhanced DVD master.

Hell, I'd love it if Sony had some guts and nixed the 5.1 DD track and had a properly mastered, full bitrate DTS 24/96 5.1 or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 soundtrack created from the digital archival master stems and a DD 2.0 track (for backwards compatibility with DD-out only players).

Dan

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    A single sided version of Das Boot would lose quality or would have to be on one DVD-9 and one DVD-5.

Flipper: DVD-10

Single sided, dual layered disc: DVD-9

Note the missing GB.

7. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Dan H

Yes Dan I agree with you. I'd buy that!

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

A DTS only disc would be impossible, since the DVD specs require a DD track on the disc.

9. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I think they mean a 2-channel DD track included when they say "DTS only". They are normally only 192kbs, and sometimes as low as 64kbs for commentaries, so they really don't effect the max-bit rate.

For that matter, I'd like to see Das Boot (and all superbits) with a 24/96 DTS track, and then have a 64kbs DD commentary track. DVD-video is required to have an DD/PCM track, but who says it can't be a super-low-bitrate commentary track?

As for the original masters? I read that they were destroyed by water, which is why they had to re-mix the whole thing in the first place. So, a 24/96 mix is probobly impossible since the re-mix master is probobly at 48mhz. OTOH, a 6.1 would probobly be really great since the rear surrounds never stop working. Throughout the entire movie, I kept hearing water and engine sounds from the surrounds.

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

And what about those of us that don't have DTS capability? We're supposed to be satisfied with a DD 2.0 track?

I'd buy a Superbit DAS BOOT (hell, I'd buy an RSDL one), but I'm not buying any "DTS only" DVD.

11. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Richard:

A DD 2.0 soundtrack or commentary track would allow the disc to meet spec.

Greg:

The whole point of a SuperBit collection is supposidly to get the most quality out of the current DVD spec. It's something special, for home theater tech. geeks with the equipment that can resolve the finer details in video and audio (heck, most people seem to only really notice the difference in video on large projection systems).

Seeing as how any new software can outdate someone's older equipment (ie, receiver or processor with no DTS) and that now probably 95% (or more) of home theater products support DTS, a top quality full bitrate "DTS 24/96 or DTS-ES only" SuperBit would still seem logical. As DTS 24/96 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 is coming to market in more products and are still backwards compatible with DTS 5.1 decoders it would only seem prudent to add the finest audio encoding yet available for current NTSC/PAL DVDs.

Look at Eagles: Hell Freezes Over. The only 5.1 track on the disc is DTS encoded and it's one of the top selling concert DVDs ever.

Dan

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I would be happy with an RSDL Das Boot. Skip the Superbit and the DTS. But I can tell you I won't buy the current flipper or any future flipper version.

13. John Fleming

John Fleming Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Senor Zimmer on this; I would be tickled pink to have an RSDL version of Das Boot. I don't have this great film on DVD yet and the reason is simple...Senor Fleming doesn't fork over dinero for flippers - this one or any other one for that matter.
    John