CTHE Press Release: The Fog of War

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    Academy Award® Winner for
    Best Documentary Feature

Over 100 Critics Rave "One of the Best Pictures of the Year!"

"Splendid! A Masterpiece!" - Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES

"One of the best of this or any year!" - Kenneth Turan, LOS ANGELES TIMES

Riveting Portrait of American Politics, Government Turmoil and Power
    From Acclaimed Filmmaker Errol Morris

Best Director, DGA Award Nominee / Best Editing, ACE Award Nominee
    Premiering May 11 on DVD and VHS

Culver City, CA (March 1, 2004) - Winner of the Academy Award® for Best
    Documentary Feature, THE FOG OF WAR is a masterpiece from gifted filmmaker Errol Morris
    (Fast, Cheap & Out of Control, The Thin Blue Line, A Brief History of Time). As if ripped from
    today's gripping headlines, THE FOG OF WAR is the thought-provoking, historically riveting
    story of America as seen through the eyes of Robert S. McNamara, former Secretary of Defense
    under the administrations of Presidents' Kennedy and Johnson. Winner of the Best
    Documentary Award from the National Board of Review and the Los Angeles and Chicago Film
    Critics Associations, THE FOG OF WAR will debut May 11 on DVD and VHS from Columbia
    TriStar Home Entertainment.

Revered by critics nationwide for its uncompromising story, stunning historical
    investigations and relevant social themes, THE FOG OF WAR won the Independent Spirit
    Award and has garnered nominations for Best Documentary from the Boston Society of Film
    Critics, Broadcast Film Critics Association, Online Film Critics Society and Golden Satellite
    Awards. In addition, THE FOG OF WAR was honored as an Official Selection at the Cannes,
    New York, Toronto and Telluride Film Festivals. This acclaimed documentary has been praised
    as "astonishing, mesmerizing and sometimes horrifying" (Vanity Fair), "superbly made"
    (Washington Post) and "a revelatory study of American power" (Newsweek). In addition, the
    New York Times said, "if there is one movie that ought to be studied by military and civilian
    leaders around the world, it is THE FOG OF WAR."

Inspired by the book "Wilson's Ghost" THE FOG OF WAR is a 20th Century fable, a
    story of an American dreamer who rose from humble origins to the heights of political power.

One of the last century's most controversial and influential figures in world politics,
    McNamara takes us on an insider's journey through many of the seminal events of the 20th
    Century -- from the firebombing of 100,000 Japanese civilians in Tokyo in 1945 to the brink of
    nuclear catastrophe during the Cuban missile crisis to the devastating effects of the Vietnam
    War. Through unreleased archival footage and first-hand account interviews with McNamara
    conducted over a span of two years, THE FOG OF WAR is not a standard historical drama but
    rather an important personal drama of a provocative historical figure.

Featurettes: 24 Never Before Released Additional Scenes
    Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
    Remastered in High Definition
    Widescreen Presentation
    Audio: English (Dolby Surround)
    Subtitles: Spanish, French, Korean, Portuguese
    Scene Selections

Rated PG-13
    Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 107 Minutes
    DVD Catalog # 01916 / UPC Code: 0-43396-01916-4
    VHS Catalog # 01915 / UPC Code: 0-43396-01915-7
    DVD Order Date: 04/8/04
    VHS Order Date: 04/20/04
    SLP: $26.96 DVD; VHS rental priced
  2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Dec 6, 1998
    I am anxious to see this movie. It has come and gone at our local theaters. I had read that there were 20 hours of footage shot, so I guess they had a lot to choose from to include deleted scenes.
  3. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Sep 19, 2000
    It would be nice to see a featurette on Philip Glass' contributions to Morris' films, but I'll take this release in any form. Looking forward to it!
  4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Dec 6, 1998
    I just finished watching this DVD the other day. I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who is interested in hearing first-hand experiences with the Kennedy and Johnson administrations.
  5. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Mar 16, 1999
    I'll second that. This movie is riveting from start to finish.