CTHE Press Release: The China Syndrome Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    "Well-acted, well-crafted, scary as hell!"
    -Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN TIMES
    "As explosive as the metaphor of its title"
    -THE LOS ANGELES EXAMINER

The Original Disaster Film Marks its 25th Anniversary

THE CHINA SYNDROME SPECIAL EDITION
    Available on DVD October 26

* * * * Culver City, CA (August 26, 2004) – It's a modern-day thriller – THE CHINA
    SYNDROME - the frightening story of a near-reactor meltdown at a nuclear power plant and a
    dangerous political cover-up, a horrifying possibility that only seemed fictional until, just twelve
    days after its theatrical release in 1979, fiction eerily turned into fact by the real-life disaster at
    Three Mile Island. *Now, on the 25th Anniversary of this ominous movie, Columbia TriStar
    Home Entertainment will release THE CHINA SYNDROME SPECIAL EDITION DVD on
    October 26, 2004. *

Directed and co-written by James Bridges (Bright Lights, Big City, Perfect, Urban
    Cowboy), THE CHINA SYNDROME stars Academy Award winners Jane Fonda (Coming
    Home, Clute), Jack Lemmon (Some Like it Hot, Save the Tiger) and Michael Douglas (Wall
    Street, Wonder Boys), who also produced the film. *THE CHINA SYNDROME earned four
    Oscar nominations including Best Actor for Jack Lemmon, Best Actress for Jane Fonda, Best
    Screenplay and Best Set Direction.

DVD special features include two making-of documentaries and deleted scenes. *THE
    CHINA SYNDROME SPECIAL EDITION marks the first time that Jane Fonda has participated
    in the production of any DVD.
    Synopsis
    A modern nightmare nearly becomes reality in this tension-filled story about an
    "incident" at a nuclear power plant. Jane Fonda stars as Kimberly Wells, an ambitious TV
    reporter covering a story on energy sources, who is present at the nuclear plant when a startling
    accident occurs that nearly causes the meltdown of the reactor. A newsreel cameraman
    accompanying Wells (Michael Douglas) captures the incident on film but the television station
    won't air the footage. Though the plant's corporate heads are quick to deny the possibility of any
    real danger, Jack Godell (Jack Lemmon), the plant's veteran engineer, discovers faulty
    equipment at the plant. Attempting to tell others about his findings, an attempt is made on his
    life. In desperation, he forcibly takes control of the power plant and invites the media to hear his
    ceremony. But the corporation is determined to stop him in a taut and shocking climax!

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    * * * * Remastered in High Definition
    * * * * Audio: *English 5.1
    * * * * Subtitles: *English, Chinese, French, Japanese, Thai
    * * * * Deleted Scenes
    * * * * Featurettes
    * * * * Bonus Trailers
    * * * * Scene Selections

Year of Theatrical Release: 1979
    Rated: PG
    Color / Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 122 Minutes
    DVD Catalog # 06708 / UPC Code: 0-43396-06708-0
    DVD Order Date: 9/23/04
    DVD SLP: $19.94

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I'll likely be getting this anyway, but instead of BS like "Remastered in High Definition", I like to see something I can figure out exactly what it means in a press release, such as "anamorphic widescreen, OAR of x.xx:1, enhanced for 16x9", etc.

3. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Didn't Jane Fonda participate in the first On Golden Pond DVD? Or was that originally done for laser?

4. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, I think I'm going to assume that it's going to be pan and scan. You've got to court all those VHS folks, ya know!

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I'll "assume" Anamorphic Widescreen SE. I know of no P&S only SE. I unfortunately am aware of non-anamorphic letterboxed SE's. The Doors anyone?

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the current bare bones disc is one of the nicest looking 1970s era films i own.
    i wish all catalog titles looked that good.

as much as i like this film, i'm not very enticed by the prospect of a few extras.

however if the deleted scenes end up totaling more than 30 minutes, and the documentaries are also lengthy and substantive, then i may pick it up somewhere down the line (probably from Columbia House)

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Well, I assume it'll be ana-WS/OAR too, but what I meant is: just look at the length of that press release, and the most important piece of info is missing, the one thing we all here need to know before buying would even become a consideration.

Some studios have re-released discs in inferior formats than originally (like P&S only when originally both), and many SEs have less extra content than some "standard" releases. I take nothing for granted when "marketing words" are used, especially from a studio who has no problem continuallly re-releasing some DVDs in endless format/content variations.

8. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick

ANNIE...?

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It'll be interesting to hear what they did with the soundtrack as it was originally mono.

Hmmm... curious.

It's a damn good movie that has this you-are-there documentary feel to it. Minimalism at its best. There isn't even much of a score either. Great stuff.

Dan

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

There's NO music score at all. And dead silence as the end credits roll. Which makes me wonder why they'd even bother to do a 5.1 re-mix of this film. A complete waste here, IMO.

THE only music in the 2-plus-hr. film is Stephen Bishop's song "Somewhere In Between" (an excellent ditty [​IMG]) playing over the opening credits.

Re. the WS vs. FF matter -- The current DVD release is dual-sided and has both WS (16x9) and FF. There's no way (I wouldn't think at any rate) that this newer SE will have just the FF version on it -- unless someone upstairs at CTHE has lost every marble he possesses.

The current anamorphic Widescreen edition looks very good too, IMHO. The new one will probably just inherit that existing 16x9 WS.

11. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

Well, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Columbia Tristar took the widescreen release of Annie and replaced it with a "Special Edition" pan and scan-only DVD, complete with 5.1 DTS sound. Yes, they apparently are this stupid.