CTHE Press Release: "SPIDERMAN" (CGI Animated)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    Exciting High-Impact CGI-Animated Sony Pictures Television Series
    Featuring the Popular Marvel Comics Superhero as You've Never Seen Him

Two-Disc Special Edition DVD Featuring the Complete First Season
    Fully Loaded with Exciting Bonus Features Available January 13
    * * * * Culver City, CA (November 17, 2003) - Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man is
    swinging into high-flying action on DVD with the all-new, cutting-edge CGI-animated series
    SPIDER-MAN. *Available January 13 in a must-have Special Edition two-disc DVD release from
    Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, SPIDER-MAN contains the complete first season with all
    13 episodes from the popular Sony Pictures Television series along with exclusive bonus
    features including three behind-the-scenes featurettes, a blooper reel, interactive DVD-ROM
    elements, and more!

The legendary Marvel comic book story of one of the coolest superheroes ever to climb
    into a pair of tights gets a fresh and groundbreaking new look with incredible animation and
    advanced cinematic effects in SPIDER-MAN a visually unique show using the process of three-
    dimensional computer generated animation to create a rich and detailed traditional animation
    look. *The computer allows the animators to present large casts of characters with extraordinary
    detail, intricate lighting and with a kinetic camera point of view that can fly through the action in
    cinematic fashion.

When a nasty bite by a genetically altered spider endows teenager Peter Parker with
    miraculous, arachnid-like powers, his death-defying heroism wins him admiration from those in
    need. *But being a superhero has its drawbacks especially as freshman in college! *As Peter
    gains the trust of his close friends Mary Jane Watson / MJ and Harry Osborn, the police call him
    a vigilante. *Struggling to lead a normal life even as he juggles academics, work, love and
    various forces of super-villains and relentless criminals, Peter meets the challenge by exercising
    his superhero powers for the good of all to save mankind from evil.

Multi-talented performers Neil Patrick Harris (Starship Troopers, TV's Doogie Howser,
    M.D.), Ian Ziering (TV's Beverly Hills 90210) and singer-songwriter Lisa Loeb, plus special
    guest stars rocker Rob Zombie, rapper Eve, Devon Sawa (Final Destination), Gina Gershon
    (Showgirls), John C. McGinley (TV's Scrubs), Kathy Griffin (TVs Average Joe), Keith
    Carradine (Kill Bill Vol. 1), James Marsters (TV's Angel) Michael Clarke Duncan (Daredevil)
    and the legendary Stan Lee lend their vocal talents to this thrilling, computer-animated version of
    the comic book classic and mega-hit feature film.

Major comic book, animation, and television talent came together to bring Spider-Man to
    life on the small screen. Brian Michael Bendis (Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man comic book
    series) worked as co-executive producer, along with Audu Paden (Roughnecks: Starship
    Troopers Chronicles). Serving as the series' executive producers were Spider-Man co-creator
    Stan Lee, Morgan Gendel and Marvel executives Avi Arad and Rick Ungar.

Episodes featured on the SPIDER-MAN DVD include:

Heroes and Villains
    Spider-Man battles Turbo Jet, a modern-day Robin Hood armed with a homemade propulsion
    system, who steals from the wealthy and gives to the poor. *His efforts begin to backfire as Spider-
    Man is wrongly implicated as Turbo Jet's accomplice.

Royal Scam
    Spider-Man is duped by the infamous Kingpin into stealing the TX-1 super-chip, designed to decrypt
    the confidential satellite transmissions that drive the world's financial markets. *Now he must find a
    way to get it back.

Law of the Jungle
    Peter's professor, Doc Connors, injects himself with reptilian DNA, which slowly changes him into
    an angry, vengeful lizard. *As the serum affects Doc's brain, Spider-Man must stop his beloved
    professor as he begins seeking revenge on those who have harmed him – including Harry!

Sword of Shikata
    Shikata, master martial artist/swordswoman, is sent to capture Spider-Man for a wealthy man's
    collection. *Shikata determines that Spider-Man is too noble a foe to simply capture and they must
    fight to the death.

Keeping Secrets
    Spider-Man is torn when he learns that Talon, a female thief that he is trying to catch who is behind a
    series of high-risk robberies in the city, is actually a love interest of his best friend Harry.

Tight Squeeze
    Three ex-KGB agents take a group of people hostage, including Peter and Indy. *Their simple
    demand is they want Spider-Man! *Peter will need to use his cunning and cleverness to figure out
    ways to appease the agents while he is being held hostage, without revealing his alter ego.

Head Over Heels
    Peter Parker's lab partner Christina reads his mind with her new invention: an ESP crown. *The
    crown malfunctions, jolting her own brain with electricity, altering her reality causing her to have
    conversations and fall in love with an imaginary Spider-Man. *No longer able to distinguish fantasy
    from reality, Christina attempts to kill MJ in order to limit the competition for Spider-Man's eternal

The Party
    Peter's geeky high school friend, Max Dillon, is trying to fit into college life by joining a
    fraternity and becoming one of the "in-crowd." *Unfortunately, the fraternity is only allowing
    Max to participate in their "rush process" as a big joke. *When Max is hazed at a party the prank
    takes a turn for the worse and ultimately leads to the creation of Electro, a high voltage villain. *
    Max/Electro has a score to settle with his previous tormentors and *only Spider-Man can stop
    him from destroying innocent and not so innocent students.

Flash Memory
    Dr. Zellner tests his "smart drug" on Peter Parker's foe, Flash Thompson, and Flash immediately
    displays dramatic spikes in intellect. *However, along with the IQ boost, comes a potentially fatal
    side effect. *With only minutes to find an antidote, Zellner takes Flash's suggestion that he
    experiment on an already intelligent candidate: Peter Parker.

Spider-Man Dis-Sabled
    Peter covers a press conference and inadvertently videotapes incriminating evidence against Silver
    Sable, an Eastern European assassin for hire. *Now she will stop at nothing – including killing MJ
    and Harry - to get the tape back.

When Sparks Fly
    Electro returns. *This time he wants to zap Sally and make her just like him so the two of them can be
    together. *Can Spider-Man arrive in time or will Sally be changed forever?

Mind Games Part 1
    The Gaines Twins, Roxanne and Roland -- a brother and sister pair with uncanny mental powers
    -- are being transported in an armored convoy when a well-planned traffic accident allows them
    to escape. *Well, almost until Spider-Man appears on the scene and battles the twins' mental
    abilities with his own superhuman willpower. Later that afternoon, Peter Parker learns that
    Pterodax, the crime trio comprised of former KGB agents, has just sprung Silver Sable from
    prison. *Spider-Man's enemies seem to be popping up all over! *Silver Sable allies with Kraven
    The Hunter who has also recently escaped from jail and together they seek revenge on Spider-
    Man. * As if things weren't strange enough, a mysterious stranger, Frank Elson, has approached
    Peter Parker to give him vital information to help the webslinger out - or does Frank have his
    own agenda? *Is anything as it seems? *What exactly is going on? *

Part Two begins with Kraven The Hunter drawing his final breaths under Spider-Man's might. *
    Moments from delivering Kraven the final blow, Spider-Man notices that the surroundings don't
    mesh with some of his more recent memories. *Combine that with a few of Kraven's conflicting
    syllables and Spider-Man determines that his reality has somehow been tampered with. * The
    question is, how or more like by whom? * A confrontation ensues between Spider-Man and the
    Gaines Twins who are behind everything but things take a turn for the worse when the Twins use
    their mental power to trick Spider-Man into harming Indy. * A dejected and morose Peter Parker
    tightly packs up his Spider-Man suit and throws it into the Hudson River allowing it to sink
    intothe murky depths. *Is this the end of Spider-Man? *Or a new beginning for Peter Parker?

* * * * Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
    * * * * Mastered in High Definition
    * * * * Widescreen Presentations
    * * * * Audio Commentaries
    * * * * Pop-Up Factoids
    * * * * Blooper Reel
    * * * * The Making of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
    * * * * Spider-Man Music: The Composers featurette
    * * * * Spider-Man Tech: Animating Performance featurette
    * * * * Spider-Man Tech: Creating the Models featurette
    * * * * Building With Layers (Multi-Angle Playing)
    * * * * DVD-ROM "Character Modeler"
    * * * * Previsualization - Abandoned "Spidey-Sense" Test; Initial Mainframe Pitch; Rough
    * * * * Animation
    * * * * Cast & Crew Filmographies
    * * * * Production Artwork Photo Gallery
    * * * * Activision's Spider-Man 2 Game Teaser
    * * * * Hidden Easter Eggs
    * * * * Audio: *English (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS)
    * * * * Theatrical Previews
    * * * * Episode Selections

Not Rated
    Color / Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 276 Minutes
    DVD Catalog #01068
    UPC Code: 0-43396-01068-0
    SLP: $29.95 DVD
  2. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Aug 23, 2002
    Is this the same cartoon that showed on FoxKids about 5 or 6 years ago? I remember it featured a lot of CG, so it might be, but I can't tell from the press release. Seems like that one might fall under Fox's properties.
  3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Jun 13, 2002
    Nope. It's the new MTV CGI series that followed the movie. It premiered earlier this year.
  4. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Oct 12, 2001
    Nope Chris, this is MTV's CGI animated Spider-Man. That's based pretty much on the movie Spider-Man universe. It's pretty good, but I never caught more then the first couple episodes to really judge it fairly. I'll probably pick it up, because maybe WB will see CTHE making all this cash on the release, and realize there's a market and get the old Fox X-Men and Spider-Man toons out in Season Sets. [​IMG]
  5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Apr 15, 2002
    well I am very much interested in this set as I have not seen this before.

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Aug 26, 2001
    Disney owns all the wonderful Marvel shows that aired back in the 90s on FOX Kids. They own The Tick, too. And, sadly, they don't know what to do with them. You would think that with all the good sales on the Transformers sets and all the success that Marvel properties are having on the big screen, that they'd wise up and start putting the shows out in season sets.

I never saw this show when it was on the air (even though I am a bit of a fan of everything Marvel). To anybody that has seen the whole thing, is it good? If it is, I'll probably get it.
    Is Peter a photographer in the show?
    I remember reading an interview with Bendis (or one of the people that worked on it) and he said that Peter was a web designer for the Bugle, like in Ultimate Spider-man. Definitely different, but I'll give it a try if it's good. :p)
  7. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Oct 12, 2001
    Doh, you're right about Disney. Well, I have hope. They tested the waters with those couple of releases with a couple of episodes. And they are supposed to be releasing Gargoyles on DVD sometime soon. [​IMG]
  8. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

May 28, 2003
    Cool! The Spider-Man DVD release from last year was one of the better DVDs I thoroughly enjoyed, so seeing that this new animated collection set will be done in a similar format sounds just as cool. Count me already sold! [​IMG]
  9. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Aug 15, 1998
    This is good news. I loved this show and was disappointed when the season ended (as is the case with all shows I love). Having the animated series continue the storyline (to some extent) after the movie is a great touch.

Harry Osborn makes no secret that he plans to make Spider-Man pay for what he did to his dad.
  10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

Apr 8, 1999
    David Scarpa
    I caught a few minutes of some of the show but I never followed it becasue one I don't watch MTV shows much and the scheduling seemed erratic. I did'nt even realize there were this many eps. Being that they are releasing it in Widescreen anamorphic and the cheap price I'm going to pick this one up.
  11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Aug 26, 2001

CoreyII Second Unit

May 15, 1999
    I used to record this show off of MTV at 10 P.m. on Friday nights. Let me tell you it is a very well done animated series, the animation is different and it does take a bit to get used to.

This is the best superhero animated series I've seen since the Superman and Batman animated series on the WB. Now I must admit that I find the Justice League quite enjoyable also, but the first episode of the Justice League didn't start off as strong as MTV's Spidey.

I love the way the animators make Spiderman move, but more importantly the people behind this excellent animated series have targeted the show for an older crowd. This show is not dumbed down for the "Yugi-Oh" or "Pokemon" crowd, people really get hurt on this show.

There was an episoed involving a female Samaurai/Kraven type warrior who cut a henchmen's finger off and the finger was actually shown falling on the ground, cool stuff eh.

Anyway if I have a job by January, I will not hesitate to pick up this series on DVD. If your are a fan of Spidey or a Marvel Fan then this series is for you, and this is coming from a DC Comics fan.