CTHE Press Release: GODZILLA® VS. MEGAGUIRUS® and GODZILLA®, MOTHRA® AND

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Japan's Legendary Movie Monster Returns to Attack
    In Two All-New Sci-Fi Action Thrillers

************************************************** *******************************************
    GODZILLA® VS. MEGAGUIRUS® and GODZILLA®, MOTHRA® AND
    KING GHIDORAH®
    ************************************************** *******************************************
    New to DVD on January 27

* * * * Culver City, CA (November 17, 2003) - To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Japan's cult
    classic icon Godzilla®, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment will debut two new action-packed
    Godzilla® science-fiction adventures featuring remarkable special effects from the acclaimed Toho
    Studios - GODZILLA® VS. MEGAGUIRUS® and GODZILLA®, MOTHRA® AND KING
    GHIDORAH®: GIANT MONSTERS ALL-OUT ATTACK, available for the first time on DVD
    January 27.

GODZILLA® VS. MEGAGUIRUS®
    Five years after Godzilla® terrorized the city of Osaka, Japanese scientists have developed a new
    weapon to finally destroy their monster nemesis - the Dimension Tide, a device that creates the
    world's first artificial black holes, which will trap Godzilla® for eternity. *During a test of the
    Dimension Tide, an insect caught in the hole mutates, producing gargantuan eggs that give birth to a
    new menace: giant dragonfly monsters called Meganurons®. *Their terrifying 60-meter queen,
    Megaguirus®, is also on a hunt for Godzilla®, needing to steal his energy to survive. *From the sky
    down to the depth of a city's underground sewer tunnels, Godzilla®, Megaguirus®, and humankind
    battle for supremacy. *Who will prevail in this three-way battle of terror and destruction?

GODZILLA®, MOTHRA® AND KING GHIDORAH®: GIANT MONSTERS ALL-OUT ATTACK
    Fifty years ago, the Japanese Defense Forces killed Godzilla® - or so they thought. *When a series
    of terrifying natural disasters begin to plague Japan, including the inexplicable offshore sinking of a
    U.S. submarine, a mystic old man warns his nation that Godzilla® has come back to destroy Japan
    as revenge for all the soul lost in the Pacific War. *When mere military might cannot squash the
    monster, the mystic man awakens the Holy Beasts of Yamato, sleeping giants that protected Japan
    in ancient times. The three untamed mammoth beasts, King Ghidorah®, Mothra® and Baragon®,
    fight Godzilla® in a battle to the death with frightening supernatural brute power that has been
    2,000 years in the making. *Tradition and technology collide in this chilling high-tech, cutting-edge
    fable.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    * * * * Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video
    * * * * Mastered in High Definition
    * * * * Widescreen Presentation
    * * * * Audio: *English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Japanese (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    * * * * Subtitles: English, French
    * * * * Bonus Trailers
    * * * * Scene Selections

Godzilla® vs. Megaguirus® * * * * * * * * * * * *Godzilla®, Mothra® and King Ghidorah®
    Not Rated * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Not Rated
    Color / Closed Captioned * * * * * * * * * * * *Color / Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 106 Minutes * * * * * * * * * * * *Running Time: 105 Minutes
    DVD Catalog # 10013 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *DVD Catalog # 10014
    UPC Code: 0-43396-10013-8 * * * * * * * * * * * *UPC Code: 0-43396-10014-5
    Order Date: 12/23/03 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Order Date: 12/23/03
    SLP: $24.96 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *SLP: $24.96

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

That's going to be one sweet release. I'll be adding this to my Gamera collection.

3. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Don't you mean Gamera®? Still, if these end up with original language as stated, then they have a sale.

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm actually surprised they'd have the original Japanese tracks given Toho's releuctance to include them in the past. BTW How are the Gamera films wanted to pick em up

5. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

6. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I'll believe the OSL when I hear it...

8. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

It's pretty much all but confirmed that the Godzilla discs, at least, will have the Japanese tracks, unless these covers are wrong (or very elaborate fakes). But since Toho is allowing the original Godzilla to be re-released theatrically next year in its original Japanese version it seems more likely to me that the company has finally had a change of heart.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sorry about the REGISTERED trademarks in the
    title. Really was curious to see if this software
    would reprint the logos.

Godzilla releases are cool, no doubt, but
    I am waiting for my favorite Japanese monster
    film....

I think it's called War of the Gargantuans.
    It concerns a monster that lives in the mountains
    and his brother from the sea.

Anybody know of this film?

10. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

It is indeed called War of the Gargantuas (no "n" at the end of "Gargantuas", though [​IMG] ), and it's one of my favorites, too! Russ Tamblyn is the lone english speaking actor. The fabulous Maser Cannons featured in WotG make a return appearance in Toho's recent Godzilla movie, Godzilla X MechaGodzilla. The Gargantua bros. even are referenced in the film as being some of the monsters Japan has had to defend itself against in the past.

It looks as though G X Megaguirus and GMK are actually going to have the original japanese language soundtracks on them. AFAIK, this is a first for any legit release of a Godzilla film in the west on any home theater format. Too much. I will be all over these like white on rice...!

11. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

This is totally brilliant news as particularly GMK, is an awsome Godzilla film.
    The Hong Kong region 3 disc that many G fans might have bought only has a DD2.0 soundtrack. To get the original Japanese track in DD5.1 is fantastic.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Hey Ron War of the Gargantuans is such a favorite monster film of mine. I remember this and Attack of the Colassal Man and the Sequal War of the Collassal Beast being on all the time on Saturday Afternoon Creature Double Features that ran on Ch 56 in Boston. God to I miss Creature Double Features !

Anyhow I don't think Gargantuans are on DVD at least not in Region 1 but I bet it might be available on an import. Since I picked up the Cyberhome Radio Shack Player I might investigate some non region 1 disks.

Thanks for bringing back some fond childhood memories

13. Jim Peavy

I believe it is available on a widescreen DVD from Toho in R2, but no english subs. I would really like to see it letterboxed, as I've only seen the pan & scan version available in america (AMC showed it a couple years back). Plus, almost all of Akira Ifukube's (reportedly) glorious musical score was replaced with stock music in the american language version [​IMG] .

BTW, the first line from my sig. is from the wacky song sung by the american actress in War of the Gargantuas. Remember that one? It was called "The Words Get Stuck In My Throat." The band Devo use to do a cover of it in concert (!).

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Just finished watching If you are a Gamera fan, pick this one up as well as the others, you won't go wrong.

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Best Buy has the 1st Gamera film in a box with room for the other two for $14.99, may pick it up this weekend. Are all the film Anamorphic?

16. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Dave Scarpa Wrote:
    I remember this and Attack of the Colassal Man and the Sequal War of the Collassal Beast being on all the time on Saturday Afternoon Creature Double Features that ran on Ch 56 in Boston. God to I miss Creature Double Features !

Me too! It's The Amazing Colossal Man[​IMG]
    Those two movies would make a great "Midnite Movies" DVD!
    I've been waiting for them to show up on DVD for years!

17. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

I have the rg.2 disc of GMK and that 5.1 is incredible!I hope that this is the 5.1 rg.1 gets.

18. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

19. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

ADV cheaped out and recycled their VHS master for the first Gamera movie, with the ugly overlays and replacement of the original credits.

20. Jim Peavy

I'll trade "ugly overlays and replacement of the original credits" for some decent black levels and sharp colors any day!