CTHE Press Release: DAS BOOT: THE ORIGINAL UNCUT VERSION

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    " ...the most convincing war movie ever made..."
    - Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

Academy Award®-Nominated Director Wolfgang Petersen's
    Gripping Wartime Epic Presented with Two Additional Hours of Footage

************************************************** *****************************
    DAS BOOT: THE ORIGINAL UNCUT VERSION
    ************************************************** *****************************
    Nominated for Six Academy Awards®
    Available June 1 on Two-Disc Collector's Edition DVD

Culver City, CA (March 29, 2004) - Timed for release with his newest historical film
    Troy starring Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom, Academy Award®-nominated director Wolfgang
    Petersen's (Air Force One, The Perfect Storm) first epic wartime drama DAS BOOT will be
    presented in it's original uncut version. Featuring over two more hours of footage than originally
    released in the U.S., DAS BOOT: THE ORIGINAL UNCUT VERSION is now presented in a
    special two-disc set with restored original stereo audio and newly created 5.1 audio. Available
    June 1 from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, DAS BOOT: THE ORIGINAL UNCUT
    VERSION will be priced at $39.95 SLP.

Director Wolfgang Peterson's original vision for DAS BOOT produced an epic six-hour
    mini-series event that has only ever been seen in its entirety on German television, with the edited
    down version released as the acclaimed international motion picture back in 1981. Never-before-
    seen in the U.S., now this fully restored edition will be shown complete and uncut the way it was
    originally intended to be seen.

The most expensive and most successful motion picture in the history of German cinema,
    DAS BOOT is the powerful and realistic tale that follows the daring undersea patrol of U-96, one
    of the famed German U-boats knows as the "gray wolves." Prowling the North Atlantic during
    WWII, they challenged the British Navy at every turn in an attempt to destroy English shipping.
    The crew aboard the U-96 is graphically portrayed in a desperate life-and-death struggle, coping
    with endless hours of claustrophobic boredom at sea, which quickly gives way to terror when
    confronting the enemy. Relentlessly under attack, the U-96 is forced to unheard of depths, the
    creaking hull threatening to collapse and crush the panicked sailors.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
    Making of Featurette
    Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
    Remastered in High Definition
    Widescreen Presentation
    Audio: German, English (Newly Created 5.1 from Stereo); German, English (Original Stereo)
    Subtitles: English, French
    Bonus Trailers
    Scene Selections

Not Rated
    Color
    Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 293 Minutes
    DVD Catalog # 09678
    UPC Code: 0-43396-09678-3
    Order Date: 04/29/04
    SLP: $39.95 DVD

2. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

I guess now we'll have to start collecting versions of DAS BOOT to compare. But yes, it will be good to finally have the full version on DVD.

One quibble...there won't be a commentary track like on the 'director's cut'. But no skin off our nose.

So until Turner finally unleashes the full 8-hour version of GREED, the uncut DAS BOOT will suffice.

3. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

It will be great to see the full mini-series finally.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

4. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

The article is wrong actually, the mini series has been broadcasted in other places than the German television. I've seen it before and I have to tell you I can't wait to see this on DVD. While the DVD I currently have is great, I found it lacking in context as I had seen the series before it.

5. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Yea, Sami is right.

The Encore channel aired the full miniseries version of DAS BOOT last year. Of course, not many of us have the Encore channel (Unless you have DirecTV).

No matter. The DVD will satisfy us.

6. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I saw it on the Finnish TV almost right after it came out so it has been a while. Hmmm, over 20 years already, has it been? [​IMG]

7. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Looking forward to this and am glad I held off on buying any of the previous versions.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I am reasonably sure that it was shown in its entirety on PBS many years ago. Though as I did not see what was telecast in Germany, I can’t state this with assurity.

Regardless, I’m happy to know that it will all be available soon. A great film.