CTHE Press Release: Ali - The Director's Cut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator

Jul 3, 1997
    Ronald Epstein
    "Extraordinary! One of the best films of the year. Michael Mann and Will Smith
    punch their way to the bruised heart of a hero." * - Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

From Academy Award®-Nominated Biopic Starring Superstar Will Smith
    Presented in All-New Extended Edition with Additional Footage
    and Never-Before-Seen Special Features

Two-Disc DVD Set Supervised Directly by Acclaimed Filmmaker Michael Mann Debuts June 1

* * * * Culver City, CA (April 6, 2004) - Put the gloves on, step between the ropes and
    bring the champ home again in the all-new special extended version of the Academy Award®-
    nominated drama ALI starring box office heavyweight Will Smith (Men in Black, Bad Boys II). *
    Featuring never-before-seen footage added directly by Academy Award®-nominated filmmaker
    Michael Mann (Heat, The Insider) plus brand new audio commentary by director Mann, and an
    exclusive making-of featurettes, the ALI: DIRECTOR'S CUT two-disc DVD set will premiere
    June 1 from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, priced at $24.95 SLP.

Arguably the most fascinating and legendary personality in sports history, Will Smith *
    delivers the knock-out performance of his career as boxing legendary Muhammad Ali, which
    earned him his first-ever Oscar® and Golden Globe nominations for Best Actor. *This critically-
    acclaimed and visually stunning epic co-stars Jamie Foxx (Any Given Sunday, Booty Call),
    Mario Van Peebles (New Jack City, Posse), Ron Silver (Reversal of Fortune), Jeffrey Wright
    (Angels in America) and Jada Pinkett-Smith (The Matrix Reloaded, Set It Off).

Muhammad Ali thrilled the world with his ground-breaking boxing victories in the '60s
    and '70s. *But the man behind the legend is grappling with a tumultuous romantic life, his deeply
    held religious beliefs and the pressure of staying on top. *A quick-witted, winning personality
    and strong friendships with close associates, including renowned newscaster Howard Cosell
    (Golden Globe nominee Jon Voight - *Holes, Pearl Harbor), help Ali "float like a butterfly and
    sting like a bee." *But faced with a life-changing conflict outside of the ring, the famously
    opinionated boxer is forced to rely on the one person he knows the best: himself.

* * * * Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
    * * * * Remastered in High Definition
    * * * * Widescreen Presentation
    * * * * Never-Before-Seen Footage
    * * * * Director's Commentary
    * * * * Documentaries on the making of the movie
    * * * * Audio: *English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    * * * * Subtitles: *English, Spanish, French
    * * * * Scene Selections

Not Rated
    Closed Captioned
    Running Time: 165 Minutes
    DVD Catalog # 09056
    UPC Code: 0-43396-09056-9
    Order Date: 04/29/04
    SLP: $24.95 DVD
  2. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Dec 28, 1998
    Like you Ron, I really like this film.Im not too happy about a double dip - I guess Ill have to wait and see whats said in some of the reviews before deciding.
  3. JohnTRU

JohnTRU Stunt Coordinator

Jun 4, 2003
    I never actually bought the film when it first came out - not sure why. Maybe because it was a two-disc set here in R4-land and it didn't actually seem to have anything decent on it (apart from the film of course). That, and the price was far too high for what was essentially a 'bare-bones' two disc set (if there is such a thing).

Will definitely get this version though. Underrated film...
  4. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Dec 25, 2001
    Joshua Bal
    I've held off for so long in buying this, seeing it for around $7 to 9 in many places. I'll be happy to pick this up on June 1st. I have to admit, the cover art for it that I have seen is much better than the previous release.

Is Micahel Mann starting to become more pro DVD? I thought I heard he doesn't do special editions. Now we have Ali, Manhunter, and the soon to be released SE of Heat. I for one an still waiting for The Insider SE.