CT32HX41 and TimeWarner 2000HD woes.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_N, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Dave_N

Dave_N Extra

I have been watching a Panasonic CT-32HX41 for about 3 weeks now with the only source of digital input (ie, component video) being a Time Warner HDTV capable digital cable box (SA 2000HD).
    While watching the only 2 HDTV channels (HBO and ShowTime) available to me, I have not been overwhelmed by HDTV on a 32 inch set. Biggest complaint: If the movie happens to be filmed in 2.35-to-1 aspect ratio, you end up with approx. half the screen in black bars. For this reason alone I would suggest that a 32" TV is not appropriate for HDTV. Don't get me wrong, most of the time the HDTV images are stunning, just TOO SMALL!!! The only complaints I have about the image quality is that occasionally the feed is just poor: green squiggles or drop outs or the objects lag in fast motion scenes, or the letterbox decreases about 10% in vertical height for about 1 second then restores. Another thing I do not understand: if in Component 1 video mode ALL channels are reduced to being displayed as 4:3 within a 16:9 frame, meaning I have black bars on top, bottom AND both sides. The end effect when watching component input is a screen size equivalent to a 25" screen. I do not know if this is by design or a fault with either the TW HD cable box or the TV itself.
    Also, a big negative with this particular HDTV capable cable box is how slow it is in responding to any commands: channel change, menu selection, etc. Sometimes I wait up to 5 seconds before an image appears after a channel change.
    What all this has me thinking is: "Is having HDTV capability on a 32" TV worth it?".
    Maybe I would be happier with the CT-32SX31 (basically the same set with HDTV). Or is there some other feature in this set that is worth the extra $500? I have not gotten the DVD player yet. Unfortunately, my choices are limited to either of these 2 sets as they are they only 32" sets that will fit in the way-too-expensive-wife-had-to-have-it entertainment center.
    TIA,
    Dave

2. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    I have nearly the EXACT same combination, only I have the CT32HX40. I actually have 2 Time Warner/ S. Atlanta 2000HD boxes in my house. One is hooked up to the Panny, and the other is to my Pioneer SD-532-HD5. The picture on the Pioneer is always 100% amazing. But, I notice that the picture on the Panny, apart from being quite small like you said, sometimes exhibits some strange picture quirks. It is most prevelant in dark scenes, and the picture looks VERY digitized, whole blocks of color have these wavy lines in them that remind me of contour lines on a topography map. That probably sounds weird, but I don't know how else to describe it. Also, I notice it on background objects in an HD picture. I too have the problem of the aspect ratio lock losing itself for about a second. Sometimes it happens once, other times three or four times.
    Do you see any/all of these things?
    [Edited last by Matt Taylor on September 10, 2001 at 10:52 PM]

3. Dave_N

Dave_N Extra

Matt,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have not seen the "wavy" lines that you describe. Whoever, I do notice that the picture from the s-video feed of non-digital channels is sort of pixelated (if you get too close to the set). Basically, for all non-HD, I only watch composite input as it is much better, all around, than the s-video. I attribute this to the 3-line digital comb filter used on RF and composite inputs.
    I have called Sears and asked for a replacement; to which they said no problem. It will cost me $35 for delivery of new set and removal of old; well worth it if it saves me from another backache.
    I will post results of replacement. I just wish I do not end up with something worst than what I have now.