What's new

Ct32hx40 (1 Viewer)

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Hello all -
I purchased a CT32HX40 at Circuit City not to long ago and have enjoyed the TV, until now... Recently, I was watching Sleepy Hollow (not the first time on this TV btw) and noticed that there was a green vertical bar on the right side of the screen (about two inches in from the right side of the screen and about 3-4 inches wide). Quite bothered by this (as you could imagine) I went and tested every DVD in every mode to see if it was the same, it was. I then swaped out DVD players then cables, still the same. I used my PS2, same thing. At first I thought it was the tube, but this does not occur while watching a cable signal, ONLY DVDs (using any type of connection) and VHS. I contacted Circuit City and a repair man came out, he said this was a common thing for the Taus AND the Wegas, that apparently this 'line' is there to prevent burn in from the black bars displayed during 'Widescreen' viewings. If this is true, why is it showing up now? Somehow I have a feeling they might be blowing smoke. Has anyone else seen this issue? Any tips? I've adjusted the setting with Avia, etc., to no avail. I'm quite disturbed. Anyone?
A great TV, that is, if you can get one that doesn't have any screen issues.
------------------
Tim Hess
HT Link coming soon!
[Edited last by Tim Hess on August 27, 2001 at 05:57 PM]

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I had 2 40's and a 41 and not one of them had this problem. They all had non straight geometry that couldn't be fixed though.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Well I contacted Circuit City again and apparently the Serviceman's report stated that there was nothing wrong with the TV and the claim was closed, he's coming out again on Friday (why I don't really know, but hey he closed my claim, I'll make him comeout again
wink.gif
I called Panasonic and they are sending a repair person out today. They didn't seem to happy about the way that Circuit City handled the situation.
I'll post results fromt the Panasonic visit tonight.

DougP

Agent
I've recently purchased a CT36HX41 (from Good Guys) and it does not have the problem you described. Sounds like yours needs replacing. GG has a 30-day return policy which I'll bet you have it too. Don't let your 30-day pass, I think GG is trying to do that with me.
I don't have the problem you refer to but I've got hellacious red-push. I think I have figured out how to adjust it all with Avia but now I'm noticing geometry problems and I'm starting to think I'm not going to be happy with the TV even if it's calebrated. I wish someone out there who was happy with their picture could send me all of their service mode and picture/color/tint settings!
Then I'd know if it was me or not...

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Doug,
Try www.hometheaterspot.com and go to the Panasonic forum for info on how to eliminate red push via the service menu.
The geometry cannot be fixed and it is evident in every flat screen display I have seen, regardless of manufacturer. I found the geometry unacceptable but some people aren't as picky as I am.

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
I have not seen this phenomenon on my ct-32HX40. It must be an isolated case. Let us know what the Panny service guy says or does.
Matt

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Well the Panny Service Rep came out as planned yesterday, I adjusted the brightness, picture, etc., on a black 'input' screen (not a black screen from the TV being on and no device feeding a signal, but a source (DVD) playing a movie and paused on a black transition screen). No surprise here, he could see it just fine, he wrote down everything (green bar or stripe on the right side (and actually a small thin line of the same on the left side, component inputs only, no adjustment of the controls could fix it, nothing listed in the service manual...).
He'll send the report in and see if there if anything similar has been reported. If not, they either attempt to fix it in home or they'll have to bring it into the shop
frown.gif
Circuit City is coming out on Friday (again) anyway, so at least I can ask the service guy why he closed my first claim when he admitted there being something wrong. CC should just replace it and allow me to upgrade to the 34"
wink.gif

More as it happens!
[Edited last by Tim Hess on August 30, 2001 at 12:24 PM]

DougP

Agent
Thanks Andrew - I have read both forums looking for the ultimate solution to my red push problem. The problem is that all the fixes I've seen aren't for the (ct32hx40/41 36hx40/41) series. Specifically there is one missing adjustment in the service mode.
So I keep searching and reading and hope someone will one day post a complete fix for that series. I did use Avia and was able to get it down from almost 20% to maybe 10%. Improved but I still contemplate sending the TV back.
Tim - from what I've read the problem you are having seems to be an isolated problem. There is a report on hometheaterspot about a "white line" problem that might be similar to yours.
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=22&t=000252
Not quite sure, I don't think it's a white version of the green line you are having!

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I'll be sure to discuss the red push with the service repairman while my TV is opened :) Anyone have any other good links to Service menu fixes for the red push than the one listed above, I'd really like to find one specific to the Ct32hx40/B/41
[Edited last by Tim Hess on August 30, 2001 at 06:47 PM]
[Edited last by Tim Hess on August 30, 2001 at 07:01 PM]

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Just got a call from the Authroizen Repair shop, Panasonic has reccomended a 'Digital Board' replacement, the shop is hoping to have it sent out today from Panasonic to hopefully come out with it tomorrow.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
On the red push issue you may want to check into the Red Push Killer used by Mitsubishi owners. There are details at the Spot.
It does seem to work and it is adaptable to different TV's but it will only work for your component inputs.
NB: My last Panny had a problem with it's component inputs. Both Sets! If you plan on using these at some stage check them out early for a very noticeable shimmer effect. I thought it was my cable or my RP91 until I got the Toshiba and the problem completely disapeared.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
So, the Circuit City guy comes out (again, same guy) and can see the vertical green stripe on my screen and says that the Panasonic Engineers he speaks with (heh) are aware that the TV does this, but it is due to incompatibilities with other manufacturer's hardware (anything other than a Panasonic device being hooked up to the TV). This is a TOTALLY different story than he gave me the first time he came out on a call (the first one being that this 'issue' is becasue they are avoiding 'burn in' while watching letter boxed movies and it is a common occurance on the Tau, Mitsubishi AND WEGA models), but no one else out there had this issue so far but me. So as far as Curcuit City is concerned there is no problem, BUT he wants to set up another visit with a Panny DVD player in tow just to make sure...if he knew the situtaion, why did he not bring one with him? Does he enjoy coming out to my house every week or so? :)
This is the biggest load I've ever heard, I purchased the 3yr. extended Service Plan and all they do is blow me off everytime. It is painfully obvious to anyone that sees the TV that there is soemthing wrong with it, CC is feeding me new excuse after new excuse, obviously not wanting to fix it or replace it. Panasonic on the other hand is at least sending out a service man with a plan to swap out the digital board to see if that makes a difference.
I will NEVER shop at Circuit City again, hell the Good Guys have bett CS than these guys.
------------------

DougP

Agent
Don't let them screw you around - return it! (If you can). If I wasn't making slow progress improving my picture I would be doing the same thing - and then wait a month and buy something else coming out on the market!
PS - I'm waiting for more links to details specific to our breed of Panny's too - but it's not out there yet as near as I can tell. Avia and the links that I have found (and the hours of reading) do help. But it's slow to a newbie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks