What's new

CT-M6R Cassette Changer (1 Viewer)

Robert Wellman

Auditioning
I was lucky enough to pick up a CT-M6R at a Pawn shop recently and I have had what I think is a strange problem with it and I was hoping someone in the forums could help. Everything on the unit is working perfectly except when playing the second side of a cassette is seams to be stuck in Quick Reverse. It is almost like the unit is trying to do high speed dubbing but since there is only one deck that does not make much since.

Is this a feature of the unit or is something wrong? Is there a way to turn this off? I called Pioneer hoping to obtain a remote and a copy of the owner's manual but they told me that they don't carry either any more.

If there is anyone out there that has the Owners Manual for the CT-M6R I would be happy to pay you for a copy of it. I don't think Pioneer can complain too much they don't carry the manuals anymore.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert Wellman

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I don't have the CT-M6R, but I do have the Pioneer CT-WM77R cassette changer. The 'WM77R has a six-cassette changer and a single casette well for internal dubbing and convenient playback of a single cassette. In reading through the owner's manual for the 'WM77R, I saw no reference to a "Quick Reverse" feature. The closest thing I could find is "Fast-reverse". This feature is defined as follows in the manual (page 9):
If this button is pressed during stop mode, the tape is fast-forwarded in the direction of the arrows (towards the beginning of side A or the end of side B). If it is pressed during playback, the playback position skips backward by one selection for each press of the button (up to 15 selections), and playback resumes at the beginning of the designated selection (see MUSIC SEARCH, page 19).
I don't suppose this is the same feature you are referring to.
This thread really belongs on the Audio/Video Sources board, and it might draw more attention over there. Cassette decks rarely get "airtime" on that board, but it is the best fit for this thread.

Robert Wellman

Auditioning
Keith,

Thanks for the info. I will copy my post to Audio/Video Sources forum.

Sorry about the mis-post I thought I saw Components in the title not Separates. Hazards of a computer support job where you read 100's of web-pages a day.

Robert Wellman

Kevin P

Screenwriter
My hunch is the reverse pinchroller isn't engaging properly. Auto-reverse decks have 2 capstans (a small silver post) and pinchrollers (the rubber tire that pinches the tape against the capstan), one for forward, one for reverse. Only one is engaged at a time, depending on which direction the tape is playing. If the playback appears to be too fast (approx. 2x normal speed, depending on whether you're at the beginning or end of the tape), this can happen if the pinchroller doesn't engage and press the tape against the capstan. The capstan regulates the speed.

If you engage playback with no cassette inserted, you should see the heads and pinchroller engage. Then reverse the playback--you should see one pinchroller disengage and the other one engage. I'll bet you'll find that one pinchroller isn't engaging, or is missing entirely.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks