What's new

CSW S300 Surrounds Question (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard the Cambridge Soundworks Newton S300's? I really like the fact that they have a switch on them so they can run in monopole, bipole or dipole modes.

I've found a couple reviews, but the reviews are usually of the entire system and don't really focus on the surround speakers other than to say that it's cool that you can switch between the various types (mono, bi and di).

I'd love to get the Axiom surrounds, but they're a little out of my ballpark right now.

I don't think there's anywhere nearby that sells the CSW's where I could listen to them . . . what retailer does sell them anyway?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the S300, I have the older, less expensive 5.1 dipole/bipole surround and I like them.

If I were you, I would get a pair of B-Stock S300 for $280 and you have 45 days to decide whether to keep them.

Only 2 places to listen. One near Boston, one in California.

Let us know what you decide.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up Arthur.

I know their website says "limited supplies." Do you know if they regularly have b-stocks available? I really wasn't planning to buy until June when I get a bonus at my new job. It'd be a little tough for me to convince the wife right now -- especially with the move coming up.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
Seth, I have the S300's and am very happy with them. I switched them between dipole, bipole, and direct and found a real difference. Much better than the Polk surrounds I had before. Watch the Cambridge web site as I paid $200 for new A stock with free ship. Highly reccomended

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joe, that's great to hear!

Another question: I know dipoles are generally best when placed directly to the sides of the listening position. In our new place the couch is going to be against a wall and there will not be a place to put the speakers facing toward the couch (like traditional side speakers would). Any idea how these would sound mounted on the back wall facing the tv? One reason I find these speakers so intriguing is the ability to switch between the various modes . . . I think this ability may allow for more placement options which could be beneficial as my wife and will likely move at least twice in the next 3 years or so.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Anyone interested in CSW stuff on the cheap should check out their Ebay store. They have several pages of B-stock items, usually at pretty reduced prices. The name of their store on Ebay is the same as their website - hifi.com

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Alan. Ebay is actually where I first came across these speakers. My only concern about buying them from Ebay is that they don't mention the 45 day return policy that they offer on their website. This is fairly important to me since there's no way for me to hear before I buy.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Seth: Wish I could help you there....I'm not sure what their return policy is on the Ebay site. Shoot an email off to them and see....The only thing I bought off of there - one of their clock radios - I ended up keeping. The thing was friggin ridiculously good....KILLED the Bose wave radio, and I got it for like 1/3 the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks