CSW Owners

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JasonBrandon, Feb 27, 2004.

1. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

It seems that there are a few CSW owners on this board and I would like to start a thread to compare notes among them.

I am currently running 2 Classic Towers, an MC400, a pair of S300s and a P1000 in my living room. I wonder sometimes if the towers are overkill given that my room is 12x12.

Has anyone else used the Classic Towers, if so, what are your impressions. Given that I am considering moving to bookshelves as mains, what is the favored model? I really like the look of the M50, 60, 80 but would sacrifice aesthetics for better performance.

Hope you guys chime in.

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jason, I'm using two pairs of M50s now for my fronts and surrounds and I like their sound. Our room is about the same size as yours. I suspect though you'd want to listen to the M80s as far as Cambridge Soundworks goes if you were moving from the towers to a bookshelf model.

cheers,

--tom

3. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

Thanks for the response Tom. What are you using for a center channel. How do you like the M50s?

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I use the MC300 for the center speaker. I really don't have room for anything bigger although a few folks have said that the MC400 seems like a better tonal match to the M50s - since the both use the 5.25 inch woofer. I like the M50s but once again, that's the max size bookshelf I can have given my setup. I compared them to the Paradigm Atoms and liked both equally well. Just happened to go with the M50s. I have done some listening "tests" between the S300s in direct mode (the same as the MC200) and the M50s and prefer the M50s. I suspect I'd like the MC400 as my center better than the MC300 as well if I could fit it in.

cheers,

--tom

5. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

I am unsure about how I feel about the s300 surrounds. I have used MC200s, tower IIs and now the dipole as my surrounds. I cant decide which I like the best. probably the tower II's but my room sint big enough for 4 towers.

6. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I use the MC300's for the fronts and center along w/an SVS 25-31PCi(22hz) in a 12.5x 12.5 room. My HK AVR225 crossover is set at 100hz and it all sounds great.

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jason,

I had S300s as my surrounds but then I started listening to 5.1 music and found the M50s better than the S300s in direct mode for music.

cheers,

--tom

8. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

That is what I'm worried about Thomas. Though currently I either listen to 2 channel music or movies. The multi channel audio bug hasnt bit me yet. I wonder what 5 MC400s would sound like. Probably pretty good.

9. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Hi Jason,

Don't lose those Towers!! I love those speakers. If it were me, the only way I would change them is if space or looks were an issue. I think the CSW bookshelves are some of the best looking speakers out there.
    Here are my thought on CSW's bookshelves. I currently have the M50's with a P500 sub. If you have a good sub, which obviously you do with the P1000, the M50's perform quite well. To my ears, the choice was between the M50's and the M80's. The M60's sounded too forward and a little bright to my ears. At first listen, they jumped out at me, and I thought I would like the M60's the best, but after extended listening they were a little fatiguing. (Some people really like the sound of the M60's best, so use your own ears and decide if this is right to you). The M50's sounded very natural to my ears. I noticed this the most on female vocals and musical instruments such as the piano.
    If I had more space (and I am currently under negotiations for floor space in my living room [​IMG] ) I would probably upgrade to M80's or Classic Towers.
    I have an MC400 paired with the M50's and think it is their best center channel.
    Greg

10. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

Thanks for the response Greg. I do like my towers a lot but I am worried that they overkill in my 12x12 room. I am far from an audiophile so I dont know how much speaker I need. I am trying to figure out if a book shelf would sound better in such a small room. I wish their trade-in/return policies werent so liberal so that I could just listen and enjoy.

11. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

alright,

Forget what I said earlier. I just traded in my M50's for M60's. You are right Jason, their trade in/up policy is too liberal for my own good. After reading this thread, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and went and listened to the bookshelves again. After some extensive jazz listening, I found that the M60's provided better seperation of instruments rather than one squashed sound. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the M50's, but I like the M60's better (I know, I probably sound crazy). They also sound stronger in my 19' x 20' room. I think the M50's would be better suited for a smaller room, but the 6 1/2" woofers do better in my larger room. I also compared them to Paradigms Mini Monitors, and liked them better which solidified my decision.

Greg

12. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Greg:

What about the tonal balance? Is it similar between the 50s and 60s or is one brighter than the other?

13. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

The M60 is a little brighter, but that was the reason I started to think of the upgrade. With the M50's, the MC400 sounded a little brighter than the bookshelves. In my room the M60's match better to the center even though they have 6 1/2" mids vs the 5 1/4" MC400.

14. SusanS

SusanS Auditioning

Greg,

Are you using M60's for your surrounds as well? If not, what are you using? Thanks.

15. Tony Genovese

Thanks. In fact, the M50 is much less bright than the T500 and MC400. I've been using them as surrounds. I was thinking of replacing them with additional MC400s, but that will end up costing about $1000. Two pairs of M60s would be much less, and if they match well to the 400 center might be the way to go.

16. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Currently I have M60's for mains, MC400 for center, P500 sub, and the Surround 5.1 for rears. I have been placing so much emphasis on the front soundstage my rears have been neglected.
    Right now, my rears are good enough, but with my "upgraditis", I am sure it will only be a matter of time. I am still up in the air between dipole/bipole/ and direct radiating. If I am going to move from the Surround 5.1 to direct radiating, I want to do it with matching bookshelves, and not the direct mode of the S300.

Tony,
    I am only one day into this, but I think it is a great match. I will let you know once I have more time to spend with the setup.

Greg

17. Tony Genovese

Thanks, Greg.

18. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Extra

I have a pair of M80s with an MC500 at center. I used a set of DefTech BP8 for surround (my old main speakers). The only thing I don't like is the MC500 is really really big. I just got an HK 7200 and am watching many of my dvds again - the improvements over my old receiver are subtle but noticeable, and I'm even more impressed with the M80s.

I haven't heard the Towers but I'd guess they would perform as good or better than the M80s.

What are the terms of their trade-in policy?

19. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Dave, I called my local Cambridge Soundworks store and they said that within a year of purchasing you can trade in/up your speakers and you get a new year period for the new speakers. After a year, they said they don't do it - at least that is what the salesman at my store said. I had enquired about whether I could trade in/sidegrade my S300s that I purchased about 20 months ago for a pair of M50s. But for now, I've moved the S300s into our dining room and have M50s for my direct radiating surrounds. I agree with Greg that if you're going to do direct/monopole for your surrounds, I'd go with the bookshelf models instead of the S300s.

cheers,

--tom

20. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

Wow, this thread has taken off. I have decided to stick with the towers (I think) but now that leaves me with a slight problem regarding the timbre match of the towers and the MC400. I am thinking of exchanging my MC400 for a Centerstage but I have heard conflicting reports about its quality. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Centerstage vs. the MC400?

I could also trade in my towers for the new T100's or MC400's and have a perfectly matched front soundstage. WHat do you all think about this idea? I have a feeling that nothing matches the musical performance of the Classic Towers but they may not be the best for HT.

Always a dilemma...