CSS Elf Spires completed!!( Pics inside)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Curt Badry, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

I just completed my front sound stage, and man do they sound great. They have been compared to the Totem Arrows, so i went down to A&B sound and had a listen. I was also told/read that the Spires were better "Hands Down", and now that i had a chance to listen to them both i have to agree 100%. I love these speakers. I love the sound and look of the W3-871S.
    I made the cabinets out of 1/2" MDF to spec and finished them with Cherry veneer and three coats of wipe on poly. The feet were made out of Zebra Wood. I think they accent them very nicely.
    The pics can be found from the link below. there are 2 pages of pics, i'm pretty proud of myself right now, and without this forum and it's members, i'd still have my old junkers..
    I love D.I.Y........ I'm having a blast.

2. Dan_M

Dan_M Agent

Very nice looking cabinets, they look clean and finished nicely. How are the highs with those drivers? I have never seen this particular design.

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Nicely done. Excellent veneer work, the feet look great too.

4. Curt Badry

Thanks guys,
    Dan, the highs are very clean and accurate. very detailed sound. This was my first attempt at veneering. I have a trimming bit for my router but it must be getting dull because it would cut the veneer fine but it was just folding over the paper backing. I was thinking that it could have also been that the paperbacking was not completly dry from the contact cement. Either way, it wasn't working so i just took my time and used a knife and a little sanding.

5. RodN

RodN Stunt Coordinator

Curt,

Wow, fantastic work, that design is interesting, the picture with the sand in it really raised my eyebrows! And so you should be proud of yourself, they look loads better than anything you'll see in a shop! They'll probably improve over the next 100 odd hours of breakin time too.

So now that the DIY bug has got you, what's the next project? [​IMG]

Cheers
    Rod

6. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Curt:

What speakers did you have before? How do these Spires compare to your old ones?
    What do you have them crossed over at on your reciever?

7. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

Excellent workmanship, all of your projects look very professional and well designed. What topology and alignment are the Spires? Very interesting design, looks very sleek modern. I really like the translucent glass doors on the storage cabinet, I did a very similar built in cabinet that went from media shelf, to chameleon habitat, to waterfall/terrarium.

Did you get the Spiresht5 kit?

8. Curt Badry

Thanks for the comments,

Rod, I'm thinking of building a cabinet for my components/center channel. I'm going to make a corner unit suspended above my T.V.

Dean, my old speakers were "Acoustic Profiles" They were about ten years old. I'm not sure if they were sold in the states but they have since gone out of business. There's really no comparison. My old ones sounded ok for what they were, but the center channel was the reason i needed to upgrade. At points in movies the vocals would sound muddy, not clear at all. I really had to strain to here it. Now it's crystal clear. They're very detailed, vocals are very clean. I don't have a trained ear like alot of you on here, but they sound great to me. They are crossed over from my reciever at 90hz, i have an older Yamaha and that is my only choice.

Mike, Thanks, yeah the cabinet doors are frosted. I used 2 cans of frost glass from Home Depot. $6.00 a can if i can remember correctly. It was very easy to work with. Yes that's the Spire kit i got. $119.00CND each. Three kits with taxes was just over $400.00 CND. The center channel cross over is different than the towers but other than that they are the same. If your interested, you can contact Bob @ CSS, very nice guy. The designer of the Spires is a member here also. I believe his name is AllenRW. His business is called Raw Acoustics. I'm sure there is a link to his site from the CSS site.

Curt

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Curt,

Those speakers look very nice! [​IMG]

Excellent work on finishing off the cabinets. Very nice!

10. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Curt, I remember seeing your storage cabinet and Tempest, and once again you have done a fantastic job. Great work on the speakers. Are you going to do something similar for the surrounds?

11. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Your router bit is probably just fine, the paper always rolls over, I've never been able to get it to trim nicely and end up having to sand it off carefully.

You could try non-backed veneer...it trims up really nice but usually has a lighter band of wood underneath making the seams a tad more visible.

12. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one who doesn't see the links???

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    AAron: The links are in his sig [​IMG]

14. Curt Badry

Darren
    Thanks, I've only used my trimming bit on one other project, and that was my tempest so i am glad to hear that it's the veneer not the bit. Thanks for the tip.

Owen,
    As far as my surrounds go,I bought a pair of Jamo Dipole's around christmas (before i got into DIY), I really like the sound field that they seem to create. So i'm going to keep them, but if i had to do it over now knowing of this forum and DIY, i would definatly make some surrounds. I could probably make 6 pair for what i paid for my Jamo's. Rediculous when you think about it.[​IMG]

15. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Odd, I do not see a signature. [​IMG]

Maybe I'm having issues with the new format...

Edit:
    Keith,
    Yes I can see the links (below this post). I don't want to junk up this thread, I should be doing it in the test area.

16. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

there's an option in User Control panel thingy, to turn on signatures.

17. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

How's the max SPL and sensitivity on the spires. I know that's a big limiting factor on the various smaller elf kits. Are these appropriate for reference level HT when matched with a great sub?

Thanks [​IMG]

18. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have a queston about the elf spires? i have a 18 by 25 room with dual av15 in a huge box tuned low i also have a adcom 7607 125 by 7 @8 ohms and a sunfire theater grand III would these speakers work for my ht? would they have enough out put? also would a super elf work as a suround? or sould i look at the av2?

curent setup is polk audio 800 mains 400 center and 4 fx 500 for suround

19. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

Very nice looking speakers, I really like the zebra wood feet.