CSI US release in September?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Brent, Jul 18, 2002.

1. David Brent

David Brent Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    DVDBoxoffice is listing "CSI Delux Set" for release on 10 September 2002 at $61.97.
    It's down as a three disk set containing 12 episodes, released by Universal.
    Anyone have more information about this, or know of any other sites listing it, as it seems to have come out of the blue?
    More importantly, will it be in 16x9 anamorphic widescreen and feature The Who's "Who Are You?" theme song, unlike the recent, dissapointing UK release of the first half of Crime Scene Investigation's debut season?
    Check out...
    http://www.dvdboxoffice.com
    and look for it listed under the front page's "Just Announced" section.
    Cheers,
    David

2. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Hope this getz the 16x9 treatment.

As an owner of the UK release, the overall quaility is excellent....

As for all the bitchin about the WHO music, big deal....

I watch the program for the content, not the 30 seconds of music at the beginning...

Dugger

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

There have been rumors of this, of course, but nothing definate. Perhaps this is announced at the VSDA event in Las Vegas this week. HTFer and TVShowsOnDVD.com owner Gord Lacey is there right now, and will bring back the scoop for us! With all the other TV-on-DVD announcements, I would not bet against this being true!

4. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Why not add another 8-10 and make it a season set?

-- Matt

5. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

It's a half season release like with so many shows in R2/4 like Buffy, Angel, West Wing.
    CSI in UK was Pan&Scammed so I do hope US release is widescreen, just like Andromeda by ADV is.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Please make this be true. This is one of my favorite shows. Besides, it has to be true. Why? Because, I bought a dvd burner a couple of months ago. And CSI is one of the shows I have been recording. The problem is that I am still missing most of the episodes. And the show is rumored to be coming to syndication, but on TNN. And they have that horrible black bar at the bottom the entire show time.
    Please make this be true. [​IMG]
    (adding) I wonder if it will be released in Canada only, similar to what they did with the Smallville pilot? This way it avoids any syndication problems.

7. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Besides having a crappy full screen transfer and missing the Who Theme, what else did the UK verison of CSI have on the disc?

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Mark me down. One of the few network shows I still catch regularly.
    vive la télévision sur DVD! [​IMG]

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd prefer a full season, but I may consider picking this up if it pans out.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I called and spoke to Janice in customer service at Dvdboxoffice. She at first didn't know that it was coming. She put me on hold and asked someone. They said it is coming out. I asked if it could be the R2 version. She said they don't carry R2 discs. So hopefully, this is legit.

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I just realized something about this.

Isn't C.S.I. a Buena Vista owned title? I may be wrong about this, but if it is, then check this logic:

BV just got through announcing Felicity, Sports Night, and Once and Again for Nov. 5th.

If C.S.I. is coming to R1 on Sep. 10th, then why would we know about the other three already but not C.S.I.?

Based on this, I figure it's doubtful as to how accurate this is. Feedback?

13. Kenneth Cummings

I got this info from IMDB.

Production Companies
    Alliance Atlantis Communications [ca]
    CBS Productions [us]
    Jerry Bruckheimer Films [us]
    Touchstone Television [us]

Appears it is Disney, but maybe they still release later this year. Please hope so, because I love this show.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Dave, You bring up some good points. The listing at dvdboxoffice shows Universal as the mfg. If this is legit. I again think it is a release like Smallville was. A Canada only deal. Remember Alliance is a Canadian company. Maybe, Touchtone has the US rights and Universal or Alliance the Canadian rights. I don't think Touchtone is a major player. I went to the licensing show in NYC a few weeks ago. And Alliance had a booth there. I was able to get a promotional folder from both CSI & CSI:Miami. Both only show the following production companies:
    -CBS productions
    -Jerry BruckHeimer Films
    -Alliance Atlantis

Maybe, this means nothing. Maybe, it explains it. I guess we will find out in a few weeks either way.

15. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Besides DVDBoxOffice, I've found another Canadian website advertising this set: cnl.com. They give the list price as $87.71 and their selling price as $64.32 CDN; that's only about $42.00 US. But, alas, the listing contains the dreaded words. . ."pan and scan"

16. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I was thinking along the same lines as David. Even without the other November 5 releases, there is less than two till September 10. You'd think a DVD like this would get at least three months of publicity before being released.

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Gary, I think the C&L web site info proves my theory of it being a Canada only release. They show the mfg to be "Universal/Alliance Atlantis Canada". I think this is legit. And with the $40 US price range making 12 episodes a better deal.

18. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

CSI is a fun show I guess, but I just can't get over how unrealistic it is. I guess being a forensic biochemistry student biases my opinion, but have you guys ever checked out Forensic Files or The New Detectives on TLC/Discovery? They probably aren't as entertaining, but definitely give you a less "hollywoodized" view of real life forensic analysis.

19. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

****UPDATE*****
    CSI is DEFINITELY coming out on dvd. It is slated for September 10. I just got off the phone with a video rep at Alliance/Atlantis. They are based in Canada. She said the show is definitely coming. I asked her the following questions:
    1-Is the show a Canadian only release?
    2-Is the show going to be Widescreen or full screen?
    3-Is it going to have the "Who Are You?" song by the Who at the beginning?
    The only info she had was that it was definitely coming out. She took my number and was going to talk to more senior people and let me know the answers to the above. As soon as I get any info. I will pass it on.
    Sweet!! [​IMG]
    ps-CSI, Trek, Babylon 5, Outer Limits. Oh my wallet!

20. Kenneth Cummings

Oh cool, I hope it is in widescreen, as this set will probably played so much in my DVD player. ^^