CSI, TNN, syndication and that stupid bar at the bottom!...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Apr 26, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just picked the Panasonic dmr-e20 dvd burner. So I want to record CSI, which is one of my favorite shows. My problem is this. I know it is going into syndication this fall. I heard it will be on TNN. And they use put that horrible black bar at the bottom. I wouldn't mind a station logo in the corner or even a occasional popup version of the bar. But, they leave it on ALL the time and fill it with preview info on other shows. I know this has been discussed before with TNN's viewings of Trek. But, this is nonsense. Does anyone know if CSI will be on any other channels besides TNN?? I am hoping it will be like ER that is on a few different channels in syndication.
    Here is a link to tnn comment page. I urge all of the membeship to complain about the bar. Remember if it is allowed on TNN. The other stations will start doing it all the time also. http://www.thenewtnn.com/mail_form.jhtml
    ps-Their sure are a lot of abbreviated titles (ie-CSI,TNN, TNG,ER, etc). [​IMG]

2. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

Done...this annoys the hell out of me as well. As if station bugs weren't bad enough...

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Done. I told them that I do not watch their channel any more (even TNG re-runs [​IMG] ) because of that damn bar.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It may be in once a week syndication on broadcast networks

Hopefully TNN will finally REALLY realize that if they want to dump their original audience of inbred hicks, they can't chase away these new customers by squishing their shows.

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I have found a suitable solution to watching TNN. I watch it on my computer with my Video/TV capture card, and just use the full-screen mode, turning off the aspect ratio lock, and hilighting only the important picture area, wich becomes zoomed and gets rid of the bottom bar, and expands the vertical portion so the picture looks normal again!

This also works great on "Boxed channels like CTV Newsnet, MSNBC, and other channels that shrink the picture and fill the rest with news/weather/ads/stocks and stats!

*just flipped to TNN and WWF is on (:b), and the black bars are strangely absent!! Is this because the program is a TNN exclusive??

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But, Keith, that you're having to do this at all! Wouldn't it be nice to return to the stress-free days of station-bugless television?

That's one reason why the Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD boxsets are such a relief: pristine picture, terrific sound--and no damn TNN message bar/station logo and compressed image.

The hell with TNN. Let them continue to cater to the audience Jeff Kleist so accurate identifies: inbred hicks.

7. Jeff Kleist

Do you really think Vince McMahon would allow them to black bar his show? TNN need him a lot more than he needs them.

8. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link Todd. I just sent an email voicing my concerns regarding the black bar. Until it is removed, no TNN for me.

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Keith, on some shows they don't have the black bar. Basically, they know that people hate it, so for the high-profile programming they don't use it.

/Mike

10. Michael St. Clair

Squeezing then unsqueezing an image is going to add artifacts. Not to mention whatever time compression and editing that they'll do to the show to add commercials.

Better off getting the import DVD boxsets and a region-free player.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am shocked that they were able to get CSI. Hopefully, they will not put the bar on this show.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jason, sorry, but the station could not have been more stereotypical. Country music, tractor pulls, Dukes of Hazzard (OK, I LIKE Dukes of Hazzard), rodeos etc.

TNN went from bad to worse, at least back then they had Dukes w/o the black bar

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have never watched CSI. When does TNN start airing it? If they don't have the bar on it, I think I'm gonna watch it, it seems like a good show.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ahh, The Jeff'n'Jason Show, our own little acre of TNN paradise!
    In this particular match, I'm placing my money on Jeff--I think he has the TNN demographic read pretty well. Perhaps Jason's grandparents are the exception to the rule? Jason himself notwithstanding, I am sure his granparents are nice people! [​IMG]

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor