What's new

CSI: Season One - Box and Disc Art (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Since I can (but don't) watch this in 16x9 HD upon first broadcast, what would convince me to buy chopped DVDs?

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe that Paramount have decided to release this in 4:3.Hopefully they will take notice of our disappointment at this and release the second season in 16:9.The exact same thing happened here in the u.k. when Fox released the first season of Angel in 4:3.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
As good as an anamorphic widescreen transfer of CSI would look, It's not gonna touch watching CSI in high definition. Yet another reason to buy into DVHS!
Took the words right out of my mouth! CSI is a perfect example of why we need High Definition recorders, such as JVC's D-Theater unit.

The fact CSI is apparently going to be released on DVD as a fullscreen transfer only bolsters this argument.

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
This is infuriating! :angry:
I'd been really looking forward to this set, but why should I settle for 4x3 fullscreen when a 16x9 anamorphic version not only exists, but is regularly broadcast?
The X-Files, Stargate SG-1, The Sopranos... all these shows are treated correctly on DVD - why not this one?
Patrick, do you happen to have contact details for the company responsible?
I plan to express in the strongest possible terms my disgust at this move, and my intent not to buy the series until it's offered in the optimum format.
David

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Off Topic, but the Buffytastic side of me had to jump in...
The exact same thing happened here in the u.k. when Fox released the first season of Angel in 4:3.
I own both Angel releases and all the Buffy UK releases and Angel being 4:3 wasnt Fox's fault. Wide screen masters of Season 1 don't exist according to Mutant Enemy, so theres no way they could ever appear on DVD. When Angel S1 comes to the US (this February?) it will be the same way.
About a year ago (when Angel s2 was released in the UK) the R2 Project had an article about it (www.r2-dvd.org).
As for CSI, I just jumped on the show this year, and since these DVDs are gonna be 4:3 I'll probably just rent them so I can say I've seen the episodes.
JQ

Rob T

Screenwriter
Damn!
this would have been such a great show to have in 16:9 too. :frowning:
oh well. Maybe it'll change before they're released.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
After watching the HD episodes and then re-watching them with the wife on the ReplayTV (in 4:3), I can say this show is totally framed for 16:9 and not just 'protected' for it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
full screen ??.. well thats a bummer and no sale as far as im concerned. I will suffer with the vhs copies before i shell out money for full screen dvd's. Too bad i was looking forward to these hopefully they will change there mind.

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
Posted on the UK DVD Forums...

"
I've just been on the phone to Momentum, raising the question about the lack of a widescreen release for CSI on DVD.

They reported that CSI's second season is due for a UK release in February, and that it will be presented in its widescreen format!

However, Momentum insist that widescreen versions of the first season episodes don't exist, and that it's never been broadcast that way, claiming to have looked into the possibility.

This is despite numerous verifications from American viewers that the first season was broadcast in widescreen on HD-TV, and that widescreen versions of the episode are circulating on the net.

Momentum reports that the domestic US release of S1 used their masters, so it looks like S2 will also be widescreen in America.

Desk
"

Rob T

Screenwriter
Anybody know if this full season set will be released in Canada, too?
or does Alliance Atlantis hold all the home video rights to it up here?
I asked Gord and he isn't too sure.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was all set to buy the UK release until I cancelled the order after FS announcement. Once again, I will not be purchasing the US or Canadian release unless they are WS Enhanced. I have seen the show in HD and still do, I don't understand why Paramount would make such a foolish business decision.

I will purchase another harddrive instead of the eventual Season 2 set, unless Season 1 is released in WS and I will not purchase the Season 1 set either. It may cost twice as much to me, but I'll have better than DVD quality and the original WS presentations.

No Enhanced WS CSI season 1 release = No SALE on seasons 1->X!!

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I also saw the CSI: First Season coverart at DVDPlanet...but still no release date. I'd rather they push the release date back and RELEASE THIS IN WIDESCREEN!!!!!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
As much as i love CSI if its not priced along the lines of say the NYPD Blue set i will have to pass. I cannot justify x-files/star trek prices especially when it is full screen when hi-def is available.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Season 2 of CSI has just been certified by the BBFC and is in widescreen. I would expect Season 2 in the US to be widescreen 2.

I'm sure season 1 was released 4:3 format at the creator's request.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Season 2 of CSI has just been certified by the BBFC and is in widescreen. I would expect Season 2 in the US to be widescreen 2.
That's good, at least non "regionally-challenged" people like myself will be able to get a WS set from somewhere in the world, but I wouldn't be so sure about R1 getting a WS set as well. Dark Angel was widescreen in Australia and Europe but pan&scammed for R1.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Just finished watching Disc 1.

We get it standard OTAir mono here.

The DVDs allow me to catch up with it in nice colour and stereo - big diff!

Never seen it 16x9, so 4x3 doesn't bother me as much.

Compression is great!

get it if you haven't seen it, or can't otherwise.

Sound is pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks