What's new

CSI Season 1 Re-release?! (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

There is no on screen menu item for closed captioning on my S4 (R1) set, which I happen to be going through on my laptop this week, and when I right click on the screen the subtitles/captions option in PowerDVD is greyed-out. When hit the "mute" button I get nothing. So where are the captions and what am I missing? I realize that all the season were captioned for broadcast and can see that watching the reruns on SpikeTV. But I can't find said captions on the discs.

Regards,

Joe

Corey_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've been checking out TSoD everyday and haven't heard any more news. Really hope to hear about the release date and aspect ratio soon, the suspense is killing me. Also I am wondering when we are going to hear about the release of the current seasons of each CSI show too.

Corey

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was HOPING that Season One re-release would come out in time for this season's finale. And then Season Five would come out around when Season Six starts airing in the fall. But the closer we get to May without an announcement makes me think the Season One re-release will be later this year rather than sooner.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm hoping for an answer to my subtitles/captions question - because they sure don't seem to be on my discs, unless I'm just being real stupid lately. (Always a possibility. :))

Joe

Roger_R

Second Unit
Closed captions are rendered by the TV or some box you connect to the TV. That's why you can't turn them on in the menus like regular subtitles. I haven't used PowerDVD, but WinDVD has a button in one of its menus you can click to turn on closed captions. Maybe PowerDVD has something similar? I wish they put subtitles as well on DVDs since we don't have closed captions in Europe.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
PowerDVD does have subtitles as one of the options in the menu and I've watched both subtitles and closed captioning from other sets on my PC using this sofware. I just tossed disc 1 from S4 into my a stand-alone DVD player connected to my big screen TV, started episode one, hit the mute button and there are no closed captions on this disc. Or am I nuts?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Assuming the disc does have captions, you have to activate the captions on your TV (NOT on any menu on the DVD). The mute button does not activate the captions. You need to go to the TV's menu screen and activate the captions there. If this is what you've already tried, I apologize.:)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

It does on my TV*, by default, on every broadcast, cable, VHS, laserdisc, DVD and every other input I have ever watched that had closed captions embedded except these discs. Ditto the ability to access the captions via the menus in PowerDVD, an option which in this case is disabled in the menu. (I was referring to menus in the software I use to watch DVDs on my laptop, not menus on the DVD itself.) I therefore suggest that there is something non-standard and frankly defective in the way these discs were mastered.

Regards,

Joe

(* With whose operation, strangely enough, I tend to be much more familiar than are utter strangers who have never used it. ;) )

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I can't speak to the operation of your TV, Joe... but I can tell you that the captions work perfectly on my Toshiba DVD decoder, Sony TV decoder and Apple DVD Player decoder. Not a single hitch.

-Scott

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
David Lambert - I think it was a joke, referring to my screencap of the captioning (end page one of this thread), which references a character named David, and urges him to be careful.

:D

-Scott

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Yep my tv, on the remote there's a CC button, I just push that for Closed Captioning, I don't have to push anything on any disc for any DVDs I play :)

I think it's that way for alot of televisions, I've never heard of hitting the mute button to activate captions, that must be a new feature on televisions.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
Auto-caption during mute is a default of some brands. I know my kitchen Panasonic has that feature on it. None of my other sets do, although most of them are hooked up through surround systems, so I don't often use the television volume controls anyway.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Neither do I when watching on a DVD player connected to my television. I was referring to playback on my laptop. My TV, since it does go to CC by default when you hit the "mute" button - except on the CSI discs - doesn't have a CC button. You have to go digging around in the menus to turn the feature on, ditto to turn it off, which is annoying because I don't have a button for accessing the TV menu on the remote that I generally use. So this is a bit of a pain, and I wish they had encoded the disc the way most other discs are done, which easily allow me to access the captions on my laptop and my TV without jumping through hoops.

Regards,

Joe

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on a re-release date for CSI Season 1 with the new extras? Any word on if the re-release will change to a widescreen format?

It's coming up on 3 months since the original tease from TV Guide.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
We've been waiting about 4 1/2 months since the first news slipped. Any further news? Any idea what CBS may be waiting for? Looks like it would be better to get the re-release out now, instead of waiting for a time when all 3 series are releasing the current seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks