What's new

CSI Season 1 Re-release?! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Let's hope this is to correct the OAR. I started a petition for a widescreen version of CSI (probably a bit to late into the release schedule for Season 1) - but I will buy it for that reason only. I will not however buy subsequent SEs of season.

God knows we don't need to double dips on TV Shows.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
It would be very hard to believe that as long as they're doing a re-release that they wouldn't go back and fix the OAR problem, which was loudly criticized by fans. If they release it in widescreen as they should have in the first place, I'll definitely buy this again. You hear that, Paramount? I will spend my money AGAIN if you do it right this time.

EDIT: But don't test me on future releases -- purposely wrong the first time so you can squeeze some more money out the 2nd time around. Not good.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'll buy it again if it is widescreen and if they can throw in a few more extras. (And can we, for pity's sake, get some frickin' closed captioning or subtitles going on this show? A major plot thread for S3 was Grissom's hearing problem and it is just embarassing that this feature was totally omitted. As it happens I don't personaly need this feature, but I know people who do, and I do like to turn the subtitles on to follow the dialogue when listening to commentary tracks. Not being able to do so with CSI has been very annoying.)

Regards,

Joe

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Geez...I never figured they'd re-visit CSI Season One so soon. I doubt I can rationalize a double-dip in widescreen since I've got the full-screen.

I thought the studio, at the time of release, said Season One was not available in Widescreen since it had never been broadcast that way.

What-to-do...what-to-do...

Rod*Mal

Auditioning
I havent bought any of the dvds and Im not big on all the terms but am just curious...

Was the series filmed in a widscreen format?

Because lots of companies that release movies just slap on the black bars on top of the movie (if it was only filmed in fullscreen) just so they can say it's in widescreen. And if they do that you will not be seeing what the director fully intended you to see... This has been done with various movies such as Evil Dead and more of the earlier movies.

I know this may seem out of place but I just don't like the idea of a studio chopping up movies or series' in order to make an extra buck...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm certain from Season 2 and on CSI was shot in high-def 16:9. A number of TV shows actually are being shot in widescreen for high-def purposes.

I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that Season one of CSI wasn't. I'm sure somebody will answer my question.

But, Rod, you are correct in that there have been a couple of occurences where studios have tried to turn original full-screen material into wide-screen. The first example I can think of is Season One of Kung Fu.

Corey_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The only way I'd double dip is if they were to go to a widescreen version and hopefully 5.1 sound. Widescreen alone would make it a definite double dip, but it would be great if they did both. Granted, none of these are confirmed, the only thing that is, is the deleted scene. Let's hope they do it right. Just looks weird to see season one full screen and 2.0 sound and the rest widescreen and 5.1 sound.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Season One was shot in High Def - apprently the producers prefered the full screen versions. But I think all that's gonna change with this new re-release. I forgot about the 5.1 - I would except that as well.

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
For me widescreen also would be the only incentive to buy that season again (and even then I'm not sure I will).
I just hope that they're not starting a trend with this release.

If it sells well, companies like Paramount who release their shows without any features might rerelease their newer product library as well, this time with features. I would then strongly consider not picking up shows like "Charmed" (feature free although material surely exists) when they're intitally released.

I think what they're doing on the movie-segment of the DVD market (countless versions of some movies) has made many people cautious of buying the initial release knowing something better is already being planned. That's what I liked about the TV on DVD market. All releases were "definitive" versions of the shows and you could be pretty sure you won't be sorry having bought the set down the road.

Scott-L

Agent
If the picture quality were improved to make it consistent with the other CSI sets as well as being put in widescreen, I'd probably pick it up.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick it up for the simple reason that I have the R2 version of Series 1. And in R2, the first series didn't have the Who's title music due to a contractual reason (like Pete Townsend has no reason to court good publicity ...). The prospect of widescreen *and* the proper music is enough incentive for me to double dip.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
What's the story with the closed captioning on all the CSI seasons? I will not buy season one if it doesn't have it.

I don't need it either, but there's so much inaudible dialog that shows up in captioning, I now use it for everything. It's also great for all the medical terms. The show was captioned and the AR doesn't matter, that's what line 21 captioning is--it's at the same place on the screen whether the picture is 16:9 or not.

I was just about to buy some of the subsequent CSI seasons but won't if they aren't captioned (I can tape them off TV with captions, fer crying out loud!). I was just about to rent the shows, but won't if they're not captioned.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
As long as one or the other is on the disc I dont care (though I prefer CC as it seems to be more accurate than subtitling). As some one who has bad hearing, I use CC more often. For instance I was watching Casablanca with subtitles by chance the other day, and there were no words during when Sam was singing, so I switched back to CC and there were the words. Any clue why they wouldn't subtitle the words in this instance?

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If this is Widescreen they have my money for Seasons 1 - 5+ as I've said before. If not, they'll get nothing.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Just as I'm finishing Season One in Full Screen we get news about a re-release. If it's widescreen though, I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks