CSI R2 dumps The Who theme music!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lone Wolf, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Stunt Coordinator

My partner is a big fan of CSI and pre-ordered the R2 3 disc set featuring the first 12 episodes from series 1. Nice packaging and all but when we went to play the pilot episode, the theme music has been replaced by some kind of bad elevator music! The music used in the broadcast version of course is 'Who Are You' by The Who. We checked the opening credits on 3 other episodes. All featured this other abomination. The irony is, is that it is still listed as The Who and 'Who Are You' in the closing credits.

What the hell is going on? My partner is supremely pissed and I don't blame her. I suggested waiting for the R1 widescreen version, but with syndication issues this could take a long time, which is why she went R2 in the meantime. Anybody have any answers as to why this change would have taken place. Is it a licensing issue? The cover artwork does not mention anywhere that the theme music has been rescored. Very misleading. So be warned any potential buyers.

Any information or theories would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johnny B.

2. David Lawrence

David Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

I too would guess that it is due to licensing issues; the song was featured in the credits when it aired here on TV, so I would imagine that it's simply that Momentum didn't get the rights to the song.

Lack of OAR and now an altered soundtrack is easily enough to put me off buying this set.

3. Johnny_T

Johnny_T Auditioning

I noticed your point about The Who theme music being omitted.
    But did you notice if the episodes were cut?
    I watched the first two episodes last night which was the pilot episode and it seemed like it was cut badly.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but in the first episode where the man is found dead in the bathtub, they never solve this crime!
    But in this dvd episode, he's ignored completely.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
    John

4. David Lawrence

David Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

I can't confirm that the episodes aren't cut, but the sequence you've described regarding Milander
    is actually from a later S1 episode; they don't solve the "bathtub" murder in the pilot.
    As such you might want to edit your post to put block out the spoilers [​IMG]