CSI - Pilot episode now available in UK!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianK, May 8, 2002.

1. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

As some of you may know, UK label Momentum Pictures are releasing a box set of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation on DVD later this month.
    You can read more about their plans in this thread:
    Uuggghhh!!! CSI to come out on dvd..For R2 only!
    However, the first episode is available now, on the coverdisc of the latest issue of Total DVD magazine (the June 2002 issue, with Nastasha Henstridge on the cover). You can visit the magazine's website here:
    Total DVD Magazine
    Fans might like to note that the presentation on this disc may well be much better than the one that will appear on the box set, since it probably won't be as compressed as the 4 episodes that will be on each of the box set discs. Since the magazine will only be available for a relatively short time, this disc looks set to become a collector's item!

2. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Is this magazine available in the US?

3. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I swung by Barnes and Noble tonight, they had it, but not the edition in question. They had the may edition.

The pilot episode is the only episode of CSI I havent seen.

-- Matt

4. Michael St. Clair

Anamorphic 16:9 I would hope.

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Oh, I can dream. I appear to be the only HTFer who loves the show (based on the total lack or response to my threads in the TV forum).

6. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I love the show, been with it since episode 2. And I put out the word of mouth to all my friends early on, and they have all thanked me in return.

I'll try to post more in your thread from now often Alex.

-- Matt

7. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

I’d imagine (as with most cover mounted CDs/DVDs) that it wouldn’t be available outside of the country of origin.

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Alex,
    I love the show also. It is very frustrating to hear it is being released in the UK in season box sets. But, now that I have a dvd recorder I will make my own. But, I will still be missing most of the episodes. The good news is that this fall it will be on in syndication. The bad news is that it will be on TNN. Which puts that stupid advertising bar at the bottom. [​IMG]
    Why can't they release the show here too? The syndication excuse is ridiculous. Their will always be people who will buy shows even if they are on all of the time. And their will always be people who will never buy a show, but only watch it on tv.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'm surprised that it has hit syndication so soon. If that is the case, perhaps they might think about season sets for North America as well.
    Also, I think they've been 16:9 since day one, although our over the air non-HD presentations have largely been either letterboxed or 4:3. I wonder if it has been open matte or panned and scanned. I seem to remember that there didn't seem to be a lot of extraneous frame space, so I would expect that it was zoomed or p&s'd.
    Glad to see some more fans. [​IMG]

10. Antony Jackson

Antony Jackson Auditioning

I have got the DVD as I wanted the magazine for a friend in the US, but he has no use for the disc.

First person to mail me AND confirm they can view a region 2 disc can have it for free :b

I love the show and watch it in the UK, but do not collect this type of show.

11. Antony Jackson

Antony Jackson Auditioning

We have a winner, so no more emails please!!
    Bryan Toth - I await you details [​IMG]

12. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Bad news. I'm afraid the Total DVD demo disc has Episode 1 in 4:3 with 2-channel sound. Looking at the composition, I'd say that it is not open matte.

13. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

Well, thanks to Antony, I've got my copy of the CSI pilot episode on DVD. ChristopherM is correct -- it is in 4:3 (I believe the set they're releasing is supposed to be 16:9 -- I guess they don't want to give everything away for free! [​IMG] )
    The quality isn't exactly reference material, but it looks pretty good for a TV show... better than it looked on cable, but hopefully not as good as it'll look in full 16:9 anamorphic!
    btw, I noticed that there's a different theme song over the opening credits ......I can't recall if the first episode just had a different song in there or maybe it's always like that on the UK version ... (maybe a rights issue??) anybody from the UK know???
    Anyway, thanks to Antony for his generousity....I never turn down a free DVD! (especially of one of my favorite shows! [​IMG] )
    Bryan

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I still am hoping it comes out here (R1). I am pissed that it is going to be on the stupid black bar bottomed TNN.

15. David Brent

David Brent Stunt Coordinator

I sincerely hope that the UK DVD set is in 16x9 anamorphic widescreen, as it was filmed.

However, the fact that the pilot on the magazine cover disc is in full screen suggests it won't be. I mean, how likely is it that they've prepared both a full screen and 16x9 version of the pilot?

Nevertheless, here's hoping it is widescreen, otherwise I'm facing a long wait for the eventual US releases.

BTW, what's the music that plays over the title credits in the US version? Over here in the UK it's always been "Who are you?" by The Who.

D.

16. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve

17. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

I guess the pilot episode just had different music.... (or maybe the they couldn't get the rights for the promo disc??).... anyway, I was just curious....

Bryan

18. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator