CSI or 24?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Blu, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm off this week and am going to get a boxed set tomorrow to watch while I'm working on editing a local feature film I've worked on the past couple of months.

So I know that I want one of these two series and in time will wind up with both of them. Locally the stores have both seasons of 24 but only the second season of CSI.

My question then is do I get CSI and watch it without seeing the first season, I do not know if it is a season to season arc or not and if S2 will spoil S1 or not.

OR

Do I get S1 of 24 knowing if I like it I can go back and get S2?

Thanks for all opinions!!!!

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

From what I can tell, CSI is pretty much unserialized. I gather there were some recurring "character stories" in its second season, but nothing that referenced the first season. That's part of the reason why CBS can use it as schedule filler the same way NBC uses Law & Order.

24, on the other hand, is thoroughly serial, although each season is more-or-less self-contained, with any back-referencing necessary done within the season.

3. mckenzig

mckenzig Extra

24 is one of the best TV on DVD titles out there. It's almost guaranteed that you'll love it. CSI doesn't pack anywhere near the excitement that 24 does.
    Cheers,
    Grant

4. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

I disagree entirely. For me, CSI is just about the best thing on TV these days and there's a reason why it's the #1 show out there. However, to get the most out of it, I would watch Season 1 first because it really establishes the characters and gives you some insight into what happens in future episodes. Some episodes are fairly stand-alone, but others aren't so it helps to know the background.

5. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

While both are good, I would recommend 24 over CSI. It is one of the greatest TV shows ever. However, if you are planning on watching something while trying to get some work done, you better not get 24 yet. You will be so drawn in, you won't get anything done.

6. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

I thoroughly enjoy both shows. People who have never seen 24 before must start with Season 1, no questions asked! Seasons 2 and 3 of 24 could be seen independently, but you'll get more out of it by starting at the beginning. (Chad is right, though, that 24 is so addictive that you'll want to watch "just one more episode" before going back to work! I find CSI addictive as well, but since each episode is self-contained, you may not have as much trouble getting back to work.)

CSI is not serialized, although little plot details relating to the CSI agents develop through the series, or a case in one season may reference or "continue" a case from a previous season. I've seen a number of episodes on TV, and thoroughly enjoy them, but it's great to have the DVDs and go season by season.

7. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

They are both excellent shows, though they are quite different shows.

I never saw CSI until I wrote the review for season 2 here at HTF... so I can say you'll have no problem jumping in at S2. I went and purchased S1 after viewing S2. While both seasons are good, I think S2 is the better show - and it is definitely the better DVD package (anamorphic picture).

24 is a great show, and works spectacularly on DVD. I only have S1 of 24, and my biggest complaint is the lack of chapter stops. Other than that, it's a good package on DVD, with decent (if sometimes grainy) picture. Extras are very limited.

-Scott

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I enjoy CSI more as I always tend to forget to watch an episode... If it was 24, i'd probably be confused as to what the hell was happening...

I also like just throwing an episode on and watching it, whcih would be easier with CSI tahn with 24 to watch...

9. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Definately 24. I've been watching since it first aired and have picked up both seasons of 24 on DVD. I've lent the 1st season box set to 6 of my friends that had never caught the show on television and they've all become totally hooked.

I rented CSI from Netflix and stopped after disc 2. Not a bad show, just didn't hook me like others have.

My $.02 worth. [​IMG]

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

24 no contest,however be raedy to watch 8-12 episodes at once as you won't wanna quit.Don't say we didn't warn you!
    [​IMG]

11. andrew markworthy

24 is fine, but at the end of the day it's just another serial - what grabs people is the novelty of a 'real time' time frame. Don't get me wrong - it's worth seeing. However, I don't think it's all that special.

CSI is arguably better as a long-term view. You can watch the episodes pretty much in any order and they do merit repeated viewings. CSI is a rare thing these days - a police show that's actually plot driven and relies on people using their intelligence to get results, rather than dwelling on police corruption, miserable home lives, etc.

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The "real-time" aspect of the show isn't what grabs me. It's the fact that 24 is the best crafted action show I've ever seen coupled with many great characters. The "real-time" is what draws you in...the story is what keeps you in your seat.

That being said, CSI is great too. I only choose 24 based on personal taste. They're both great picks.

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Without a doubt....

Don't think twice.....

Trust what I am telling you.....

24 is the way to go!

Don't watch Season 2 before Season 1.

Prepared to be ADDICTED!

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

What, has Law & Order not made it over to the UK? Most cop shows in the US nowadays are procedurals rather than station-house dramas. And, honestly, from what I've seen, CSI is one of the less compelling procedurals on today, behind the three Law & Order series, Without A Trace, and Cold Case.

Not that CSI is a bad show (it's just amusing to watch crime-lab techs interviewing suspects like they're real cops), but I find that comment odd, considering how much the pendulum has swung toward the procedural over the last few years.

15. nicholas_g

nicholas_g Stunt Coordinator

I prefer CSI a lot more than 24. I didn't really like the frst season of 24, but the second was better.

I can always rewatch CSI over again ana again. I prefer the orginal Las Vegas one to the Miami version (I like the Grissom character), but I can watch either one.

BTW, Law and Order has been on Channel 5 in the UK for a couple of years now. I don't really like it that much.

16. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I enjoy CSI first time round, but watching repeats bore me.
    On the other hand, I have watched 24 several times, and still enjoy it.

So my vote for 24, on repeat viewing value.

17. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Take advantage of a SUPER HOT DEAL at Costco right now and get both Seasons of 24 for the price of 1 season of CSI.

CLICK HERE

You can get 24 Season and Season 2 for $25 each. They are $39.99 with a $15 instant coupon.

There are many other FOX TV Sets on this same special right now -- Check out the coupons and bargains section for more info.

BTW I would choose 24 for sure. Gripping, fun, addictive and very watchable!! I love CSI but I think 24 is better the FIRST TIME around. CSI IMHO is better for "Rewatchability" IMHO.

Greg

18. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

24 it is then.
    I shall start watching very soon and report back!

19. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

CSI is a very good show. 24 is THE show this decade will be remembered for. 24 all the way. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Blu - Hope you enjoy it.