What's new

CSI: NY ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think it's in trouble for me because I usually start surfing the web and have the show in the background in HD, and just sort of catch glimpses of the show as I surf and listen to it. The show just isn't grabbing my attention at the moment. I find that I don't care too much about the CSIs in NY. The shower scene seemed gratuitous. But I'll watch the episode and pay a little more attention to it over the weekend.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
I was very distracted by the "laser-like" flash of red light every once in a while. Had too many "Tony Scott" whip cam shots too...

Seems they've turned down the Gotham Bleu tinting too

Not impressed so far...still prefer the original

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I had high hopes for this show, and am a huge fan of Sinise, but he has nothing to do here, and his charcater is not compelling at all.

Also, other than the Detective, there is no NY authenticity here, we know its NY becuase they are flashing the landmarks and central park in your face. But the cast that was selected has no NY attitude or style at all, very generic.

I am extremely dissapointed.

CBS blew it.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
The only hope for another CSI was Sinise. This show however cannot survive based soley on a great actor in a dull role. Have tried twice now to stay through an epsiode and can't make it.

I am afraid that the CSI theme is overdone and I still only find the original entertaining due to a good cast, less reliance on jazzy F/X and a great lead in Grissom.

D

DAN NEIR

I think some of you may be a little quick to pan the show, it's only been 2 episodes. I can remember several shows where it took more than one season(Star Trek TNG and DS9 for example) for me to get into the show. Prior to this season I never watched any of the CSI shows and decided to get into them now. The first show I saw was the Miami premiere, then NY. I've been catching the reruns of CSI on Spike TV and I've seen the 2 episodes for this season. I would have to say just based on the little I've seen that the original is the best but after that based on the 2 episodes each of the spinoffs that I've seen, I've liked NY better than Miami.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I think this episode was a lot better. The rapist-with-no-DNA was a fresh angle, and it shows they will be handling cases other than the murder of the week.

Just because it's set in NYC, where people come from all over the world, do you want the characters to be NY stereotypes? Maybe Sinise should wear a Yankees cap and use a Brooklyn accent.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The original CSI was great from episode #1. Which has set the bar much higher for the spinoffs.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'm no expert but I found it hard to believe that the woman victim didn't get any of her attacker's DNA. Especially since Stella told the dad that she fought hard. They even showed them taking fingernail scrapings. The other thing that bugged me is that the attacker didn't have any signs of a fight if the struggle was that epic.

I normally try to give new shows about half a season to get going before I bail. Melina and Gary are enough for me to hang on a bit to find their niche. For me, the stories/plots are the weak points so far, not the actors (unlike Rodriguez and Caruso in Miami).

I also agree that they lightened up the blue/gray tint but I still think it's too much. Makes everyone look pasty and too dull.

Don Black

Screenwriter
The toning down of the tint and the de-emphasis of weird architecture definitely made this episode better than the pilot imho. The "who ratted me out" line was a littly corny though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
quote:I'm no expert but I found it hard to believe that the woman victim didn't get any of her attacker's DNA. Especially since Stella told the dad that she fought hard. They even showed them taking fingernail scrapings. The other thing that bugged me is that the attacker didn't have any signs of a fight if the struggle was that epic.

Yep, that was the big continuity gaffe that ruined the episode for me, too. They made such a big deal out of close-ups on the scrapings, and the speech to the victim's father, yet no evidence was apparently obtained and the attacker had no wounds/bruises at all despite the victim's "wildcat" struggles.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> The "who ratted me out" line was a littly corny though.

The original CSI used an almost identical joke, as well as plenty of other corny puns. It's like Grissom's way of saying "start the Who song".

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
quote:Just because it's set in NYC, where people come from all over the world, do you want the characters to be NY stereotypes? Maybe Sinise should wear a Yankees cap and use a Brooklyn accent.

Didn't they allude to Sinise's character being from Chicago?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Not bad not bad.

Yeah, the rat line was corny...but the corny crack has a history in CSI shows.
smile.gif

Count me in as another viewer who thought the no-DNA thing was interesting, but what about the nail-scrapings? Why didn't the rapist have defensive wounds after the tremendous fight the victim put up. Yeah, that part kinda annoyed me as well.

I'm still in for the haul. Too early to judge the characters yet. I still like Sinise better than Caruso though. :D

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i'm no expert either, but don't they get DNA from a mouth swab? then why can't there be DNA in a semen sample, even if there is no sperm? there's still other fluids.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think this is the weakest CSI yet,and a complete waste of Sinise's talent, who pretty much sleepwalks through the whole show[episode 2].I give it a few more episode and if it won't improve for me,will remove it from my Replat tv shows.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Besides the no-DNA plothole, this week's episode pissed me off for a lame plot device that's used almost weekly on CSI: Miami.

It's the one where the case is cracked because part of a plant --- pollen, leaf, whatever --- is found on the victim, and it turns out that the plant only grows in one specific location. With a couple of clicks of the mouse the CSI team even manages to find a 3D fly-over map from some bizarro-world computer database that points right to where that plant can be found.

Keep your eyes open for it. You'll see what I mean.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
11/10/04

How'd everybody like the ending of tonight's show? From severed limbs and plastic bags to the death of Arafat.

Brilliant move, CBS!

(I'm assuming this happened everywhere)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Fu*ckin' CBS News!
furious.gif

The man's been at death's door for days. Like it would have made any difference at all to wait another five minutes.

thumbsdown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks