What's new

CSI:NY and Vegas cancelled by CBS (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
This stinks. My wife and I both enjoyed watching Vegas. Not surprised though.Golden Boy was also cancelled by CBS.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No big shocks with any of these. I was a big CSI: NY fan for about five years, but I gradually lost my taste for all of the CSI shows.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
todd s said:
This stinks. My wife and I both enjoyed watching Vegas. Not surprised though.Golden Boy was also cancelled by CBS.
todd s said:
Totally expected months ago about those shows, but was holding out small hope for Vegas. I think one problem is what most articles have said, which is this would be a great show for cable where they can have more of an edge. But, network TV is limited and comes across as a more watered down version of a show that others have done on cable, such as Magic City.

I liked most of the actors in Vegas, it's a shame but not surprising.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll miss Vegas, but I'm not terribly surprised by any of the announcements. Jason O'Mara, when are you going to get a series that sticks?

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
What's so funny is that ABC, Fox, and NBC would LOVE to have failures like Vegas and CSI: NY. Their ratings eclipse most of the dramatic output on all of those networks.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Not surprised about CSI:NY, barely survived getting cancelled last year.

Never watched Vegas, just didn't appeal to me and I'd read so much negative stuff about it, figured it wasn't going to make it.

Golden Boy I enjoyed, but stopped watching about a month ago. The cancellation rumors were everywhere and I don't like to get attached to shows that I'm pretty sure won't make it (other than Terra Nova which I loved and thought would survive). Also enjoyed 666 Park Avenue, but it also got dumped.

Everything is pretty official now, I read the last decision is on Hannibal which I hope they gamble on and renew.

This is a list I copied from tvbythenumbers website.
Show Network Status 666 Park Avenue ABC Cancelled Body Of Proof ABC Cancelled Don't Trust The B---- in Apartment 23 ABC Cancelled Family Tools ABC Cancelled Happy Endings ABC Cancelled How To Live With Your Parents... ABC Cancelled Last Resort ABC Cancelled Malibu Country ABC Cancelled Private Practice ABC Final Season Finished Red Widow ABC Cancelled Zero Hour ABC Cancelled CSI: NY CBS Cancelled Golden Boy CBS Cancelled Made In Jersey CBS Cancelled Partners CBS Cancelled Rules of Engagement CBS Cancelled Vegas CBS Cancelled 90210 CW Canceled/Final Season Cult CW Cancelled Emily Owens, M.D. CW Cancelled Gossip Girl CW Final Season Finished Ben And Kate Fox Cancelled Cleveland Show, The Fox Cancelled Fringe Fox Final Season Finished The Mob Doctor Fox Cancelled Touch Fox Cancelled 1600 Penn NBC Cancelled 30 Rock NBC Final Season Finished Animal Practice NBC Cancelled Deception NBC Cancelled Do No Harm NBC Cancelled Go On NBC Cancelled Guys With Kids NBC Cancelled Office, The NBC Final Season Smash NBC Cancelled The New Normal NBC Cancelled Up All Night NBC Cancelled Whitney NBC Cancelled Hannibal NBC Castle ABC Renewed Grey's Anatomy ABC Renewed Last Man Standing ABC Renewed Middle, The ABC Renewed Modern Family ABC Renewed Nashville ABC Renewed Neighbors, The ABC Renewed Once Upon A Time ABC Renewed Revenge ABC Renewed Scandal ABC Renewed Suburgatory ABC Renewed 2 Broke Girls CBS Renewed Big Bang Theory, The CBS Renewed Blue Bloods CBS Renewed Criminal Minds CBS Renewed CSI CBS Renewed Elementary CBS Renewed Good Wife, The CBS Renewed Hawaii Five-0 CBS Renewed How I Met Your Mother CBS Renewed Mentalist, The CBS Renewed Mike & Molly CBS Renewed NCIS CBS Renewed NCIS: Los Angeles CBS Renewed Person Of Interest CBS Renewed Two and a Half Men CBS Renewed Arrow CW Renewed Beauty And The Beast CW Renewed Carrie Diaries, The CW Renewed Hart Of Dixie CW Renewed Nikita CW Renewed (Short Season) Supernatural CW Renewed Vampire Diaries, The CW Renewed American Dad Fox Renewed Bob's Burgers Fox Renewed Bones Fox Renewed Family Guy Fox Renewed Following, The Fox Renewed Glee Fox Renewed Mindy Project, The Fox Renewed New Girl Fox Renewed Raising Hope Fox Renewed The Simpsons Fox Renewed Chicago Fire NBC Renewed Community NBC Renewed Grimm NBC Renewed Law & Order: SVU NBC Renewed Parenthood NBC Renewed Parks & Recreation NBC Renewed Revolution NBC Renewed

-

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well that didn't turn out well.

Looked like an excel spreadsheet in my reply, then I posted it and all the formatting disappeared.

Sorry it's such a mess.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't feel Vegas missed anything by being on cable, but I don't need language/nudity/graphic violence. It turned out to be my favorite watch of the season. I suppose things were wrapped up decently, with only the Jack/Mia relationship left up in the air.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Matt Hough said:
What's so funny is that ABC, Fox, and NBC would LOVE to have failures like Vegas and CSI: NY. Their ratings eclipse most of the dramatic output on all of those networks.
Unless it was a CBS production, the other networks are free to pick up these shows. Doesn't happen very often, though CBS did it at least once:

JAG originally aired on NBC and was cancelled after one season. It was then picked up by CBS and became a huge success, running for nine additional seasons and spawning the spinoffs NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles, which are also huge hits for CBS.

NolanJ

Second Unit
I will miss Rules of Engagement. I thought that was a very funny show. Sad to see Vegas go as well. I'm thankful, at least, that it didn't end with a bunch of loose ends.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
They were talking about this in a news article. How the ratings for Vegas were pretty good for almost every channel except CBS.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Matt Hough said:
If that's true, then maybe one of them will pick up Vegas.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It does happen but rarely. Fact is, most networks are too prideful to take someone else's rejects even if the ratings were superior to the shows they were airing.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
It does happen but rarely. Fact is, most networks are too prideful to take someone else's rejects even if the ratings were superior to the shows they were airing.
Don't recall many, but "Cougartown" was pretty enjoyable this year on TBS. Didn't "Medium" also switch networks its last season?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Stan said:
Don't recall many, but "Cougartown" was pretty enjoyable this year on TBS. Didn't "Medium" also switch networks its last season?
It switched for its last two seasons, but it made sense to switch from NBC to CBS since CBS/Paramount produced the show, and it did better on CBS during those two years than it ever could have on the faltering NBC.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
?....and it did better on CBS during those two years than it ever could have on the faltering NBC.
That is not even close to being accurate.The fact is it did better on NBC in terms of total viewers then it ever did on CBS.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Patrick_S said:
That is not even close to being accurate.The fact is it did better on NBC in terms of total viewers then it ever did on CBS.
True. The lowest rated season on NBC was 8.3 million viewers (season 3). The two seasons on CBS were both about 7.8 million. But the difference may be that CBS achieved those ratings on Friday nights. NBC aired the series on Monday/Wednesday nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks