What's new

CSI FANS, how can we get S1 in 16x9!?! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
DVDfile today said in its news update today that it was CBS's decision to have the CSI DVD set released in 4:3. In the recent months, I’ve seen the effect that we, the DVD fans, can have on a release (ET, Back to the Future, etc).

I think we could do this with CSI, which is a show that I love, and ever since I've seen it in HighDef, I know experience won’t be the same in full screen. However; we only have about a month and a half before the set is released to make some noise.

I'm willing to start a petition to CBS to ask them to reconsider their stance on the aspect ratio of the set. However, I need help learning how to go about setting up something like this, so I’m asking the help of all you guys. And most importantly, I need you the fans of CSI, and DVD to help me sign it. I know we can make this change.

Who's with me?

- Paul

p.s. Does anyone know if SFU was originally filmed in 16x9 since the get go?

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Count me in as a "won't buy" 4:3. I've loved the show 16:9 high def. Can't see myself watching anything but 16:9.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Good luck with your petition, however I'm willing to bet these sets have already been/or are being pressed. I don't know how willing CBS is going to be to pony up for a seperate 16:9 set. (which would have to be released at a later date, that the average consumer wouldn't even be aware of)

Rob T

Screenwriter
The OAR of this show is really in the grey area.
I watched it in 4:3 so if that's how they want to release season 1 then that's fine with me. I'll be getting it.
If they had chosen to release it in 16x9 then that would also have been fine with me.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Count me in. I'm definitely not buying this set if its not in the same aspect ratio that I've been watching it in the last couple of years.

Chris S.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know how it was shot? If it was 4:3, then I would be fine with it. But if it was 16:9, then I would not.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's shot Super35, 16:9 frame is extracted from that, and then the 4:3 version is usually the center of the 16:9 frame

At the very least the first season of CSI was shot with both ratios in mind, and frankly I'm guessing that CBS in this case has more say than Paramount, and that they're certainly not going to pull the discs, they're done. Have you noticed that all releases around the world have been 4:3? Perhaps there's a reason.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Well according to DVDfile today, they didn't give one.

All I'm trying to do is let CBS know how we the fans feel. If season one is too late, then at least they'll know better in season two. However, this is becoming an ugly trait I've noticed. I picked up the first season on Six Feet Under this week, and it too was only in 4:3. However I know from reading American Cinemtorapher articles it was filmed protected for 16x9. So somethings happening here, and it'd be interesting to find out what, and at the least let them know that as fans of these shows we want the OAR.

Honestly, lets hope DVD doesn't become a pan and scan standard like VHS was.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Paul, that's my point

What if the producers of the show say "The first season was filmed 4:3 protected for 16:9 and we prefer it 4:3"?

Malcom in the Middle S1 is a recent example of that happening, they had so many funk high-def shots they felt the 16:9 version is way to compromised.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
That's a fair point.

However, it could also be a matter of CBS saying, 'Our general audience only has 4:3 TVs, lets release it like that'. And while that's also fair, if CBS goes to the trouble of simulcasting both the HighDef and Full screen version, certainly the customer should have the choice of picking from one of the two also. Sure, you could say High Def is designed as a wider format. However, if we are moving to standardize this technology, I think filmmakers should really start to treat the framing more seriously. In years to come, it’s going be the error filled ‘Malcolm in the Middle’ 16x9 episodes airing on TV, not the old 4:3 versions.

If a statement came from CBS, letting us know the producers wanted 4:3 because of these technical errors, I would completely understand and respect their decision. However, they said nothing of the sort. Which still gives us, the fans the freedom to ask and inquire?

Rob T

Screenwriter
Considering that season 2 will be in widescreen (at least that's what I hear), I think it was a decision from the creators.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Hmm, well I will regardless carry on with my petition, until we actually hear something from some one offically affilated with the show, so all these rumors and theories can be put to rest.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Don't bother with the R2 version (which came out last year) either - that's 1.33:1.

With respect, guys, I don't think this is in the same league as issuing a widescreen movie in pan and scam. A lot of recent TV productions have been composed with both conventional and widescreen TVs in mind. As a result, a lot of the extra visuals in a widescreen version tend to be peripheral details, since the central info is all there in the 1.33:1 segment (someone with way too much time on their hands will now no doubt produce screen shots to disporve this). Thus, the 1.33:1 version is not quite the piece of awfulness you might suspect.

I agree that widescreen is preferable, but this ain't the end of the world.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Season 2 has been classified on the BBFC as widescreen, so the second season in the UK will be widescreen (and I expect the same in America too)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I posted 16:9 screen shots of a season 1 ep. in the other CSI thread. A few them use the entire frame for composition (eg. exterior house shots, living room shot). If they extracted the 4:3 from the middle of the frame then they'd be lopping off characters and totally changing the composition of some shots. What I suspect they did for 4:3 was shoot full frame and matte for 16:9. We just need some screen shots of the 4:3 broadcast of 'Gentle, Gentle' to compare.

http://mail.wilsonfam.com/CSI/

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Perhaps some with the Canadian CSI DVD set can help us out with those screenshots, the first 12 episodes were released her already (in full, too).

Also some good news about the petition, davisdvd.com has posted the URL for the petition on their page, so hopefully will be getting more signatures. Many thanks to Patrick Mirza for helping get the word out. Also many thanks to all the people who have signed it already. If anything, CBS and Paramount will know our positions on future Season Sets of CSI (however, I still remain optimistic that something good might happen with Season One.)

CSI ON DVD IN WIDESCREEN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks