CS-Ultra Shipped! =)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nate_L, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Nate_L

Nate_L Auditioning

Forum,
    Just wanted to thank you all. Thanks to all of you, I ordered one (yes only one) CS-Ultra with the amp. It was sent out late tonight and I will be getting it by next week I am guessing. I cannot wait to test it out and will definitely let you all know what it is like to go from a 8" Kenwood Powered Subwoofer to SVS. My guess is it will be like driving a Taurus and then borrowing the keys to your Uncle's Bentley. No comparison whatsoever! =) Thanks again guys. You have made me feel great about spending my hard earned money online and I will definitely let you all know how good it sounds. As a sidenote, I talked to some guys at a Magnolia Hi-Fi and told them, before they consider Velodyne or M&K, check out SVS. They actually got onto one of the stores computers, checked it out, smiled and left the store. =)
    ~Nate I can't wait to feel my Ultra
    ------------------
    "At last we will have our revenge."

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Get ready for the steep tranistion between boomy subs and clean, flat subs. It can be unnerving at first.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Nate:
    Be ready to "rock and roll".
    **Warning. If you have a weak heart, having over pregnant people over or lots of breakable stuff close by then do not turn this sub up during passages of Toy Story II, The Professional, Gladiator or a number of other basshead DVDs. This is also discounting the numerous basshead CDs out there.**
    In other words. Enjoy!!
    Parker

4. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

I am so jealous. I only have to wait a couple more weeks before purchasing my own cs-ultra [​IMG]

5. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I'm pretty sure it was Ron S of SVS who recommended to me that I watch "Traffic" on my recently purchased 16-46. I rented it today and must pass along the suggestion. It's a flick you wouldn't expect deep bass from, but boy does it have it. Awesome movie to boot! Congrats on scoring a(n) Ultra!
    Pieter
    ------------------
    "Too late, I'm in the 40's, gotta go around the horn... it's faster!"
    BoomRoom

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

" Get ready for the steep tranistion between boomy subs and clean, flat subs. It can be unnerving at first."
    Hahahahaha, ain't that the truth Brian! Went from a JBL 10" mud box to a 20-39PC.. god i love it..
    - Chip
    ------------------

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Nate: Congratulations on your wise purchase!!!
    Soon, you will know what us Ultra owners already know... bass nirvana.... but before you crank her up, make sure your house is properly insured against structural failures. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

8. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I thought I'd chime in here. I ordered a 20-39PC on Sunday and I'm going through the "waiting for shipping period" now. I will be going from no sub to an SVS so it should indeed be interesting.

9. Curtis_Edwards

I am not to far behind. will be placing my order very soon.
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Curtis_Edwards on August 16, 2001 at 11:19 AM]

10. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Enjoy your new sub. Just don't watch the Fight Club with the volume too loud or someone might think your house is falling apart [​IMG] I love my 20-39PC and I've had it since May.
    Brian

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

[​IMG]
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"
    Not today!
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Lewis Besze on August 16, 2001 at 11:03 PM]

12. Curtis_Edwards

tom v. placed this on the avsforum.com. I thought you guys might find it useful.

13. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

My single CS-U arrived about an hour ago, and I'm going crazy deciding what to watch! [​IMG] Plus, the fiancee is out of town until Monday, so the house will REALLY be a-rocking.

14. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Geez, all these glowing reviews of SVS subs are really bad news for my wallet! I shouldn't be reading them! Which SVS sub(s) would I consider to improve on a DefTech PF15TL+?
    ------------------
    Scott

15. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Geez, all these glowing reviews of SVS subs are really bad news for my wallet! I shouldn't be reading them! Which SVS sub(s) would I consider to improve on a DefTech PF15TL+?

16. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Tom,
    I primarily use my hardware for HT (the mix is probably 90% HT/10% music) so most of my equipment decisions tend to focus on what will maximize my enjoyment of home theater.
    My current room is not huge - about 14' wide X 21' long X 10' high and it's not a dedicated HT room (though given the time I spend there, it should be!). However, at this point I'm starting to think about equipment not only for the current room, but also for a dedicated room as I will definitely have one in my next home which is in the near-future. Although nothing's definite as far as that room's dimensions, I'd like to stay away from the "multiples" problem I have with the current room dimensions and probably would shoot for something in the 15' X 23 range (give or take a few feet as I research ideal room dimensions in greater detail).
    As for my current DefTech subwoofer, it's an improvement over my previous sub which was an M&K (very old, can't even remember the model # anymore), but I'm still not thrilled with it's very-low-end performance. I don't know the technical term for my complaint - but when movie soundtracks such as Toy Story 2 go to very low frequencies, the thing gets very "rumbly" (sorry for the non-technical description). In other words, I feel like I lose a lot of LFE clarity. The bass output is strong - the floors definitely shake when they're supposed to - but I would like the LFE to not only be strong but very defined as well. Where there should be multiple, quick LFE, I feel like I get one long, rumbly-type of LFE output.
    BTW, in case this helps, the sub is in the front-right corner of the room, approx. 4 inches away from both the front and side walls.
    I'm running the following equipment:
    DefTech BP10Bs (front L/R)
    DefTech C1 (center channel)
    defTech BP2X (side surrounds)
    Yamaha DSP-A3090
    Monster Speaker Cable
    Monster M351 RCA Sub Cable
    Pioneer Elite DV-37 PS DVD Player
    Edit to initial email: Forgot to answer one of your questions, Tom. I generally watch movies/listen to music within 5-7 Db of reference level. Sometimes lower, though, depending on time of day as I'm always afraid of disturbing the neighbors (another reason to have a dedicated environment!). I try to watch movies as close to reference as possible. I try to calibrate my sub about equal to or a couple of Db higher than the rest of the speakers.
    I certainly appreciate any thoughts you may have!
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott
    [Edited last by Scott-C on August 18, 2001 at 06:10 PM]

17. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Tom,
    I primarily use my hardware for HT (the mix is probably 90% HT/10% music) so most of my equipment decisions tend to focus on what will maximize my enjoyment of home theater.
    My current room is not huge - about 14' wide X 21' long X 10' high and it's not a dedicated HT room (though given the time I spend there, it should be!). However, at this point I'm starting to think about equipment not only for the current room, but also for a dedicated room as I will definitely have one in my next home which is in the near-future. Although nothing's definite as far as that room's dimensions, I'd like to stay away from the "multiples" problem I have with the current room dimensions and probably would shoot for something in the 15' X 23 range (give or take a few feet as I research ideal room dimensions in greater detail).>>BTW, in case this helps, the sub is in the front-right corner of the room, approx. 4 inches away from both the front and side walls.
    I'm running the following equipment:
    DefTech BP10Bs (front L/R)
    DefTech C1 (center channel)
    defTech BP2X (side surrounds)
    Yamaha DSP-A3090
    Monster Speaker Cable
    Monster M351 RCA Sub Cable
    Pioneer Elite DV-37 PS DVD Player>>Edit to initial email: Forgot to answer one of your questions, Tom. I generally watch movies/listen to music within 5-7 Db of reference level. Sometimes lower, though, depending on time of day as I'm always afraid of disturbing the neighbors (another reason to have a dedicated environment!). I try to watch movies as close to reference as possible. I try to calibrate my sub about equal to or a couple of Db higher than the rest of the speakers.

18. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Tom,
    Thanks for the reply! I have a few more questions but don't want to take this thread too off-course, so if you don't mind I'm going to email you privately.
    ------------------
    Scott