Crystal Xbox

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mark Shannon, Nov 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Anyone else think this is a really cool special edition. Similar to the Green Transparent one they released a while back. It would be too easy to mod this by putting strategically placed LED's and whatnot inside the case.

*Darn, I just realised, this isn't in the right section. Mods, please move to Hardware*

2. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I second that. Where is that from and where can I get one?[​IMG]

3. Mark Shannon

I saw it this morning in a Best Buy flyer. It's also on the Best Buy Canadian website. Can't find it on the American site tho.

4. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i actually got this recently (had to replace my existing box) and yeah, it looks pretty sweet. i was hesitant to get it since the packaging makes the box look white and all my ht stuff equipment is black or dark metal. but my alternative was to get the black one and get some worthless game for $30 less, or get this one with Fable which i could sell and make the difference. the deciding factor was the new contollor was crystal too; i liked the idea of having all controllors different colours so passing it around in multiplayer situations is less confusing.

anyways, i opened up the box and saw the box is more metal than white, so it looks pretty nice. it makes the green light on the power button look even cooler.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Sweet case! Yeah, modding it with LEDs would be something... [​IMG]

6. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Thats it, im getting one

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Yeah pretty sweet. Only problem now is moving all my info from one box to another. [​IMG]

8. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

The Crystal Xbox is a limited edition model that's exclusive to Canadians and Europeans. I have one waiting for me when I visit my folks for Christmas, so I'm anxious to return home (for a change [​IMG] ). I'm disappointed with the selection of included games in the US Holiday Bundle, and none of the prior limited edition models struck my interest, much less find a place in my HT setup (translucent green? Really??!!?!) Having a Crystal Xbox saved me ~$100, as I was contemplating having it repainted in silver.

9. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Is it possible to order from Best Buy Canada and have it delivered to the U.S.?

The $249 price converted is about $210 USD, plus I think EBgames is still giving $100 for a used Xbox, so my net cost wouldn't be too bad. Shipping could kill the deal if it's outrageous though. It's too bad I didn't know about this before, my wife's sister came in from Canada last week to visit for Thanksgiving.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

anybody have any info on those xbox clear-case mods you can get from ebay, etc? are they any good, nice fit, etc -- or are they pretty crappy?

11. Ken Chui

According to the website, BBC does not ship to addresses outside of Canada.

12. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

Ted: I got a clear case from ClearPS2 / ClearXbox when they were a little less expensive (preorder phase). I like it pretty well, it's not "smoke clear" like the Crystal or Halo Xbox, it's just pure clear. Also, it does not replace the bottom/back portion of the Xbox, but from normal viewing angles you can't see that. Instructions would have been nice (maybe they fixed that) as even though taking apart an Xbox is pretty easy, pulling off the original front faceplate and button panel isn't really intuitive. Mine also came with some parts which can be used to basically have a clear DVD drive, which I didn't know what they were for until I looked on some other forums. Another thing to look out for is almost all of the clear case mods have no metal EMI shielding on the replacement parts (the Crystal and Halo do). Some people get video distortions due to this and have to revert back, but it seems fairly rare. I have my Xbox in a rack full of other running equipment, and don't notice any interference at all.

13. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I picked up the Crystal Xbox last night and it looks much better in person than the pictures! I love the silver logo. The Controller-S is nice too. Its good to have Fable free. Too bad I already have Crimson Skies.

14. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Why don't we get cool things like this in the U.S.? [​IMG]

Well, I guess I wouldn't really sell my X-Box to get this one anyways...

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx for the info ryan. i may have to look into that. for some reason i see a solder gun and some led's in my future. [​IMG]

16. Mark Shannon

Tivo is only available in the US. Are you saying Tivo isn't cool?[​IMG]

17. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

I bought a crystal xbox recently to replace one I gave away. It was nice only paying £95 for it instead of the £350 I think I paid when it launched originally.

The clear case is kind of pointless though, since the internals are shielded completely with a metal cage, so you can't see anything. I don't think you're missing much over there.

18. Ken Chui

Still, it's nice to have options. For those of us who have hardware with silver/chrome finishes, the Crystal Xbox is the perfect complement to our HT systems (which, you'll have to admit, looks infinitely better than the translucent green model offered a while back [​IMG] ). All I need now is a silver PS2 (or hope that SONY will have the good sense to offer a regular PS3 in silver, seeing as most of their electronics line have silver finishes).

19. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Another SE that looked awesome was the white Panzer Dragoon edition in Japan.

Moving this to Hardware.

20. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

Bell Canada is having a Promotion with an Exclusive Limited Edition Clear Blue Xbox. This is basically similar to the Holiday bundle that comes with Amped 2 and Top Spin but the case is Clear Blue and it comes with a Clear Blue Controller-S. It also comes with a 1 year Xbox Live kit with the communicator.

When you sign up to Bell Sympatico High Speed at a Bell World store, you can buy the above for a low price of $189.99 CAD!!!

Here's the information from their flyer.

[​IMG]