What's new

Crystal Ball time once again! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Three series I can think of, which seemed to be still syndicated back in the 1970s/early-80s (albeit even rather rare back then), then we're essentially dormant during the rise of the cable era, only to recently resurface on sub-channels, are "Our Miss Brooks," "Trackdown," and "The Californians."

You have it well narrowed down!

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
We have a winner!
MOD makes a lot of sense for Peyton Place. That way, anyone who wants it can get it, without the manufacturer having to flood the market. It'll be interesting to see how it's released--4-disc sets, 8-disc sets, "seasons"?

It'd be nice if the packaging included some at least minimal episode descriptions. Pretty easy to lose your place in 514 episodes of a serial.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
If it's OUR MISS BROOKS, I must say a year ago I'd have said, "Oh, boy!" and now I say, "Oh."

I've been watching it on MeTV, and it proves (not for the first time) that what I thought was so funny as a kid can seem really stupid as an old man.

But if it's narrowed down to "Our Miss Brooks," "Trackdown" and "The Californians," I'll bet it's "Brooks."

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I hate to pressure the crystal ball for particular info, but it has helped in this particular area before...Is the last season of Lou Grant in danger of disappearing forever from the Shout schedule? Or is it indeed just a minor production delay? It's been a month since the removal of the announcement and I'm starting to get a Name of the Game feeling. I'll be very pleased to be wrong.

Elements were an issue, since rectified.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Sunset Strip hasn't been dormant for decades. It aired on GoodLife this century and in Seattle before that.

Hillbillies had a release less than 3 years ago.
Neil, what does the crystal ball say about Jed and his kin? Should I continue to seek out the episodes from 3rd party sources or is CBS going to do the right thing?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Neil Brock for the reassurance regarding the source elements for Lou Grant season 5...good to hear...I was sure that the delay was caused by an elements issue...and I'm still suspicious of the Emmy connection...I'm not fully over my disappointment with the sources found for Lou Grant season 4's Great Emmy Awarded and Nominated episodes "Strike" and "Stroke"...two of the best from the whole series...noticeably inferior PQ, old transfers and washed out too, but watchable... a greater let down being the syndication edits (2+minutes cut) for these two episodes...the inexplicable time sped sources for "Catch" and "Venice" are easier to take, as PQ is very good...the other 16 episodes of season 4 are to the usual great standard and appear unedited...I'm just grateful to have them...but I wish that if Shout now has better sources for "Strike" and "Stroke" that they would present them as a bonus on season five's release...unless, of course, some of the final season episodes are likewise problematic...In which case, why bother...Shout has to proceed with what Fox offers them...
nancy-marchand-plays-mrs-margaret-pynchon-the-tough-publisher-of-the-picture-id515469024

002-lou-grant-theredlist.jpg

My favorite among favorites from the Great cast... Mrs. Pynchon, Nancy Marchand and a few of her Emmy wins...
actress-from-the-television-show-lou-grant-which-aired-from-19771982-picture-id516511064

et0620howard3copy-of-1982-file-photo-of-nancy-marchand-of-the-lou-picture-id569122743

31c22d076dc14ea41256fd0f46b27bd7.jpg

3a54aae50e578b491848d86f87670e48.jpg

Among other rumored Shout Factory offerings...I'm dearly hoping for Robert Culp's Trackdown...The Californians would be very nice too...I might just pick up Peyton Place...always liked Ed Nelson...

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Never heard of it either and looking it up, forget it as I have more than my fill of westerns on the shelf (unless Warner gives us "The Alaskans"). As for "Peyton Place" I wasn't among those clamoring for it, but I'm happy those who have will be getting more. I'd be interested in getting it only up to the end of the Stella Chernak storyline since Lee Grant is a terrific presence in that role.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Never heard of it either and looking it up, forget it as I have more than my fill of westerns on the shelf (unless Warner gives us "The Alaskans"). As for "Peyton Place" I wasn't among those clamoring for it, but I'm happy those who have will be getting more. I'd be interested in getting it only up to the end of the Stella Chernak storyline since Lee Grant is a terrific presence in that role.
The Stella Chernak story is definitely a high point. After some flailing around with non-dynamic storylines it got quite intense, especially with the presence of Ms. Grant.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I agree, we are well set for Westerns, but I think I'd want The Californians complete anyway...I have a handful from other sources...it was a relatively successful show, 69 episodes over 2 seasons, '57-'59...produced at Desilu for airing on NBC...I know it's not anywhere as good as another Desilu contemporary, the Great Yancy Derringer, but those Desilu production values are a plus for me...

I guess with The Californians on the way, Trackdown and Black Saddle remain in the wings...the great news being that Shout continues to release B+W TV, even those series beyond a short run that would better provide the 3 to 6 disc sets that Walmart would take on as an exclusive...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Perhaps Jack P.,Jason or another fan can answer this...was Lee Grant on Peyton Place for just the two seasons, 1964 to 1966? If so, would the Stella Chernak story arc be completed on the upcoming second season (1965-66) release?...for which this accomplished and classy actress won her first Emmy Award in 1966...IMDB lists 70 Peyton Place episode credits for Lee Grant, ending with S2 EP85...it's a hard show to keep track of, as it aired up to 3 nights a week...114 in it's first season, running right through the summer months as well...from Sept. 1964 to the end of August 1965 with no hiatus of course...I'm not a Soaps fan, but might be interested in the early seasons...
c449271d6f2308ce8607562461e0b8a3.jpg

lee-grant-peyton-place.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks